AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Long time "listener", first time "caller"!

I need input from you experts. I chatted with Ted today regarding soundproofing and he gave me some GREAT ideas. I'm hoping that with a little bit of visualization, I can get some of you to comment on the design.

I really need 6 seats (we have 3 kids and an "oops" on the way). I only have about 11' x 24' in an unfinished corner of my basement. The corner has concrete walls; each wall with a small basement window (about 18" tall by 24" wide?). I plan on covering those w/ the insulation / drywall.

My wife wants "aesthetically nice" french doors on the entrance, so Ted suggested a double door entry as I have pictured as the french doors will kill any sound proofing.

Can you guys comment on my seating placement, theater dimensions and possibly speaker placement? I'm mostly concerned about the left/right surrounds. I think the rear surrounds will go nicely in the back corners?

THANK YOU FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS!!

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like fun. :)

Are you planning on doing an acoustically transparent screen and false wall (with speakers behind) or are you going to put the screen on the wall and speakers next to it? From the drawing, it looks like a deep stage, so I'm guessing the former. If so, I don't think you're leaving yourself enough room length-wise. Depending on the size of your screen you will need to be anywhere from 10'-12' from the screen at the front-row viewing distance, and then you'll need about 6.5' minimum behind the first row for the second row (if you're using recliners). That's 17-19 feet from the screen minimum, so it'll be tight. I'm thinking that some of your dimensions in your drawing are off, because I don't think you'll have all that room at the back if your rationalize your drawing based on real distances needed, etc. I had to give up on the false wall in my current build because of a length issue, but I wasn't using a bunch of the room for a lobby. :) If I had that room, I would use it in theater, myself. Maybe there is a chance of talking your wife out of the French doors?

Otherwise, I like the design. Looks like a good use of space.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
+1 for ditching the rear entry.

And that front row looks to be very close to dead center of the length. If so, that's bad audio-wise.

The false wall + AT screen, will allow for a larger screen without forcing the center channel down low,
and having the front row block the center channel for the second row.

I'd center the seating if you can find a narrower seat option that works. Or consider a room flip, with side entry.
Go with a 2 seat King Queen row with three seats in the second row. A deep riser step and a couple of bean bag
chairs could go on the steps to accommodate seven. The little ones would love the bean bag seating.

·
Registered
164 Posts
With @Tedd helping you out, you're in great hands.

The only comment I can add is for the kids "overflow seating". I found a fantastic ottoman that converts to a two-seat "love seat" that is ideal for kids. It even has storage underneath the seat.

It was at Costco for $149. Similar to this: http://costcocouple.com/true-innovations-skylar-gaming-chair-ottoman/ It's the same brand name.. but it's a two-seater. I just got mine less than 2 months ago, so I bet they are still there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Thank you all for the very quick responses!

I will see what I can tweak out of SketchUp later. I'm learning how to use it slowly as I try to plan this thing out.

I am trying to use an AT screen and false wall. I really love that "clean" look at the front. I did review 24Changer's build (LOVE the stone & Layout)... I currently have about 4 ft total for the front stage allocated. I can shrink that considerably similar to his? Maybe I can get down to 2.5-3 ft (saves me 12 inches...YEAH)?

Great point on the chairs being too close. Seems they were just under 5 feet from back to back...probably way too close.

I would LOVE to convince the wife out of the french doors and thus remove the lobby. She is currently a pregnant hormonal mess, so I am choosing battles wisely. :) If I can do that, will the room be too long now acoustically? I really wish I had more than 10.5 feet of width to work with?!?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another "side" question on the audio.

I currently own some of the Boston Acoustics VS series. I have 2 of the VS260's and 1 center channel VS325CBB.

Given that these aren't made anymore, what should I do for my surrounds and subs? Should I sell these and then buy a whole new setup? Or is there something that anyone could recommend to acoustically match these (I'm not a super audiophile...I prob wouldn't hear much of a difference).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woohoo!

Got the green light to remove the French Doors, so that means I don't need that "lobby". Anyone have thoughts on the acoustics of such a long / narrow space? Seems like it could be negative?

Any chance I could pull off a 3rd row successfully?

I'll play in SketchUp to see if it physically fits. If anyone can comment on aesthetics and acoustics I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Woohoo!

Got the green light to remove the French Doors, so that means I don't need that "lobby". Anyone have thoughts on the acoustics of such a long / narrow space? Seems like it could be negative?

Any chance I could pull off a 3rd row successfully?

I'll play in SketchUp to see if it physically fits. If anyone can comment on aesthetics and acoustics I'd greatly appreciate it!
What about doing a mini-bar with 3 stools at the back for "overflow" seating. I've seen many build threads with similar examples of this.

There is a sticky thread with hours of reading available for learning about acoustical treatments. I think with some absorbers and diffusers on the walls you can make a long room work very nicely... but each space is unique.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Another "side" question on the audio.

I currently own some of the Boston Acoustics VS series. I have 2 of the VS260's and 1 center channel VS325CBB.

Given that these aren't made anymore, what should I do for my surrounds and subs? Should I sell these and then buy a whole new setup? Or is there something that anyone could recommend to acoustically match these (I'm not a super audiophile...I prob wouldn't hear much of a difference).
I don't know much about specific Boston Acoustics models, but I do know that they have been making very well regarded speakers for a very long time. I would keep what you have and spend the money on better subs. Timber matching front speakers is important, but not so much for surrounds. Any decent small speaker will work just fine.
Speaking of subs, check out some of the do it yourself options. The performance per dollar is phenomenal.

I hear you about the 10.5' width. I'm contemplating moving my theater to a room 11' wide. Are there support posts in the way or a stairwell? Any chance you can cheat the center wall over 6 inches or so. Often support posts can be hidden very effectively by a decorative theater column.

