AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 5m * 3.6 m * 2.75m, concrete construction.

I have been informed by a friend working in related field that he suggests the following design for my room for soundproofing roughly as follows:

1st step:

- 2" rockwool (density = 120, I don't know what this is) every where on the walls.

- construction of a new wooden raised floor (above concrete) with still 2" rockwool in between.

- Construction of False ceiling with again 2" rockwool above.

2nd step:

- Add perforated plasterbord (maybe 5/8") all around the walls,

- carpeetting the new wooden floor

- Plasterboards can be painted to taste

My questions are:

1) How good will this be soundproofing my HT room?

2) How good (or bad) the effect will be on room acoustics (at least compared to a concrete room)? By the way (I think) he couldn't very well answer this question, but he told me that perforated gypsum boards will be to enhance acoustics (less reflections).

3) Would I still need bass traps with this kind of construction? Is rockwool still useable for bass traps (I am asking about rockwool as I can have great discounts from my friend)

Your help is very highly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
What qualifications does your "friend" have that is really poor advice. I stongly suggest you spend some time reading on this board and learn the right way to do things.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall /forum/post/0

What qualifications does your "friend" have that is really poor advice. I stongly suggest you spend some time reading on this board and learn the right way to do things.

Thanks for your post... Indeed I would appreciate that you inform about the flaw that you see and suggest alternatives

This is why I am taking opinions of you strong guys!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed, if you have links about how to get the best out of Rockwool and plasterbord (which are readily available) concerning soundproofing and room acoustics, I would be thankful!

·
Registered
217 Posts
i used rockwool sound board and 5/8 thinking it would be awesome... its not bad but basicly does not much.... rockwool does better for high frequencies and not so great for low. r 15 is better.

Now if i were to do it again or should i say when, i would use risc clips to help decouple the drywall. Then use 2 layers of 5/8 inch sheet rock and a layer of green glue. Now that mine is already done i havent researched what other ways there are since i found this board after i started.

Deffinatly at the least do r 15 and 2 layers of 5/8 rock and green glue in between. dont even bother with rockwool. do some research on this board there is a wealth of info but dont proceed until you research because it will be a wast of time and money if your looking for quality results

Good luck

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser /forum/post/0

I have been informed by a friend working in related field that he suggests the following design for my room for soundproofing roughly as follows: ...

Find a new friend.

Seriously, this is not good "soundproofing" (sound isolation) advice. Search the threads in this forum. Key elements of sound isolation are a lot of mass, decoupling, sealing, and eliminating alternate routes for sound (flanking paths). Brian Ravnaas of The Green Glue Company has offered a ton of great discussion and advice.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I was not clear enough in my explanation above.

As far as isolation is concerned, this will be a cubicle inside the room, decoupled from the wall.....with 2" high density Rockwool in between. Plasterboards will be covering the rockwool, room will be completely sealed, door will be changed, glass will be double with vacuum inside....

Instead of asking me to read, pls give suggestions(ex. spacing between the walls), other materials, what's wrong with plasterboard....thickness...

I need to know the expected impact of such a design on acoustics, not only isolation...

Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserAs far as isolation is concerned, this will be a cubicle inside the room, decoupled from the wall.....with [B /forum/post/0

2" high density Rockwool [/b] in between. Plasterboards will be covering the rockwool, room will be completely sealed, door will be changed, glass will be double with vacuum inside....

The answer doesn't change. Rockwool is the wrong material to use.

Quote:
Instead of asking me to read, pls give suggestions(ex. spacing between the walls), other materials, what's wrong with plasterboard....thickness...

I guess you missed the Do It Yourself nature of AVSForum. The way this place works is that you learn by reading the collected knowledge of the users of AVSForum. There are MANY good threads here on how to treat a room for soundproofing, and many more on acoustic treatments. I'd suggest you start with using the forum 'Search' feature. You should click 'Search->Advanced Search' and make sure you limit your search to the Dedicated Theater Construction & Design forum.

Alternatively, there's an acoustic treatment thread at the top of the forum that's worth reading. It takes a while, but by the time you're done you'll have a much better understanding of what you should be doing.

-drin

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,575 Posts
There is discussion of wall construction soundproofing techniques using 2 inches of rockwool and various drywall thickness and isolation techniques in this vendors Brochure:

http://www.gyprock.com.au/Gyprock/Co...ome_Cinema.pdf

No discussion of internal acoustics though just a mention on the web site of perforated panels and the fact that they have a 6.2% openness factor.

