AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally mounted the Elite CineTension2 Screen and VPL-VW60. The black screen case is destorying everything in the room, my wife and I totally upset it's crashing with rest of the decorations in this room. Is there anyways to make it blend it with rest of the wall or something?

Also, the projector HDMI/VGA cables had to be installed from ceiling to front wall (as we had no other option to go via inside the wall), so we bought a cable hider, and that too looked very nasty. Any options?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Perhaps a window cornice placed over the screen, painted to match the wall or trim.

Why couldn't you bring the wires through the wall?

Any chance of relocating the cable hider to the corner of the room and running it along the top of your trim to the screen? Still visible but not as obvious as running up the middle of the wall.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not to worry, this is all part of the never ending fun of home theater.
. Screen boarder could be masked with molding as stated. You could run the wire behind crown molding if u want and only snake the portion from the ceiling to the floor/components in the wall. Take some time to plan out ur solution and if all else fails hire a professional. If u r handy, or willing to learn, u should be able to work this out. I can't count the number of times I've been frustrated with problems only to come up with a simple and elegant solution. The results are worth the trouble so keep at it!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do I buy that long of a window cornice?

I had a professional person put the wire, and he wasn't able to reach to drill the externall wall from attic. Running wires behind the crown molding was hard, crown molding is nailed down.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomon /forum/post/19534042

Where do I buy that long of a window cornice?

I had a professional person put the wire, and he wasn't able to reach to drill the externall wall from attic. Running wires behind the crown molding was hard, crown molding is nailed down.

A Google search found this site if you are up to making your own.
http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...indow-cornices

If you don't want to build it yourself, I believe you can order a custom one from this site
http://www.cornicekits.com/

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Those look like pretty easy fixes.

I'm surprised the installer couldn't do a better job. I'd bring him back to do it right, or hire someone who will. You get what you pay for.

To do it right-

1. Hide the screen in a 'cornice' - just a box, painted to match the wall, that surrounds the screen. You could decorate it with some molding, but I think that would just draw more attention to it. A white-colered screen would have been better.

2. The installer couldn't get to the top of the wall from the attic, but he can make a hole in the wall behind the screen. The screen would be removed from the wall, you cut a hole, and the cables are passed into that hole, down the wall. There may be a 2x4 inside the stud cavity, mounted horizontally, at about chest height, that was placed for fireblocking, but builders are inconsistent, and it may not be there. You can drill through it from above or below, with a long Flexibit or D'versabit. You may be able to find it before you start, looking with a stud finder. I'm surprised the installer couldn't get to the top of the wall, maybe he didn't want to lie on his stomach on bare joists in the attic. More diligence may allow someone to drill down from the attic. Or, one could drill up from the hole in the wall, behind the screen. When the screen is hung again, it would cover the hole you put in the wall. Or, if the hole is larger, you drywall and paint.

Cutting the drywall, repairing, and painting, is also pretty cheap and easy, especially if it's hidden behind the TV. I found a great drywall and painting guy, who is really cheap, about $20 to fix a double gang hole (if he's at the house doing something else).

That 'installer' did a crap job, because he didn't have time to do all of that. You probably didn't pay him enough.

Just my 2 cents.

The PM to a dozen people was kind of pushy. But I understand your deep frustration, with a half-assed job. With a little time, money, and patience, I think you'll be very happy with the result.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad /forum/post/19534319

I'm surprised the installer couldn't do a better job. I'd bring him back to do it right, or hire someone who will. You get what you pay for.

To do it right-

1. Hide the screen in a 'cornice' - just a box, painted to match the wall, that surrounds the screen. You could decorate it with some molding, but I think that would just draw more attention to it. A white-colered screen would have been better.

2. The installer couldn't get to the top of the wall from the attic, but he can make a hole in the wall behind the screen. The screen would be removed from the wall, you cut a hole, and the cables are passed into that hole, down the wall. There may be a 2x4 inside the stud cavity, mounted horizontally, at about chest height, that was placed for fireblocking, but builders are inconsistent, and it may not be there. You can drill through it from above or below, with a long Flexibit or D'versabit. You may be able to find it before you start, looking with a stud finder. I'm surprised the installer couldn't get to the top of the wall, maybe he didn't want to lie on his stomach on bare joists in the attic. More diligence may allow someone to drill down from the attic. Or, one could drill up from the hole in the wall, behind the screen. When the screen is hung again, it would cover the hole you put in the wall. Or, if the hole is larger, you drywall and paint.

Cutting the drywall, repairing, and painting, is also pretty cheap and easy, especially if it's hidden behind the TV. I found a great drywall and painting guy, who is really cheap, about $20 to fix a double gang hole (if he's at the house doing something else).

Hi, I think building a cornice in the front & side of the screen case would be the best option.

I paid the installer $250 (to mount screen, projector, wiring), but he said he wasn't able to reach the external wall for the cables, or maybe the reason was he didn't want to lay on his stomach on bare joists in the attic. I really hate seeing the cables in the middle of the wall, looks so nasty and crappy. I just hate seeing how it turned out.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
There's a 100 ways to make this more gooder. Do you really need other help?

Paint the damn thing or build a little soffit around it.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomon /forum/post/19534448

I just hate seeing how it turned out.

Do it yourself!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd say get a new wife, but that's probably more trouble that it's worth...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Nice job. Turned out great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks good! Much easier (and cheaper) than getting a new wife!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks good, turned out nice!

A moot point now, but if the ceiling joists run parallel with the screen, I would have recessed it into the ceiling.

Either way, it looks good.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 /forum/post/19572453

Looks good, turned out nice!

A moot point now, but if the ceiling joists run parallel with the screen, I would have recessed it into the ceiling.

Either way, it looks good.

The ceiling joists don't run parallel with the screen, that's why I went this route.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Cornice looks awesome! Nice work.

Why did you decide not to run the cable to the screen behind the drywall? Just too much work?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.