Subscribed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know much about specific Boston Acoustics models, but I do know that they have been making very well regarded speakers for a very long time. I would keep what you have and spend the money on better subs. Timber matching front speakers is important, but not so much for surrounds. Any decent small speaker will work just fine.
Speaking of subs, check out some of the do it yourself options. The performance per dollar is phenomenal.

I hear you about the 10.5' width. I'm contemplating moving my theater to a room 11' wide. Are there support posts in the way or a stairwell? Any chance you can cheat the center wall over 6 inches or so. Often support posts can be hidden very effectively by a decorative theater column.

Subscribed.
Thanks for the reply's! Sorry...Spring Break time here in Indiana, so we've been away for the past week and a half. I'll be picking back up on this HT design in the next couple days.

Regarding the DIY sub options...I have a 15" sub (raw) that I bought a LONG time ago. That might not be a bad idea to look into building it into a case w/ amp. Although, I'm not sure if 15" is TOO big for HT? (I know...I know...is there such thing as too much or too big??) :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about doing a mini-bar with 3 stools at the back for "overflow" seating. I've seen many build threads with similar examples of this.

There is a sticky thread with hours of reading available for learning about acoustical treatments. I think with some absorbers and diffusers on the walls you can make a long room work very nicely... but each space is unique.
Thanks Eikon.

My wife REALLY REALLY wants 9 seats in the theater now. Our neighbor has a similar space w/ 9 seats, so she thinks it is doable (although she nor my neighbors care a lot about acoustics). I think w/ 9 seats, the front row is likely too close and the back row is on top of the rear surrounds and it is likely altogether too crowded.

I guess we'll see...

·
Registered
544 Posts
My wife REALLY REALLY wants 9 seats in the theater now. Our neighbor has a similar space w/ 9 seats, so she thinks it is doable (although she nor my neighbors care a lot about acoustics). I think w/ 9 seats, the front row is likely too close and the back row is on top of the rear surrounds and it is likely altogether too crowded.
Oh man, 9 seats is crazy. Good luck making her changing her mind. Try to convince her you could put 6 seats, plus a few puffs near the front.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 for ditching the rear entry.
I'd center the seating if you can find a narrower seat option that works. Or consider a room flip, with side entry.
Go with a 2 seat King Queen row with three seats in the second row. A deep riser step and a couple of bean bag
chairs could go on the steps to accommodate seven. The little ones would love the bean bag seating.
Hey Tedd. I somehow missed that part about the "room flip". With such a narrow space, is this possible? I assume you mean making a 24' wide x 10.5' deep room (screen on the 24' wide wall)? Are there any good examples in these forums that you could point me to?

Unfortunately, I am bound to the ~10.5' width as my gas lines (seen hanging in the photo) and the furnace are right about 11.5-12' away from that concrete wall.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I was suggesting a 180 degree flip, and a side door entry in front of the seating.

Nine seats is over stuffing that space. Three rows of three, is going to eat up height fast.
Now a raised bar row and two rows of three should be workable. But if the room mid dedicated,
all those bodies present challenges in cooling and air exchanges. Exactly how tall is the room?
I would suggest you consider that while the width is limited, the height of the room might be a
bigger limiting factor.

I wonder if two rows of six stadium high back seats, and some of BIGmouthinDC's big ass
riser steps would offer up overflow space for bean bag chairs?

You do have length for an AT screen so would something like this 3 seat wide version of this room
be an design direction? With the narrower seats, wider aisles and deeper riser steps offering overflow
kid (-desirable) seating, might this be something that checks off all everyone's "wants" boxes?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another thought is to have those gas lines reworked and relocated, if that can buy you
extra room width.
I did already have them move the gas lines over, but I am still limited by my furnace. Here is a picture of the wall that backs up to the furnace. You can see I am RIGHT on top of it (maybe an inch or 2 away from the PVC pipe that comes out of the furnace.

This means I am stuck with about 10.5' from stud to stud. Once I factor in 2 layers of drywall + GG and the clips/channel on the "furnace wall", I'd guesstimate that I am losing about 3-4 inches. So effectively, I'll have 10' 2-3" in room width once the walls are up.

Ceiling height is around 8.5' (possibly 9'...I'll go measure in a bit again).

Also...another note...I plan on putting all equipment in that back corner you see in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Crazy Spring and coming up on Summer!

I did make some progress in a little planning and some progress w/ construction as well. First some "conceptual" images (Thanks to Silva741!)

Currently I have 19" aisles on the left and right of the front row (with |00|0| config), and a 19" aisle on the back row (with |0000| config). I like that I can SQUEEZE seating for 7 in there, but I'm a bit worried about the narrow aisles. We are a fairly "small boned" family, so we should fit fine, but if we have guests over, it could be a tight squeeze!

Some quick notes thus far:

DW+ GG all around with clips + channel on ceiling and 1 side wall (other 2 walls are 1 inch away from concrete foundation)

Epson 5030ub projector
AT Screen w/ about 22" behind the screen (heavily considering a move to a 16x9 screen)
Boston Acoustics VS Series (retired) for LCR behind the screen
Plans for DIY Sub (or 2) behind the screen as well

NEED SUGGESTIONS: Surrounds and Rear speakers...with such a narrow room, I'm not sure what to do here that meets the WAF as well as sounds great! I'm considering the Volt 10LX's...

Riser is 12" and covers the whole back or room with a step outside the theater onto the riser.
28" wide by ~7" deep soffit
Future plans for starfield on ceiling
Seating: Palliser Stereo

Edit to try out photobucket (rather than thumbnails):

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts