AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on a receiver for a new home theater in my basement. It's not a dedicated theater as the back of the room is open to a bar and gameroom area. Because of this, back wall speakers are not really an option without using a recessed ceiling speaker.

I've been looking at the Onkyo TX-NR808 at around $600 but don't have need for the 7.2. I plan to do a 5.2 setup.

What receiver would you recommend with the following requirements:

5.2 capable minimum

ethernet capable

hdmi 1.4 with audio return

The room is approximately 17'wide x 27'deep

Thanks for the help. Although new to all of this stuff, I know a lot more now thanks to the AVS forums.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
You're not going to find a 5.2, so a 7.2 will be the way to go.

You could also hook up two subs with an RCA splitter to any 7.1 receiver, as well, since most low cost .2 systems simply use an internal splitter themselves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
You're not going to find a 5.2, so a 7.2 will be the way to go.

You could also hook up two subs with an RCA splitter to any 7.1 receiver, as well, since most low cost .2 systems simply use an internal splitter themselves.

Good to know. So 7.1 or 7.2 receiver will do the trick. Plan to put a sub behind the screen wall and another one either within (if that's works) or behind the raised seating platform.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliBri /forum/post/0

Good to know. So 7.1 or 7.2 receiver will do the trick. Plan to put a sub behind the screen wall and another one either within (if that's works) or behind the raised seating platform.

Subs are very tough to tune in walls and under floors, so make sure you do a ton of research before installing them in those locations. You'll probably need subs that are meant for those types of installs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Subs are very tough to tune in walls and under floors, so make sure you do a ton of research before installing them in those locations. You'll probably need subs that are meant for those types of installs.

The front sub will be behind a false wall that will be entirely covered with GOM fabric, no drywall. Rear sub will most likely just go next to the seating platform rather than in it for easier installation. I planned to go with 2 subs since the room is open in the back and I'm afraid 1 sub might not be enough in back.

The three front speakers will be behind an acoustically transparent screen with the sub off to the side behind the GOM fabric.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Don't be afraid to experiment with different sub placements. For each one, I'd recommend doing the "subwoofer crawl" test for proper placement. Do that with one sub at a time, and you'll end up with the best possible results.

You might be surprised where the best spots end up being for each sub!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.