AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a receiver and speakers for my first ever real HT system. Previous experience was HTIB so I won't count it. My wife bought my a 32" Sanyo LCD (DP32746) TV and an RCA HDMI DVD (drc257) player for XMAS .... God Bless her! I know these models are not top of the line, but neither am I ;-) The picture looks awesome to me so far. I have both setup to 1080i because it seemed to give a better picture than 720p ... have been told this is subjective and you need to try it both ways?!

Any way I plan on putting this tv above the fireplace and the receiver and other components behind in the shelf unit behind the wall (see 3d model pics below).

1) I would like to HDMI switching for sake of ease and I don't think I need to worry about upscaling because I am sending at 1080i already ... correct?

2) The room is square and has wood laminate floor over concrete slab ... any specific problems that I should worry about?

3) I will already need some sort of IR signal repeater device to get around the wall, but my wife asked if it was possible to run a cable (component or hdmi) upstairs through the floor to our bedroom right above this room in order to watch the HD/DVR cable or DVD ... is it possible and would I need RF to do this?

I have auditioned a Yamaha RXV 659 (no HDMI) for $499 and Paradigm Cinema 110 speakers for $799 at a local A/V store. Another one deals with Denon and some other stuff but I haven't been able to demo yet. We have limited local stores here, mostly big box stores. I would rather get a better price on the net but only if it is a killer deal as I know I would lose the warranty. I have also thought of the Onkyo 604/657, and the Denon 2307; for speakers I have also thought of Velodyne Front row and some sub, Athena, or anything else someone cares to suggest. We watch DVDs and TV primarily ... no music. No budget set in stone, but originally planned on $1000 ... looks like I will bust it.

Thanks for any help you can provide, I have been reading and searching diligently but there is so much to wade through. I actually thought about HTD in wall/in ceiling speakers but it seems that you would sacrifice serious SQ for looks. Room is 15' x 16' with 8' high ceiling 9.5' high in tray).

TV will go above fireplace
Sub will probably go behind corner chair
main listening couch and chair
shelf unit where a/v equip will go

Mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow, nice 3D models. Most people just scribble a top-down floor plan in MS-Paint or something. (Not that there's anything wrong with that
)

Just an example, but a universal RF remote like this has an IR blaster base station that can control your components. So if you ran audio/video to your TV upstairs, you could just take the remote upstairs with you.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...00Mediusp1.php

There are IR repeater devices, but it would require more hardware since you'd need the base station plus an IR receiver upstairs and an IR receiver in view of your seating area downstairs. Plus with one of those RF universal remotes it's probably easier to program all your components into it.

Also, is there enough room over that fireplace for a center channel speaker and your TV? Seems like the TV would be way up there near the ceiling. What about that nice big empty wall adjacent to the corner chair where your sub will go?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you liked the models, it took me less time than you would think (using Punch Home AS18) because I didn't have to worry about the rest of the house ... I have tried to model the entire house a few times and royally screwed it up!

That remote is a little on the huge side but I have seen the smaller URC remotes that have the same RF/base station feature that will probably work ... i've never used that kind of thing and wanted to see if I was on the right track.

Hopefully there will enough room ... we have put the TV up on the mantle resting on the stand and there is over 8" to the ceiling. Depending on what center channel there should be enough room when the stand is removed. It's funny that you mention the other wall because that is where a huge ugly entertainment system is and it covers my a/c return air vent and filter so I have to keep it pulled away from the wall about 8-10" ... we really want to get rid of it and this seemed like a good idea. When we decide which speaker setup and receiver to get we are going to temporarily hook them up over there to make a final determination. Once I start punching holes to re-route electrical outlets, cable connections and run speaker wire then there is no turning back (at least that's what my wife thinks).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I bought the Paradigm Cinema 110s, the Onkyo 504 refurb, a Harmony 880, and a bonus for the bedroom - an Astar 32" LCD (for $480).

I've also decided against putting the tv on above the fireplace. The problem now is to decide how to wall mount the tv and front speakers, and still have somewhere to put the receiver, dvd, and stb. I'm thinking of some sort of small solid wood unit or shelf system, but any ideas would be appreciated. Also I want to run the stb signal to both my main tv and the new upstairs one via component or hdmi ... any ideas on a distribution amp that is reasonable priced. Cable length to upstairs would be 25'.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afphinfan /forum/post/0

Well, I bought the Paradigm Cinema 110s, the Onkyo 504 refurb, a Harmony 880, and a bonus for the bedroom - an Astar 32" LCD (for $480).

I've also decided against putting the tv on above the fireplace. The problem now is to decide how to wall mount the tv and front speakers, and still have somewhere to put the receiver, dvd, and stb. I'm thinking of some sort of small solid wood unit or shelf system, but any ideas would be appreciated. Also I want to run the stb signal to both my main tv and the new upstairs one via component or hdmi ... any ideas on a distribution amp that is reasonable priced. Cable length to upstairs would be 25'.

Are there issues with HDMI runs that long? I use DVI and I've read stories of people with runs over 15' or so having "sparklies" in the picture. Might want to look into it. Component is pretty well-suited to long runs, many people use it for their ceiling-mount front projectors.

As for stands, there are plenty of places online to shop for them. Will you put your center channel on top of the stand, or wall-mount under the TV?

http://www.racksandstands.com
http://www.standsandmounts.com
http://www.dynamichomedecor.com

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
Are there issues with HDMI runs that long? I use DVI and I've read stories of people with runs over 15' or so having "sparklies" in the picture. Might want to look into it.

I used a 40 ft. hdmi cable to my PJ without any issues whatsoever ( I did however pay around 120 bucks for the cable )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will keep length in mind with the cabling and decision to hdmi or component.

I think we are going to mount the center channel beneath the tv, but of course if we decide that a low stand would look better with the tv on top of it then obviously the center will go up top. These speakers are made with wall mounting in mind and do not require extra brackets, etc. ... just have to see when the suckers get here, funny everything that I ordered over the net has arrived, waiting on the local purchase!! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.