AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice on speakers. I use it almost exclusively for HT. I currently have a Marantz SR 7002 running some nonsense old Yamaha towers that I need to replace, a Paradigm CC-470 center and Axiom QS 8's in back. My sub just dumped and I'm leaning on the HSU VTF-2 MK4 on sale right now. The room is 30x27 and open at the rear to the elevated kitchen. I was looking to keep it under $1100 with the sub and have no clue what fronts to get. Ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Is the 30 x 27 dimension including the kitchen area adjacent to it?

Also, to be clear, you're only replacing the Yamaha front towers and sub? Not the Paradigm CC-470 nor the Axiom QS 8?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 30x27 is just the living room. It's a quad level so there's a large opening to the kitchen in the rear of the room to the kitchen, and yes I plan on keeping the Axiom and Paradigms.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
In an open floor plan like yours, when it comes to picking speakers and subs, you've got to keep in mind the total room area that's open, not just the area you've defined as your home theater. The sound waves have no way of knowing that only the first 30 x 27 is your set aside space for it. It just travels as far as it can until it hits walls and ceilings.

30 x 27 is already a big enough space, coupled with an unknown volume of kitchen space, you've got a challenge to fill the space to SPLs you're happy with.

I'd pick the most efficient speaker I could find, of course, because you're going to need all the volume help you can get for your space.

Now, the next question would be something you may or may not have thought about - what kind of sound from an audio system do you prefer? Edgy? Laid-back? Smooth? Linear? This will play a huge part in picking the speakers to buy.

BTW, the sensitivity (efficiency) of your Paradigm center is 90db in-room, which is kind of middle to low of speaker efficiencies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as type of sound, tough call. I like clean, smooth and able to really kick it out. With the difficult room dynamics I'm not expecting great clear sound but I would like a good push. Would I be better off replacing the Paradigm as well? It does seem to lose a little on dialogue sometimes. Just thought I was getting old:)

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
As far as type of sound, tough call. I like clean, smooth and able to really kick it out. With the difficult room dynamics I'm not expecting great clear sound but I would like a good push. Would I be better off replacing the Paradigm as well? It does seem to lose a little on dialogue sometimes. Just thought I was getting old:)
Room size really only affects the bass. Listening distance is what to go by for volume from the speakers. If you are at a typical distance of 10-12ft or closer/farther depending on your screen size then you don't need crazy big super efficient speakers.

I'd look for some of the closeout deals on Klipsch Reference II speakers for your front three. They are awesome for the price for movies and great on music too. Caveat, they are forward so for some music they can get bright, some like that, others not so much. But the forward/bright nature is what makes them shine for movies and TV.

As for the sub, place it somewhat close to your listening position if possible. You'll get good bass from 25-30hz and up. Your room size precludes any bass below this unless you spend a LOT of money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts