AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving in to my first home and my wife and I love to watch movies and listen to a lot of music. I want opinions from professional.

[ ] Sony STR-DH740 7.2 Channel 4K AV Receiver

For $260.00

[ ] Polk Audio Monitor 75T Four-Way Ported Floorstanding Speaker Cherry

For $470.00 pair

[ ] Polk Audio Monitor 45B 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers Cherry

For $220.00 pair

[ ] Polk Audio Monitor 25C Two-Way Center Channel Speaker Cherry

For $170.00

[ ] Orb Audio QuickPack

For $240.00

* I will add these later in a few months.

[ ] Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer

For $100.00

*I already have this Sub.

*Thinking of using this as a rear sub.

[ ] Total price: $1460.00

I will start building my setup slowly starting with the Receiver, bookshelf and center channel. I will wait for the Monitor 75T to go on sale.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by russd  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24472824

I think Newegg currently has the 75t's (pair) for $385 shipped, only saw it in black though. 45b's @ $160

Cherry is currently out of stock - on their email list and been checking everyday.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would run away from Polk Monitors screaming. They are nor great speakers, even for the low price. Don't be a slave to newegg, it really isn't a good deal. I would go for the Infinity Primus or Pioneer SP towers long before Polks. I wouldn't bother with tower speakers if you get a good subwoofer either. The main advantage of tower speakers is the deeper bass extension, but that is negated if you use a sub which would be taking over that bass frequency range. Forget towers. Also, just replace your subwoofer entirely, it is not a very good one. It will only get in the way of a better sub. Sell your subwoofer if you can, but whatever you do, for god's sake, don't use it.

Here is a 7.1 system that would be cheaper and a lot better:

six Infinity Primus p153 bookshelf speakers for front left/right and all surround speakers. $480
Infinity Primus c251 center speaker : $70
Sony STR-DN840 receiver : $375
Reaction BPS 212 Turbo subwoofer : $500

That system will come in less than $1500 shipped and is, in every way, an upgrade over the one you have listed.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yeah you can do better than the Polks. Also I agree with Shady just get rid of that sub or use it in a different room. You could also check out BIC FH6-LCR speakers. I think 7 of them would be pretty sweet. I have BIC/Acoustech speakers so I know what their sound signature is and I find it very good for the price. 7 of those speakers off of acousticsounddesign.com should cost somewhere around $700 shipped. I would also consider looking at accessories4less.com for Denon or Onkyo refurbished receivers. I prefer them because of the Audyssey Auto Room EQ. You can get a 7.2 receiver for around $300 on there. So that's about $1,000, so that leaves $500 for a sub. I would look at either the Reaction Audio sub that Shady recommended or the SVS PB1000. Then when you have more cash buy a 2nd identical sub.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Sleepy, for what it's worth, after reading and searching on here I upgraded/purchased an entire setup over the past few weeks, trying to get as much as I could out of limited money...not wanting HTIB or similar quality.

What I got (prices are total expense to me):

Pioneer SP-FS52LR towers front left/right, $250 for both (Amazon)

Pioneer SP-FSC22 center channel, $95 (Amazon)

Denon X1000 AVR $425 (but if you go to Best Buy right now it's $350+tax)

BIC America F12 subwoofer $200 (Amazon)

Pioneer SP-FS51LR towers (the previous gen) as rear surrounds, $190 for both (did not plan on these, long story, could save $ with the bookshelf speakers)

Total of those is $1,160....but if you get the X1000 at Best Buy (or any other AVR at ~$370 total expense), and get the bookshelf speakers for the surround/rear, it would be right at $1,000. 

If I could go back a few weeks and do it again, or do it all clean slate right now, I'd get the X1000 at Best Buy for $349.99, get bookshelves for the rear speakers, skip the BIC F12 altogether (would put all of the above at about $800) and then buy a $700-$800 subwoofer. Or the $500 SVS and come in under your budget? How large is the room this will be going in?

I'm quite happy with the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. They came up again and again and again in my research for being outstanding budget gear. If you haven't considered them yet, definitely look into it anyway.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
If you listen to music a lot, I wouldn't recommend the Polk Audio Monitors or RTi / RTiA sereis. The tweeter in those models are super bright and ear bleeding. However, some people like it. I had Polk Audio monitors, and to me they were awful for music. I audition the Polk Monitor RTiA7 from a co-worker since I was thinking of going with the RTiA line, and wow they were just as bright as the Monitors.

After doing a lot of research and talking to many manufacturers, I ended up buying the Arx speakers. They were a little bit over my budget, but man I am super happy with the sound. They sound great for music and movies. I would suggest for you to buy the best 3.0 + AVR set up you can get, and later on add the surround speakers and sub.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24475873

Here is a better setup for $1500

- Polk RTi8 Cherry Towers , $399.99 shipped

- Polk CSi5 Cherry Center , $274.99

- Polk RTi4's Cherry for Surrounds, $174.99

- Sony STR-DH840, $373

- NXG Technology NX-BAS-500 12" 500-watt Powered Subwoofer , $260 shipped

That will blow your proposed set-up out of the water. The RTi-Series of speakers is the previous RTi A-series of speakers and a higher line than Monitor's

This is a good setup!!

·
Registered
14,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24476059

If you listen to music a lot, I wouldn't recommend the Polk Audio Monitors or RTi / RTiA sereis. The tweeter in those models are super bright and ear bleeding. However, some people like it. I had Polk Audio monitors, and to me they were awful for music. I audition the Polk Monitor RTiA7 from a co-worker since I was thinking of going with the RTiA line, and wow they were just as bright as the Monitors.

After doing a lot of research and talking to many manufacturers, I ended up buying the Arx speakers. They were a little bit over my budget, but man I am super happy with the sound. They sound great for music and movies. I would suggest for you to buy the best 3.0 + AVR set up you can get, and later on add the surround speakers and sub.

Ever herd of a EQ?
My A7's sound fan****ingtastic after using the EQ in my Yamaha to tweak them.

I have listened to soo many different speakers over the years and Imo nothing sounds like a RTI. Of course there are many internet direct speakers that I have not herd which could easily sound better.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I would suggest the following:

HTD Level 2

Bookshelves x 2 = $398

Center x 1 = $129

Sub = Rythmik LV12R $589.00

AVR DENON AVR-2113CI 7.1ch $359.99 (you might have to pay for shipping for this)

Approximate total $1475.99

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24476080

Ever herd of a EQ?
My A7's sound fan****ingtastic after using the EQ in my Yamaha to tweak them.

I have listened to soo many different speakers over the years and Imo nothing sounds like a RTI. Of course there are many internet direct speakers that I have not herd which could easily sound better.

I ran out of EQ with my Monitors, and the RTi sounded similar. As I said before there are others that like bright sounding speakers. The only Polk Audio line I auditioned at Fry's Electronics were the LSiM line. They sounded awesome, but way out of my budget.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW Guys thanks. thats a lot of interest in this thread...

I guess there are tons of research to be done now.

The reason I was considering the Monitor was because of the Cherry wood color. My wife don't want me to get towers however she wouldnt mind if it flows with the living room.

She wants a soundbar.... SAVE ME FROM THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

I also consider the Fluance but from what i heard their speaking matchings isnt great.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24478492

The reason I was considering the Monitor was because of the Cherry wood color. My wife don't want me to get towers however she wouldnt mind if it flows with the living room.

She wants a soundbar.... SAVE ME FROM THIS!!!!!!!!!!!.

The HTD Level Three bookshelf and center, also comes in cherry
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Bookshelf-Speakers

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Center-Channel-Speaker

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24478763

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24478492

She wants a soundbar.... SAVE ME FROM THIS!!!!!!!!!!!.

http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Center-Channel-Speaker

I find of a lot of people recommending HTD I've never heard of them.

Do they really sound that good?

The towers don't come in cherry but I did some reading and I could special order it for $100 extra.

Sent from my d2v1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24478763

I've never heard the HTD, are they really that awesome? seems like a lot of people here recommend it.

Do anyone knows here in Toronto where i could listem to them?

BTW the tower cherry have a premium for $100 extra

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez  /t/1522200/ht-setup-for-under-1500-00#post_24479010

I've never heard the HTD, are they really that awesome? seems like a lot of people here recommend it.

Do anyone knows here in Toronto where i could listem to them?

BTW the tower cherry have a premium for $100 extra

They are nice - I have owned their products - they are nice for both HT and music.

However, being in Canada will add to the shipping - They are internet only, no local dealers.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:

She wants a soundbar.... SAVE ME FROM THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

I also consider the Fluance but from what i heard their speaking matchings isnt great.
The Polk RTi Speakers I recommended are better than the Monitor's I found them in cherry too to make your wifey happy.

Too bad you are in canada though the free shipping only apply to the USA

1 - 19 of 19 Posts