AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general qestion. What are you guys running as HT speakers. I'm looking for a medium LCR and surround set of HT speakers. something along the lines with a 6"- 8" driver.

Who recommends what? Let me know what you think is sounding good.

10 x 15 dedicated room

Thinking of 5 identical speakers. What do you think? Yes..no

Bipolar surrounds? or not

Jazzy

·
Registered
348 Posts
i am a big polk audio fan i have the 800i mains with have dual 6 1/2 drivers and a 1 in tweet the 400i with is the matching center and the 5ooi fx with are di bi polar speakers here is a link to my home page http://www.geocities.com/theirishgon...?1012628760656 i spent around $1600 on the polks and 350 on my velo

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Bipolar surrounds? or not
DUCK! :)

I have/had/will have AT System 370s and like them a lot.

You said dedicated room. How dedicated? I mean are you going to build it out with acoustical treatments, DE construction techniques, etc.?

$20,000 speakers can sound horrible in the wrong environment and $1,000 speakers can sound great in the right one. I strongly suggest spending some money on the room and going with medium quality speakers. I think you'll be pleased, plus, you can always upgrade your speakers. Its much harder to upgrade the room.

Just my $.02 (I guess I may need to duck now too)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know it's a general question. I am planning to have wall treatment in the room. but HT won't be decked out like some of the folks here $$$$

20K is not in the ballpark for speakers. More like 2K for the 5 speakers. Sub not included.

Just to give you an idea of what I hear as sounding good for HT,

I heard the original Velodynes (aluminum drivers 2 - 6 1/2 's and tweet)

as LCR's and thought the sound was great.

So, given that you now know what my hearing consits of, just wanted to get your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record, but where you heard those speakers had a lot to do with how they sounded. Where was that?

$500 spent in the room could add several thousand $$ in perceived value to your sound.

Most of what you hear in a room with speakers is the room not the speakers.

Okay, now I've really got to duck.

[flamesuit donned]

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
One thing I might add is that your room is quite small, so you'd probably be best off with very small speakers. Paradigm makes some excellent speakers for the money, including a small pair of dipole surrounds. One of the most common mistakes I see in people's setups is that they choose speakers that are too large for the room. With 5 speakers (or 7) plus a sub, it doesn't take much to produce very high volume. I once auditioned Paradigm's Cinema speakers, which are palm-sized, in a 5.1 configuration and they played extremely loudly in a room larger than yours, with no apparent distortion or strain.

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
So with a small room with proper acoustical treatments (Room w/in a room, theater shield, batting ... ), would it be safe to assume that it's preferable to use the satellite/sub combination for all speakers, as opposed to large LCR speakers?

And is there any benefit to using dipoles/bipoles PARTICULARLY in a small room where there is limited space between the back wall and the last row of seats? I dont want this to turn into a bipole/dipole vs direct thread, just want to know if this certain circumstance gives an advantage to bipoles/dipoles because of the limited volume of the room...

I've got very similar dimensions (11X16).

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am sure others will have differing opinions, but I don't like satellite and subwoofer combinations because the bass and midrange just don't sound right to me. Small satellite speakers are physically incapable of reproducing low frequenciesl. They tend to sound "tinny" to be because they mainly produce high frequencies. So to get natural sound I feel "size matters".

I understand many people dislike the look of bookshelf or larger speakers, so they opt for satellite speakers. My preference is larger speakers so I can hear full range sound from all speakers.

Speaker preference depends largely on your tastes. You can get speakers which emphasize bass which some people like for rock music. Or you can get speakers that a good for stereo music because they localize the sound well. Or you can get speakers designed for a home theater which may not localize the sound as well as speakers made for stereo music.

I have used JBL (I think they were 810 HS or something like that) and Definitive Technology speakers and liked them. For the money, the JBL speakers sound pretty good. The Definitive Technology speakers are good for music or movies, although they seem to emphasize the bass frequencies more than I expected.

No matter what people say nor magazine reviews say you need to hear the speakers for yourself, playing music you know.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm using modified Apogee Auriga ribbons in my theater...........not available anymore........... I replaced the vifa 6.5" drivers with some dynaudio 17w75xl drivers and did some crossover work. Mine is a sub sat combination except in a grander scale because of such large speakers. The subs are Focal 12v726 drivers.

for some pictures of the room go to http://www.aquacatt.net/theatre

·
Registered
262 Posts
Use identical speakers if you can, if this is an option go for it! I have heard a 5.1 setup with all B&W 602's and was blown away, this is what I am going with.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Use Indentical for all the speakers but especially the front three. My den is 10 by 14 and MY M&K 85's with 125 sub is great. It is great with Jazz and female vocals also. Their newer smaller speakers like the K series might work for you . If home theater is what you want,when it rains on the screen you will actually look outside to see if it is!!!!!

This is in a untreated room. Get a good processor but dont over buy for that size room.

Enjoy the realism.

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally I like the speakers made by Audio Alternative. All of the speakers are voice matched and the imaging is better than everything else I have heard. Plus all the acronyms apply; clean, accurate, .........

Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.