AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general qestion. What are you guys running as HT speakers. I'm looking for a medium LCR and surround set of HT speakers. something along the lines with a 6"- 8" driver.

Who recommends what? Let me know what you think is sounding good.

10 x 15 dedicated room

Thinking of 5 identical speakers. What do you think? Yes..no

Bipolar surrounds? or not

Jazzy

·
Registered
276 Posts
Jazzy,

What is your budget? Any other particular limits to the situation? (have to be small vs. floorstanding; can't be a certain color; can't be ugly; have to be against the wall, not out into the room; etc.)

We sort of need some of these basics to be of any help. Otherwise you can get suggestions for $400 to $40K+.

The 6"-8" driver--can you share your thoughts here too? What it is you're looking for with this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 4 B&W Nautilus 805s for my HT system. I like them a lot. I think they are only mediocre for music but for HT I'm very satisfied. My center channel is a Nautilus HTM2 and I have an M&K subwoofer. The 805s are very stylish and also very small (they are "bookshelf speakers" but you can buy very stylish stands to go with them).

The 805s were about 900-1100 each when I bought them.

In the future I plan on adding some 803s to be my new front speakers and move all of my current 805s to the sides and back to have a full 7.1 system.

Good luck,

Justin

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking in the 2K range for the 5 HT speakers. Will be used for HT only. No music listening. Sub not included.

Not interested in floor standing tower speakers.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We can all suggest speakers to you, but it's your own ears that will have to make the decision.

I was at the CES show last year and brought up the question of price verses sound. The answer I got back was that a speaker that costs $10K is not any better than a $400 speaker, if the $400 speaker sounds better (more realistic) to you.

The main thing to remember is to match your speakers. That means to buy from the same manufacturer so the tone of the selected speakers is the same. The point here is to make the sound tone the same as the sound moves around the room

Good Luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jazzy
Looking in the 2K range for the 5 HT speakers. Will be used for HT only. No music listening. Sub not included.

Not interested in floor standing tower speakers.

Suggestions?
I went with (7) NHT SuperOne's for my setup and am very satisfied. Whole speaker setup (without powered sub) was a little over $1k with Omnimount wall mounts.

WIth the $900 left over you can find a nice clean sub, probably the NHT SubTwoi (if you are lucky enough to find one).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. Every person has different opinion of what sounds 'good' Seems all are in agreement that wall treatment will definetly help sound, as well as getting the same speakers all around.

I've heard about the B & W speakers $$$. For a smaller HT like the one I'm planning (9 x12) How do the 602's fit the bill as LCR and maybe even as the 2 surrounds or could downsize the rears to the 601.

Anybody heard them in a HT?

What do you all think?

Jazzy

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Let me go along a different tangent. Jazzy you mention your room is 10 * 15 which may be considered on the small side. With that said, I would look at very small satellites and of course a sub. If the room will be used for other purposes then the small speakers will make a world of difference as they won't take up much footprint. In my smaller of my two HT's which measures about 12 * 10 (really 22 as it is open to the dining room) I use the old Energy Take 5's and they have plenty of loudness and sound quite decent.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Eric. Hey, just noticed you have the same last name as me. Since we both have HT interest, we could be distant relatives. Another side bit, I was just up in Toronto area Mother's Day weekend. Stayed in Missassuaga. Toronto is a nice city.

More info on the HT room. If I do build it, it will be a HT only. I already have a family room and the wife wants to keep it that way.

Yeah, the room is on the small side, so I know I can get by with bookshelf style speakers. I'd like to stay away from the Sub sat systems. and just have a dedicated sub.

"Jazzy" Chong

San Francisco

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check out the PSB line, do a search here and your find lots of info.

There have three lines of speakers, I'd have the Image series and really like them. Oh and all their speaker lines have both floor standing and bookshelf speakers in them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i think paradigm has a great line of speakers with good prices

·
Registered
115 Posts
Jazzy,

I'd also recommend looking at Definitive Technology speakers for your application. They've got some very good selections in your price point.

I'd consider a set of BP2006TL's for the mains and a CLR2300 center. If you did want to stick with the same all around, maybe go with BP8s or 6s (if they still sell them) or some of the new small PowerMonitor sets.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would say the Paradigm Studio 40's as fronts and rears with a Studio CC center which is a horizontal Studio 40. Those little puppies are fantastic speakers! I like them with either Bryston or Rotel amps.

Mike

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
223 Posts
Jazzy,

Having sold a few of the brands mentioned in the preceeding replies, my personal favorite is the B&W's. I've sold them before and they are very good sounding speakers for the $$$. They have a new 600 Series III line which should definitely be auditioned. You should be able to do DM602S3 for fronts, the LCR600S3 for center, DM601S3 for rears and have $600 left over for a sub (assuming a $2K budget).

Rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Another option would be a setup by VMPS . Another outstanding bang-for-the-buck type deal (like the Diva's, Axiom, etc.).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Jazzy-

If you like the B&W sound then consider their LCR600's or the smaller LCR60's. The LCR stands for Left - Right - Center. They were designed to be used as centers or as mains.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would also reccomend the Definitive Technology speakers. I have the entry level toweres BP6's and BPX surrounds with the CLR1000 center. Oh yeah the PF15 Powered sub. I always remember the room size when buying speakers. The speakers I own are just the right size for my 12*23 room. My room gets enveloped with high quality non distorted sound. I really don't think I will ever upgrade my speakers;) .

My two cents..

Frimie

:D

·
Registered
319 Posts

Originally posted by Jazzy

Thanks Eric. Hey, just noticed you have the same last name as me. Since we both have HT interest, we could be distant relatives. Another side bit, I was just up in Toronto area Mother's Day weekend. Stayed in Missassuaga. Toronto is a nice city.

> Yeah someone visited my hometown! I'm glad to hear you had a great time. Mississauga is a great city to live in.

My advice to anyone when looking at a home theater is always to first examine the possibilities of doing some sort of acoustic treatment.

Failing that then buy the best speakers and receiver/separates your budget affords.

Anthony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.