AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for step lighting (types and manufacturers)? I have a 2-level room that I am building with 2 steps connecting the levels and would like to have an inobtrusive light source built into the stelp to keep people from tripping in the dark.

Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
ken-ha,

I used louvered lights like you're considering on a step on my deck, and they have worked out quite well. I seem to remember paying less per unit at Home Depot, so you might want to give a look there before ordering. I don't remember the exact price I paid, but I seem to remember it being in the $15-$20 range...

Dwight

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I was looking for these very lights yesterday at home depot. The employee I talked to said they are not going to be carrying the 110 volt models anymore. Perhaps its a store or regional thing. They still did have the outdoor low voltage ones, but that isn't what I wanted to go with.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I used rope lights mounted in plastic track with an X10 dimmer added. It works and looks great (very "movie like") and is fairly inexpensive. The rope can be mounted several ways:

1. Along the top of the step.

2. Along the top of the step, under a lip.

3.Along the bottom of the step.

5.A groove can be routed into the step, allowing for a flush mounting.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Jawhn,

How hot do the rope lights get? We're thinking about adding them to our steps because the ones built into the steps don't work well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is alot of great stuff out there. Bega has some of the nicest stuff going, but it's not cheap. You can probably find something in expensive in the garden section of lows or homedepot, but it will look like you got it at Lowe's ore Home Depot. If you are looking for slick led stuff these guys have some cool looking stuff. Also permilight has some steps, some theater lighting product (if you think rope light is a little hobbyshop) and an cool handrail product you might want to look at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.