AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here with a quick question.

I am in the market for a new receiver to replace an older non-HDMI one. I have a tentative budget of around $500 for the receiver. I currently have two Polk Monitor 70s and a Polk CS2 for the center channel. I am using two older Infinity satelites that I'm using for rears but will upgrade those soon as well as a good sub. The room that I am using in the man cave is approximately 14 x 12 x 8 feet tall. We watch a lot of movies down there and play video games on the 360. Due to the room size, I'm probably leaning towards a 5.1 configuration.

So ... what do you guys recommend for around $500 that will push the speakers and has enough HDMI inputs to clear some clutter up? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm currently running the Onkyo 606 from '08-'09 pushing the Polk Monitor 70s, Monitor 50s, CSi A4 center and Velodyne sub. Pushes my system extremely well and my room is almost exactly the same size. If you go with the current 607, you'll get 6 HDMI inputs instead of the 4 that I have. For good sound and ease of use, I'd recommend either the Onkyo or the Pioneer 1019.

·
The Village Idiot
9,768 Posts
The SR607/RC160 is a great pick. Also in that price range take a look at the Denon 790/1910 . They have a step up from the Onkyo in room correction - using Audyssey MultEQ vs 2EQ in the Onkyo.

For a few dollars more (great movie!) you can get the Onkyo RC180 - it has networking built in and preamp outs so you could add an external amp for more power. And it has Audyssey MultEQ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.