AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh boy, if you're going to compare a nice bookshelf 2.0 system to some TV speakers, you're in for a treat. I wish I was you. (BTW, even the Ascends will wreck the TV in terms of bass output.)

If clarity is important, you might want to move the Ascends up on your list. They are insane clear. If you look up some reviews on these forums, I believe at least two people have tried doing ABX testing with CBM-170s vs. other well-regarded speakers and they were able to distinguish between MP3 bitrates much better on the Ascends vs. the competition. That's not an easy thing to do on any speaker, but you can do it with the Ascends.

Also check out Aphex Twin, the album Drukqs, track 2, song title Vordhosbn. The CBM-170 SE is the only speaker I've ever heard that I feel like could keep up with this song. Every other sound system (including my Infinity towers) sounds to me like it struggles in comparison...

first of all just knowing/liking Aphex twin you moved up on my list of cool ppl...i also think that he is die antwoord’s dj hi tek/god

yah i absolutely can’t wait to get the system but i’m trying to take is slow an learn a bit first.

the Ascends, q350 and polk as are definitely in my top interest.

-wouldn’t the polk ss be a level under the ascend and kef’s??
but just be a really great speaker for their own price range?

i don’t mind going over budget a little to get a better end result. i know that can be a slippery slope tho, i’m sure every $50-$75 there is a “BETTER” speaker out there tho...

·
Registered
518 Posts
thank you for the link and advice!
definitely some good deals, i’m going to have to look into those.

seems like they have a good following tho.

so even going with a sub to fill in the lower end u think the ascend’s are a better all around speaker?

amateur question but is “thin” mean light in the bass in a way?

thank you for the advice!

wow that’s a great price for the x4500!!!

and yes an soon as i get a chance BB actually has a good amount of speakers and a few subs i’m looking at, the others i may do the crutchfield $10 return to test them out.

i’m gonna watch the dr toole video in a few, i’m really likening this forum/hobby

wow i really appoyou taking to time to put all that together

you absolutely 100% sold me on the svs pc-2000, i’m ordering that tonight or tm for sure..it’s perfect
do you maintain the svs warranty with ebay sales? it says it’s an authorized dealer on the one i’m looking at but ebay always makes me nervous.

i guess i got excited about the denon when i saw it, read reviews/ comparisons to other companies and figured i couldn’t go wrong.
it is 15watt lower per channel tho but i have no idea if that’s a big deal or not

i can’t wait to try out the polk too, i’m going to add them to my list for sure for price and review/following

and yes you are definitely right about the kids, my 11 and 3 year old are well trained and respectful, but the twins are just so young they are still in “training”.
they are getting better but at 1.5 i’m just worried cuz with all 3 young ones it can be a lot to keep track of them.
that’s what the gate is for and it will go right around the audio so it will be fine.

thank you, i think i’ll be happy with it too considering the following has.

glad to hear u like the b-tech mounts too.

yeah i think ported also from what i’ve read.

i think the svs pc-2000 with be perfect

that’s great i didn’t really think of that, now i am looking forward to having extra hdmi’s to since right now my tv’s 4 are not enough for all the gaming consoles and other gear but i always assumed that if i wanted my consoles or dvd player to utilize the system it would have to run through it.
honestly tho im gonna stick with the x3400 tho and take another couple weeks to finish building the system

question about the active studio speakers tho and the denon avr:
can you plug in active speakers to the red/white location where it has the front center rear and sub? or is that completely wrong?

Svs is having a sale. Some of the prices seem to still be valid even though the deal is marked expired.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/473869

-To be an audiophile you must abandon all research and science.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Svs is having a sale. Some of the prices seem to still be valid even though the deal is marked expired.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/473869

thank you,
just checked it out an it seems it’s not all available anymore but either way right now they don’t have anything that would work for me for size

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i added back svs prime to the list too...even tho i like the kef better for the same price range,

they have great WAF tho over the ascend and kef tho

·
Registered
683 Posts
first of all just knowing/liking Aphex twin you moved up on my list of cool ppl...i also think that he is die antwoord’s dj hi tek/god

yah i absolutely can’t wait to get the system but i’m trying to take is slow an learn a bit first.

the Ascends, q350 and polk as are definitely in my top interest.