I would believe that the internal reflection issue would be improved somewhat by the use of the perforated panels but I'm not sure it would approach the levels of interest to you. I'm going to look some more.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
blaser,

Perforated plasterboard with porous absorber behind it has good ability for sound absorption, but this is mainly at lower frequencies - 1000 Hz and below. You probably won't need additional bass absorption.

But your room with still be relatively "live" at high frequencies. You may need some rockwool or other porous absorber on top of the perforated plasterboard to balance this out.

Regards,

Terry

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,575 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Blazer,

I have another question, is this room a dedicated theater or is it to be a Listening room?

there are differences in how each is designed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First I would like to thank everyone who has given his opinion to this issue..... Pls keep the same rythm....very helpful indeed.

Appearantly, not everybody always agrees on the same thing....which is not necessary a bad thing!

McCall,

This is more a dedicated theater, but I do listen to music also.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The reason I asked that question about the purpose of the room is where you mentioned it being a cubicle inside a room. THAT also raises a lot of soundproofing and acoustic issues from what I have learned on here. Hopefully the experts here which you have already heard from in this thread can address what such problems may be, you don't want to create More problems than you solve.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drin /forum/post/0

The answer doesn't change. Rockwool is the wrong material to use.

I guess you missed the Do It Yourself nature of AVSForum. The way this place works is that you learn by reading the collected knowledge of the users of AVSForum. There are MANY good threads here on how to treat a room for soundproofing, and many more on acoustic treatments. I'd suggest you start with using the forum 'Search' feature. You should click 'Search->Advanced Search' and make sure you limit your search to the Dedicated Theater Construction & Design forum.

Alternatively, there's an acoustic treatment thread at the top of the forum that's worth reading. It takes a while, but by the time you're done you'll have a much better understanding of what you should be doing.

-drin

Sorry, what you said added nothing to me...I had warned that I do not want to see such posts. You are not helping.... either you give your opinion / technical advice or simply ignore this thread.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser /forum/post/0

Sorry, what you said added nothing to me...I had warned that I do not want to see such posts. You are not helping.... either you give your opinion / technical advice or simply ignore this thread.

You had warned? Gosh, that's scary.

I offered you two constructive points for your acoustics/sound isolation research. I explained how to search, and pointed you to a decent thread on acoustics. You can choose to ignore the help if you want. That's your choice.

My point was that asking people to spoon-feed you the answers doesn't work as well as LEARNING the answers by researching yourself. Get help when needed, sure, but simply saying 'give me all the answers' is laziness as far as I'm concerned.

When you purchase AVSForum you're welcome to direct me to ignore a thread. Until that time I'll post when I feel my comments are justified - YOU are welcome to ignore them.

-drin

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall /forum/post/0

The reason I asked that question about the purpose of the room is where you mentioned it being a cubicle inside a room. THAT also raises a lot of soundproofing and acoustic issues from what I have learned on here. Hopefully the experts here which you have already heard from in this thread can address what such problems may be, you don't want to create More problems than you solve.

From what I know, soundproofing is higher when there is no direct contact between the walls and the cubicle....But it seems there is something I am missing...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick /forum/post/0

blaser,

Perforated plasterboard with porous absorber behind it has good ability for sound absorption, but this is mainly at lower frequencies - 1000 Hz and below. You probably won't need additional bass absorption.

But your room with still be relatively "live" at high frequencies. You may need some rockwool or other porous absorber on top of the perforated plasterboard to balance this out.

Regards,

Terry

Do you mean that this would be an improvement in both soundproofing and bass?

Concerning high frequency, is carpetting part of the walls solving this issue?

B Rgds

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drin /forum/post/0

You had warned? Gosh, that's scary.

-drin

Drin - I think there may be a language barrier here. I wouldn't get too caught up with his choice of phrasing.

Blaser - I do agree with Drin and others though, theater construction is a huge topic and some of your questions have been covered many times before. The suggestion to take the time and read some of the pinned threads really is a good one. Part of difficulty in designing a theater is that when you are new, you really don't know what questions to ask.

There are many people here who give a lot of their time trying to be helpful. It is time consuming though to have to teach the basics all the time. So instead we try to point people in the right direction and hopefully they are willing to help themselves. And if not there are plenty of other routes to take. For example you can always hire someone like Terry, Dennis or Bpape (Bryan) to do the technical stuff for you if you want a more turn-key approach.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.