AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the seven-year itch finally kicked in. Here is what my theater looked like six weeks ago.

I saw some good postings, and couldn't stay away from some ideas I noticed, especially the acoustics panels in YzfBossman's theater. I just got to have it.

I have spent about six weeks of "weeknights and weekends", and this is the current status.

Front view:

Rear view:

I've been busy working my butt off, and not have time to post, but I'm taking pictures as I progress, and I will be taking few breaks to post the column and ceiling details next week, and the updates going forward.
Thanks to other members who has posted in the past, (this is my second rodeo), and believe me, I'm always learning something new every time I login.

Major construction is halfway, next is the moldings..... And yes, there will be lots of them, especially in the ceiling, and around the columns.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had to hold off on the theater build to build a side project, compliments of my Home Owners Association. I need to add a cover for my trash bins on the side of the house.

Quick re-intro for my theater:

Seating:
3 in front row, 3 in the rear.

Screen:
142” diagonal 2.35 Seymour acoustically transparent curved screen at 40 degrees radius (DIY project)

Projector:
Panasonic AE-7000U 3D projector + sliding Anamorphic lens

Gear:
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Oppo BDP-103 BluRay
Popcorn Hour A-410
DirecTV
Polk Audio TSi200 Bookshelf for fronts (Will replace with Klipsch RF-82ii), and then become Rear surround
Polk Audio center (Will replace with Klipsch RC-62ii)
Klipsch RS-52ii (Surround speakers)

Lighting:
Lutron Caseta in four zones

Remote:
iRule app runs it all.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Column details:

I got most of the ideas from the forum, and i tweaked a little to match what I'm looking for. I will eventually wrap the opening with a panel molding and build a panel cover with speaker cloth material.

Test with Klipsch RS-52ii surround speaker.

Six of Eight completed.

A view of wall of columns.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Coffered Ceiling:

The design was based on 6x3 = 18 boxes.
Construction material was mostly 3/4" plywood.
Started with the long span across the room, and built the cross pieces, and attach with screws, one box at a time.

Span #1 completed, a couple of cross pieces attached.

These clamps were very helpful in holding things down before applying screws.

Row by row, Cross piece by cross piece:

Completed, 1/2 inch bottom piece added, and I ran the electrical wires for the 4-inch can lights.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Misc

The trusted Kreg jig was very instrumental in the assembly process.

My kitchen island becomes an extension of my garage. Makes the perfect assembly table.

My cars are very jealous of my tools right now. They've been temporarily kicked out of the garage.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ceiling Speaker help

The coffered ceiling has about 6-inches plywood-made beams.
I just purchased two in-ceiling speakers, and i would like to know what your recommendation is between these two options.

Option 1:
Build a 6-inch plywood box that matches the existing coffer beams and install the speaker inside the box.

Option 2:
Install the speaker in the drywall inside the coffer. I'm just worried about heat in the attic. It's about 120 degrees up there around July/August.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
The coffered ceiling has about 6-inches plywood-made beams.
I just purchased two in-ceiling speakers, and i would like to know what your recommendation is between these two options.

Option 1:
Build a 6-inch plywood box that matches the existing coffer beams and install the speaker inside the box.

Option 2:
Install the speaker in the drywall inside the coffer. I'm just worried about heat in the attic. It's about 120 degrees up there around July/August.

Thanks
I would think install in ceiling with backer boxes in attic. Here in Phoenix , our attics get a lot hotter than that and my speakers are fine. Just a thought.
P.S. Room looks great!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts