AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at setting my computer to be a component of my home theater. I need some advise as to which sound cards would be best.

I have a Denon AVR-3200 with 5.1 decoding, Optical digital, and coax digital inputs. I would like to buy a sound card that lets me play dvds and route the sound and video through the reciever. I purchased a ATI video card that gives me an s-video out.

I would prefer to use the optical digital out, but am having trouble finding a sound card that can transfer the sound to the receiver.

Any suggestions would be appreacitated.

Setup: Pentium 4 Celeron 1.8ghz, 512mb ram, dvd rom, cd r/w.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTT for the day crew.

·
Registered
491 Posts
q3131a - not many people are advocates for the CL Audigy cards, but I have one, and I completely love the fact I have the option for both digital optical/coax out, or analog 5.1 out...it's very flexible IMHO...some people don't like it, but it's been a champ for me...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'll look into them.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I also hook my sound card to my receiver. I use the creative labs audigy 2 platinum THX certified card. It has both optical in and out. Works great!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Seeing as both the Audigy and Audigy 2 resample all audio, with considerable artifacts, to 16/48, they would not be ideal.

Something along the lines of the Terratec DMX 6Fire-LT would probably serve you best.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I'm actually looking for digital inputs (for DAT) and RCA inputs as well. Not looking for hi tech outputs. This will be used for copying laserdiscs and SVHS. Anyone have any thoughts on one with clean inputs?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.