AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a home theatre set up in my house but all of my speakers are relatively ancient. I want to replace the whole set with new ones with a budget of around $3000. I can go higher if necessary to get a good jump in performance. I currently have a 5.1 setup with a Denon ACR-590 receiver, Panasonic P65V10 tv, and a PS3. I'm not an audiophile but I like it loud ;-)

I occasionally like to use the system to play rock/alternative music so the speakers have to work from this perspective too.

Also, I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago (Hoffman Estates) and cannot find that many places to listen to speakers. There is Simply Stereo, Barrett's, and a couple of other very small places. Does anyone have any other ideas on listening to speakers?

My current best sounding setup is this from Sound Forum in Lake in the Hills, IL:

Paradigm CC-290 center, Monitor 9 left/right, mini-Monitor rears, and DSP-3200 sub. Total price is around $2400.

I'm looking for a setup that will beat the above. If I can listen to it locally, that would be even better.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would check out Saturday Audio in Chicago. They are a PSB Dealer and have great deals on their Image Series. PSB is a Canadian Company like Paradigm and makes accurate, well engineered Speakers.

With 2500 Dollars, you could put together an excellent 5.1 Speaker setup.

Something like the Image T65 (Mains), C60 (Center Channel), T45 (Surround) and either a PSB Subwoofer or an SVS PB-12NSD should meet your budget.

You would have dual Tower Speakers for Front and Surrounds and a large Center Channel.

Here is a review of the Image Series: http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speaker...psb/index.html

And another : http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...ubsonic_6i.htm

Again Saturday Audio offers really nice discounts on these Speakers and they are truly quite good.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Santapimp - I am pretty sure I listened to the Paradigm Studio speakers. They were very nice but considerably more expensive. If I recall correctly, approximately 2x more. Could have just been the store too though. Thanks for the recommendation though. If I see the Paradigms again, I will make sure to hear them side by side to verify what I remember.

@Audiodork - Thanks for the recommendation on Saturday Audio. I will go visit their store as soon as I can arrange it. I like the configuration you listed except for the sub. I think an Epik or Rythmik would be better for the price. I think that configuration would get very loud but sound very nice. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
180 Posts
since it is for mostly HT, with your budget I would consider 3 JTR triple 8's for left, right and center duty and then upgrade the surrounds later. they will definitely handle your desire to listen loud

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savefarris /forum/post/18275343

since it is for mostly HT, with your budget I would consider 3 JTR triple 8's for left, right and center duty and then upgrade the surrounds later. they will definitely handle your desire to listen loud

Triple 8s would be awesome no doubt but that would take up his entire 3K budget and he'd still need a sub. I agree he could buy surrounds at a later date but unless he finds some used Triple 8s they're just outside his price range. Unless I misunderstood and the 3K is for only the lcr and surrounds.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/18275749

Triple 8s would be awesome no doubt but that would take up his entire 3K budget and he'd still need a sub. I agree he could buy surrounds at a later date but unless he finds some used Triple 8s they're just outside his price range. Unless I misunderstood and the 3K is for only the lcr and surrounds.

I did not see a sub mentioned, but I assume that he will need one or more. He did say he could go higher if it was a jump in performance. Well, JTR's is definitely a jump in performance.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/18276686

I did not see a sub mentioned, but I assume that he will need one or more. He did say he could go higher if it was a jump in performance. Well, JTR's is definitely a jump in performance.

My mistake. I just assumed from the second to last sentence of his initial post that he wanted to include a sub in the 3K budget. Know what they say assuming.
But I agree that Triple 8s would be a great choice if he did intend to spend 3K on the speakers.

Wday63, the company mjg and I are talking about is in the Chicago area(not sure exactly where) so you can pop in for a listen before you decide to buy. Here's a link http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/triple-8ht/

Another good choice would be the Klipsch THX series speakers. They retail for $1500 a piece but I've found them online for less than 1K a piece(sorry can't find the link right now) and there is a pretty good deal on a set on audiogon http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....hx-from-Ultra- I have no affiliation with the seller.

As for a sub, if you're a little handy(if you're not then skip the rest of this paragraph) then a very good and very cheap choice is a tht. There are plenty of threads about it in the diy section. Here's a pretty good one http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1231877 The downsides to the tht are that it's big(no I mean BIG) and therefore has a very low WAF. So if you have to share this room with a SO then it's likely a poor choice.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to admit that I like the idea of having those JTRs in the house. I also have to admit that my wife would not. I think even with a rudimentary set of rears, those would wake all the sleepy people in my quiet neighborhood as well as 2 towns over.

I also do not want to spend my entire budget (and a bit more at MSRP 3x $1200) for the LCR. I need all 5 preferably matched with a good sub like an Epik or Rythmik.

I will go listen to the PSBs as mentioned earlier in the thread. The reviews were pretty good.

I've listened to the Klipsch Reference series, but I think they would make my ears hurt. Too bright.

Anything else in the price range to look at for HT?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wday63 /forum/post/18282077

I have to admit that I like the idea of having those JTRs in the house. I also have to admit that my wife would not. I think even with a rudimentary set of rears, those would wake all the sleepy people in my quiet neighborhood as well as 2 towns over.

I also do not want to spend my entire budget (and a bit more at MSRP 3x $1200) for the LCR. I need all 5 preferably matched with a good sub like an Epik or Rythmik.

I will go listen to the PSBs as mentioned earlier in the thread. The reviews were pretty good.

I've listened to the Klipsch Reference series, but I think they would make my ears hurt. Too bright.

Anything else in the price range to look at for HT?

The JTR T8's are internet direct for $999 plus shipping I believe. As for the THX Klipsch, it is a nice system,but the JTR's would be an upgrade. Also I saw a post about a month ago in the Klipsch thread where a guy bought a new 7.1 THX Klipsch system with the two subs for a little over $4,000. If interested in that system, I would hunt him down and find where he bought it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts