AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer who is renovating a once indoor pool. The room space that I have been given is 18x24, with a 22 foot ceiling. Performance is not the major concern here and I am thinking about going all out on a cool design that will take advantage of the high ceiling. Any thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Performance should be considered the most important element. You will often find that clients will use their systems less and less with a poor performing theater regardless of the aesthetic design, and begin to feel as though they wasted money and grow increasingly upset. High celings will allow for a larger visual presentation which definitely gives more of a 'cinematic" feel, but, as Dennis mentioned, the larger impact and more lasting impression of any cinematic experience comes from the audio presentation. I think as you dive into this a little more, you'll find that you can have both aesthetics and performance. They are not mutually exclusive. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Not the reaction I thought I would get. I was not talking about throwing some mediocre ht system in. I am a Triad dealer and would put a high quality system in. We float in the 25k to 50k realm. I would love to have the luxury of crazy and 500k systems. I was just trying to get some input of having such a high ceiling and the ramifications of doing so. I should have mentioned more in the beginning of my thread. Dennis I admire your work as well as any input you might have. I took a Cedia design course you taught in Denver a few years back and really got a lot out of that class. Usually when we design a ht room we are trying tom squeeze as much in tom product as we can. I was just trying to say that i would like to think more about acoustics, design, and making it pretty. Any thoughts.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,156 Posts
If I had a 22 ft room I would keep a 11 ft room for the theater and build a media hobby room/office with the equipment above. Taking out 2 ft for the floor joists, ceiling material and flooring leaves a play room with 9 ft ceilings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Considering the performance of the room first, how do you limit the sound loss and still keep the high ceiling. Furdown at 10 feet? Domed ceiling versus Millwork, etc. The room is nothing right now and I have full carte blanche with the Architect. I am not looking at design ideas as of yet, more looking at problems I will run into first.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Similar feel.. One of TK's with proportions closer to what your working with.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_protech /forum/post/19563169

the Architect

Problem number one as I see it. Unless the architect is a small room acoustical expert or works with a small room acoustical expert, my inclination would be to say thank you, but no thank you. Architects love soaring ceilings...along with lots of stone, glass, hard surfaces, etc., etc.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts

Quote:
Considering the performance of the room first, how do you limit the sound loss and still keep the high ceiling. Furdown at 10 feet?

Wot? Why do you think you need to fir down any number of feet to reduce sound loss? If you think you need to fir down "X" feet, why don't you think you need to have equally thick walls?

None of the rooms pictured can be had for a $50K budget. Not even close. Is the $50K your build/trim out budget or is that for the whole project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts