AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a receiver and speaker system to complement a 51" widescreen hdtv for mostly ht use. 1500 is my max price to spend, but i'd like to keep it under that (since i'm sure cables and wire will add up real fast). I liked the Marantz 5200 the best of all the entry level receivers i've heard thus far but haven't heard the Outlaw 1050 and would like any feedback on that. As speakers go I've heard the JBL SCS150 set as well as an $800 Mirage set (center, 4 satellites, + subwoofer). I liked the Mirages set better but it costs more (forgot the mirage model #). I'd like more suggestions on speaker systems + sub for less than 1000. I.e. any thoughts on AR HC6 set up? Any other setups? I'd appreciate any help on this. The room is 11x18 w/ 10' ceilings and no carpeting.

kris

·
Registered
319 Posts
5.1? or 7.1? (I'm thinking you are asking about 5.1).

Any music factors? Stereo, SACD, DVD-A?

Does it matter if the surronds are monopoles or di/bipoles?

Does the $1500 include/exclude the source? What source _must_ you have? DVD, VCR?

Is buying receiver, center, fronts, saving up a bit more and then the rest later an option? (Kinda the approach I'm taking for the source, etc. Was going to do that with the speakers too, but found a set I really like).

Just my opinion, the wires don't have to add up quick... you can get cheap (but good) wire, and then after a few months (when your speakers break in) do an A/B with good wires to see if it's worth it. BTW, when you do get the good wires to check out, make sure they have a good return policy. ;)

I don't really have any good sugguests but thought I'd ask a few questions to help flesh things out a bit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Main consideration is HT. DVD and video games will be only source. maybe digital cable way down the line but i don't watch tv really. 1500 should include receiver and speakers. simplicity is virtue at first since i'm very new to this but as i start experiencing ht i will learn how my needs evolve. i'd rather get the best 5 speakers + sub package for less than 1000 (assuming receiver will cost @500) rather than buy fronts, surrounds, and center separately. While i'm sure that often leads to more freedom and better quality, it is difficult to do on such a small budget (from what i've seen so far anyway). keep the feedback comin!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Krisa,

If you really want the easy setup system, I would recommend one of "Home Theater in A Box" systems sold at CC or Best Buy. Or if you want the easiest, I'd say go with Bose 1-2-3 system ($999 retail). But you don't want that, and that's why you post here correct? :)

For your budget, and a little bit of setup effort, knowing what I know and read, I'd go with this setup:

Denon 1802 - (around $500 retail). Outlaw 1050 is good (I heard) but lacks Dolby ProLogic II processing which I think really benefits all kinds of listening. If you don't care, go with Outlaw.

JBL NSP1 Home Cinema Speaker Package. ($300 at J&R).

Hsu VTF-2 Subwoofer ($500 direct from hsuresearch.com).

You still have around $200 to buy cables and speaker stands.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would look at the axiom M3ti. I love mine, the sound great. If you shop around you can get a good price on them. PM me and I'll tell you where I got mine.

2 Pair of M3's and a VP100 Center for 640.00 ( Depends on exchange rate )

Adire Rava 399.00

Onkyo 600 - 430.00

Quite a setup for 1470.00

Just one of your many options, but a very good one IMO.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
krisa,

It should be fairly easy to put together a great system for less than $1500 here is good example for systems in your price range. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
957 Posts
Try www.crutchfield.com. I picked up the AR HC6 speakers for $599 and a Pioneer dolby digital/DTS 100 watt per channel reciever for $299.

Normally, I would spend FAR more than that on every single speaker in the system. But I put the system in a home I'm selling and I'm leaving them behind, so I didn't want to spend too much.

When I hooked them up, I was blown away by the quality of the sound (and I spent many years as a recording engineer). You could easily spend two to three times as much and not come close to the HC6 sound quality. They are that good. The speakers are AWESOME regardless of the price. Hear them and you'll agree, they have NO competition anywhere near their price.

Take my advice, spend the $900 on these two products and save the remaining $600 for another part of your system. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you know how they compare to the sound quality of AR's top of the line Hi-Res series? I would expect that from your impressions of the HC6 that they should sound a lot better themselves. Probably bigger, fuller sound with the drivers being bigger. Is this actually true though?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am generally not up on speakers in this price range (as an studio engineer, I work with studio monitors that start at around $4000 each and go up (way up) from there.

However, I would assume the Hi-Res line is better than the H6 speakers. They are also more expensive.

What I was saying is that for the money, the H6 combo cannot be beat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.