Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My father bought my new husband and I a 42" panny plasma and a panny htib (th ht-730) for the wedding .

I have realized that the panasnoic htib doesn't have digital audio inputs, which, i think, means that we won't be able to hear our cable in surround sound.

We will be able to return the htib for $300, and we're willing to spend another $200 or so.

What system would you reccomend? Should I stick with htib or go component?

We need a DVD player also for that price.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

-Kristen

·
Registered
593 Posts
That is the only downfall of the panny htib products, no optical inputs. I have the 930 version but it is fine for me.

If they can take everything back and you really need that optical input then do it. You cannot use your sub anymore because of the proprietary plugs that panny uses. Or you can spend money to get a new sub and receiver, but then you will not have cash for them. So I guess your best bet is to take it back and get what you want. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
don't know how much work you want to put into this, but here are your best options. none of these include a dvd player, but you can get a decent player for $50 anywhere. if you want an upconverting dvd player, you'll be over your $500 budget

all in one system: onkyo hts-780 or yamaha yht-360. you can find these systems for less than $500.

components: several options, see the "HTiB killers" thread....though you might go slightly north of $500 piecing a system together. to fit into your budget, you'll have to consider refurbished receivers.

remember that you'll be buying several different cables and/or speaker stands/mounts which can add several dollars to your initial purchase.

as a personal recommendation, i would go the component route. a little bit more work and $$, but you will get the most sound quality out of your investment. i recently bought an HTiB and am in the process of selling it off and replacing it with components....the hassle is worth it, at least for me.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
What he said.

As for the dvd player, I'd look long and hard at the Pio 588 or the Sammy 850 or 950.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you want to keep it in the family (Panasonic) then the SC-HT17 or SC-HT15 are great choices, there's no dvd player (I think that is actually a positive thing), they're in your price range and have 2 optical and 1 coax digital audio input (how did you ever live without them?).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We didn't!

We've only had the TV and the htib for 2 weeks, and the cable box for less than a day. As soon as I started to try and figure out how to connect everything I realized that the htib we had wasn't going to work.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will look into to everything you've suggested.

I'm going to speak to my husband, right now I'm leaning between the following two options:

onkyo 780 htib

or

(for a little more $)

sammy 850 dvd

panny xr 55 reciever

polk speakers (from outpost.com)

dayton 12" sub

wow, I wouldn't have even known what those components were a few days ago! Now, i feel like if we end up with a htib, we'll really be missing out.

thanks for all your help, feel free to comment on my possibilities...

-Kristen

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Compared to what you have now, I think you'll be very happy with either of those two choices. Of course, I think the second option is better and a real upgrade in terms of audio fidelity.... ;)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal275
(for a little more $)

sammy 850 dvd

panny xr 55 reciever

polk speakers (from outpost.com)

dayton 12" sub

wow, I wouldn't have even known what those components were a few days ago! Now, i feel like if we end up with a htib, we'll really be missing out.

thanks for all your help, feel free to comment on my possibilities...

-Kristen
Kristen,

You've got a great Dad...and from your posts, I'd marry you myself ;) Congratulations...

The suggestion above will take the "I wonder if" out of the equation for a few years (or months if you stick around here). A bunch of us tried and loved the Onkyo 770 just enough to want more quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.