AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at house plans. The one we like best has space for a 11 X 19 room (9 ft. ceiling) that could be dedicated for HT. I've read posts about factors to use (1.65 I think) to determine length and width. However, I can not get a 15 X 25 room (using 9 ft. ceiling) in the house. I would like to have fairly accurate sound but am not a true audiophile. My receiver is a 5.1 but I may upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1 in the room. My TV is a Mits 65" RPTV.

As an aside, I was thinking about having the walls and ceiling spray foamed for insulation before adding the sheet rock. The floor will be a concrete slab (carpet covered). Is the foam insulation better or worse than fiberglass for sound insulating properties?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
Why is spray foam a no-no when used in-wall?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for letting me know about the foam. I thought that since it is denser it may not absorb the sound but rather transfer the sound to the other side of the wall.

What about the room size? Will this be terrible?

I currently have dipoles for my rear speakers. Could they be used in a room this size or will I need to change them to regular speakers?

My current setup is in our greatroom. It is in no way ideal. This is why I want a dedicated room in the new house.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello:

I must admit I was comfused by all the information available about resonances, room sizes, sound treatment etc. I did so much research I wasn't 100% sure how the room would turn out.. However, knowing something about sound I bit the bullet and went ahead converting my 20' x30' garage into at HT. The walls are 5/8" drywall, floor is carpet on a concrete slab, ceiling is 1/2" drywall, wallpapered with an embossed paper. Eleven heavy drapes are hung on the walls - one on each side of my 8'x6' screen, a pair on each side of three windows and the remainder spaced along the walls. Chairs are cloth covered LazyBoy recliners.

How did this come out? Better than I ever dreamed. I now find myself going into the room to listen to CD's, watch TV and of course watch movies.

We think the Surround sound is fantastic and couldn't be more satisfied.

This was a DIY project. Would the room be much better had I employed professional help? I don't know but it come out just fine and we love it so I guess I'll never know.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My guess on the foam vs. fiberglass is that that foam forms into a lump (if it's the stuff I am thinking of) while fiberglass stays fluffy and helps diffuse the noise through it's intricate networking of paths and valleys. :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Why is spray foam no good. I am trying to prevent echo/hollow sound in existing walls that I hope I don't want to have to tear into. I am not worried about the noise getting out unless that is where you loose sound quality. Trying to figure what I have to do before I start converting an existing basement room to a HT. It almost sounds like I should tear everything down and start over. I don't even know if there would be a hollow sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.