AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been looking at speakers for a 5.1 system over the last few days and my mind is spinning, so I need your help determining what are the best speakers that I can get for under $1,500. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver that will be driving the speakers. Room is slightly open (meaning 2 four-foot wide passages to other rooms) and the overall dimensions are 20' x 17'. Maybe 8-9 foot ceiling. Main seating area is only 6 feet from a 55" plasma TV.

My plan was to purchase:

2 (front)- Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Bookshelf Speaker

2 (rear)- Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Bookshelf Speaker

1 (center)- Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000

1 (sub)- Definitive Technology ProSub 800 120v Speaker

Can I do better? Does this look good to you? Any recommendations about this package? Feel free to recommend something complete different, especially if it saves me money.
Thanks!

Dré

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Did you look at Ascend speakers? Don't own any myself, but I think you can get a 5.1 system for them cheap enough that you can add a decent subwoofer into the mix and keep within $1500.

As I say I don't own them, but have considered buying them for quite some time, as I am not wholy pleased with my B&W 600 speakers.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with a Def Tec technician and he seemed to think this setup would be more than sufficient for my room size. I thought it seemed good too, because I heard the Def Tec 600 setup at BB and it was good. These speakers are larger, so they should be able to fill the room with quality sound. Maybe not though???

·
Registered
1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreNeedsHelp /forum/post/20825294

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at speakers for a 5.1 system over the last few days and my mind is spinning, so I need your help determining what are the best speakers that I can get for under $1,500. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver that will be driving the speakers. Room is slightly open (meaning 2 four-foot wide passages to other rooms) and the overall dimensions are 20' x 17'. Maybe 8-9 foot ceiling. Main seating area is only 6 feet from a 55" plasma TV.

My plan was to purchase:

2 (front)- Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Bookshelf Speaker

2 (rear)- Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Bookshelf Speaker

1 (center)- Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000

1 (sub)- Definitive Technology ProSub 800 120v Speaker

Can I do better? Does this look good to you? Any recommendations about this package? Feel free to recommend something complete different, especially if it saves me money.
Thanks!

Dré

I can't comment about the speakers, but for the sub, I think you might consider an Internet Direct from somebody like HSU.

A lot of people here on the AVSforum seem to think ID subs offer great value.

Do please remember that a sub does not need to be matched to other speakers.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Hsu package will stomp on the deftech package for performance, but the Hsu speakers are larger and the sub is much larger. If you have the space for the Hsu speakers, go for that, if not, the Deftech speakers are not entirely awful, although there are better for the price, such as the NHTs. Avoid the Deftech sub at all costs, their are way better deals out there. Also, your budget priorities are pretty disproportionate, you spent a lot on a AVR with a high powered amp section, but you don't want to match that with worthwhile speakers. As a rule of thumb, you will want to spend twice on speakers/subs than what you do on an AVR.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
I have the prmonitor 1000 fl/fr, procenter 2000, promonitor 800 sr/sl setup in a 15 x 10 x 10 room......I don't listen anywhere near reference levels, but I think it sounds fantastic and I iamgine it should have enough to fill a 20 x 17 room, but that depends on your listening tastes, etc.

If you do go with deftech system, ditch the prosub 800 and buy an ID one, or scour audiogone.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/20828413

The Hsu package will stomp on the deftech package for performance, but the Hsu speakers are larger and the sub is much larger. If you have the space for the Hsu speakers, go for that, if not, the Deftech speakers are not entirely awful, although there are better for the price, such as the NHTs. Avoid the Deftech sub at all costs, their are way better deals out there. Also, your budget priorities are pretty disproportionate, you spent a lot on a AVR with a high powered amp section, but you don't want to match that with worthwhile speakers. As a rule of thumb, you will want to spend twice on speakers/subs than what you do on an AVR.

I agree with the bolded.

As for HSU stomping deftech's -- I never listened to HSU's, but the horn speakers I auditioned sounded different to me. Not neccessarily bad, but different. If you don't like horn's, I'd also consider the SVS SBS system (5.0 for $770, leaving you 730 for a sub) in addition to the deftech's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have some flex in my budget, but I felt that it would be unnecessary to go higher than $1,500 to get a set of nice speakers. Based on your recommendations, I found the Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer for a good price, and I think it will be a better option than the Def Tech sub. Can anyone say what is wrong with the Def Techs? Anyone have a specific recommendation for a better package around the $1,500 range? I have never auditioned the HSU speakers and do no know where I could listen to them. Thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreNeedsHelp /forum/post/20829566

I do have some flex in my budget, but I felt that it would be unnecessary to go higher than $1,500 to get a set of nice speakers. Based on your recommendations, I found the Klipsch Reference RW-12d 12" Powered Subwoofer for a good price, and I think it will be a better option than the Def Tech sub. Can anyone say what is wrong with the Def Techs? Anyone have a specific recommendation for a better package around the $1,500 range? I have never auditioned the HSU speakers and do no know where I could listen to them. Thanks for all the input so far.

i've never heard the Hsu system. they're an internet-direct sub company, and they've added a 5.0 speaker system to their line-up. you won't find them in stores, so your best bet is posting in the appropriate thread and finding out if there's a fellow member who has the set in question and lives close by. the Hsu 5.0 system has generally received pretty good reviews. they ARE a horn-loaded speaker, although i remember reading a review that said something to the effect of them displaying less of the characteristics of horn speakers which some folks find objectionable.

the Klipsch Sub is prolly better than the deftech, but i would think ID is the way to go on your sub.

if it were ME having your budget (and surprisingly, i'm researching now for a 5.0 system for about a grand)...

i've owned the previous generation of PSB Images, and liked them - very much. the new ones would run about 900 plus shipping for a 5.0 system (4 x B5 and C5 center - check www.saturdayaudio.com ). that'd leave you ~500 for a sub.

before the PSBs, i owned Energys and they're another well-regarded brand in that range. the discontinued RC line is on sale. 300/pr for RC-10 bookshelf and the RC-LCR center is ~375 (a true 3 way). i've heard them locally and liked them a lot.

finally, musicdirect.com is blowing out wharfedale's Evo2 line. never hear 'em, but the folks who have them here on AVS have written good things.

just a few of the ones i'm mulling over myself. good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.