AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to purchase a house with a 17 by 14, normal closed room for my HT. Unfortunately, we got a good deal on a slightly bigger house with a lake view. I say unfortunately, because I was really looking forward to the HT possibilities in that other room.

The new specs of the game room are supposed to be 20 by 12, but it is upstairs with a large cutout in the middle of the long wall overlooking a two story great room. I am not going to close up the hole, i need to maximise re-sale and don't want to screw with the structure and the "open plan" idea of the house. I also may want to do something else with the room down the road.

How effective can curtains be at closing up the hole to watch movies? I would like to keep them open when i am not movie watching to keep the open-ness of the house.

It is not built yet, but I have attached pic of the room from the virtual tour of the plan available online.

Ideally I would like to put in two rows of seats. I would like to go front projection with a simple surround sound setup. Nothing real fancy on the audio side of things, but that big hole in the wall leading out to a two story greatroom is sure to screw up the sound royally.

How would two layers of thick curtain material with a layer of foam between them work? Do I want something to absorb sound or reflect it? I am not looking for perfection. Just something that will sound ok, given the limitations of the room.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

·
Registered
346 Posts
With heavy curtains you should be able to get near complete blackout. Sound isolation will be difficult, but light control shouldn't be hard. Drapes may cost a bit, but if you find someone who sews, not a problem! Enjoy the new homestead!

ArtT

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It looks like you could install some windows to close the room off. Windows would have the advantage of having an open effect, and you could use blinds for light and sound control. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Close it off completely. A HT is more important than a "Room with a View" :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Scott,

That's a fantastic space. Lousy for a HT but still a fantastic space. Closing it off would be tragic.

I'm thinking 1/2" tempered glass panels across the entire opening. Preserves the open feeling while reducing sound transmisssion quite a bit. Or, as Mit suggests, use windows instead. Divided light, double pane, wood windows would accomplish the same as the glass panels and - depending on one's taste, would look quite nice from the room below - particuarly if the room below also has divided light windows.

Finish up with light weight but room darkening drapes that you can open and close.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.