-wouldn’t the polk ss be a level under the ascend and kef’s??
but just be a really great speaker for their own price range?

i don’t mind going over budget a little to get a better end result. i know that can be a slippery slope tho, i’m sure every $50-$75 there is a “BETTER” speaker out there tho...
A friend clued me into Aphex Twin a long time ago, I don't usually listen to that genre but I'll check out Die Antwoord, thanks. :)

The Polk Signature speakers seem to be pretty good. I like this guy's reviews:

http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2017/08/budget-fighter-ii-championship-edition.html

Speaker quality doesn't correlate very well with price. Check out that Floyd Toole presentation. There are a lot of expensive speakers that are worse than much cheaper speakers. It's basically impossible to know what's marketing hype (or hype in the community caused by marketing) and what isn't. That's why I would be more interested in trying out the Infinity Reference R162s before the Polks, I know that Harman/Infinity had the right design goals (supported by their research and testing). Also, the Infinitys look similar to Revels and might share some design and engineering with them.

·
Registered
518 Posts
thank you,
just checked it out an it seems it’s not all available anymore but either way right now they don’t have anything that would work for me for size

I would consider HSU Reasearch subs too. I really like mine.

·
Registered
21,721 Posts
-KEF Q-350 (really pushing it since the center is sooo $$$)
-Ascend CBM-170 se
-polk audio signature series
-svs prime

maybe
-NHT SuperOne 2.1
-RSL CG3

id like to not add anything else unless someone has a strong reason that i should put something back on again
KEF and Polk bookshelves available at Crutchfield with just $10/box returns within 60 days.

·
Registered
531 Posts

http://averagejoeaudiophile.blogspot.com/2017/08/budget-fighter-ii-championship-edition.html
Great review, The Polk Sigs have surprised many, especially the budget S15, S20 bookies. Can go toe to toe with others in the price range. Plus the super cheap refurb price direct from Polk makes them a good value if one is one a tight budget.

Polk Signature Series S15 - and honest +/- 3db speaker for 70hz to 19khz.
Port looks like it is tuned to about 70hz. Not particularly low for a 5.25 inch speaker. However in listening tests, where the speakers were 5+ feet away from a rear wall, indicated it can get plenty low for just about any music. Lower than the Klipsch often could. Perhaps an effect of the Power Port design? Searching seems to indicate that you are able to achieve similar tunings with shorter port lengths. Comparing them to the now discontinued Infinity Primus line of bookshelf speaker, which were all also ported in the 70 to 80 hz range, these manage to play much deeper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A friend clued me into Aphex Twin a long time ago, I don't usually listen to that genre but I'll check out Die Antwoord, thanks. :)

Speaker quality doesn't correlate very well with price. Check out that Floyd Toole presentation. There are a lot of expensive speakers that are worse than much cheaper speakers. It's basically impossible to know what's marketing hype (or hype in the community caused by marketing) and what isn't. That's why I would be more interested in trying out the Infinity Reference R162s before the Polks, I know that Harman/Infinity had the right design goals (supported by their research and testing). Also, the Infinitys look similar to Revels and might share some design and engineering with them.

the dj who makes the tracks for die antwoord has been a mystery since they came out.. every video is a different random person and it’s a secret who he really is. they just call him hi tek or god

strange south African electronic rap/ party music

also great info!
i started to watch the video last night at 2am then saw it was an hour so maybe tonight or tm

also i’m going to look into the infiniti ref’s tonight too

·
Registered
976 Posts
rbfastback, how much budget do you have left and where do you plan to wall mount the speakers?

Also, what are the dimensions of the top 2 shelves?

You might be able to fit a sealed speaker like the NHT SuperOne 2.1 on/in the shelves.

Placing a speaker on a shelf is a compromise, but so is wall mounting to the left and right of your entertainment center, due to the reflections from the sides of the entertainment center.

Another option could even be placing the speakers on the top of the shelf and angling them down towards the couch. Maybe a couple center horizontal center channel speakers would work on top of the shelves (preferably 3-way, like the Emotiva C1), as a center speaker would not be as tall.

Just options to consider...

-

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
rbfastback, how much budget do you have left and where do you plan to wall mount the speakers?

Also, what are the dimensions of the top 2 shelves?

You might be able to fit a sealed speaker like the NHT SuperOne 2.1 on/in the shelves.

Placing a speaker on a shelf is a compromise, but so is wall mounting to the left and right of your entertainment center, due to the reflections from the sides of the entertainment center.

Another option could even be placing the speakers on the top of the shelf and angling them down towards the couch. Maybe a couple center horizontal center channel speakers would work on top of the shelves (preferably 3-way, like the Emotiva C1), as a center speaker would not be as tall.

Just options to consider...

-

as of now roughly 1k with wiggle room, i’m fine leaving the center out for now to get it next month or 2. maybe another $500plus then

not at home but i’m pretty sure the top 2 cubby shelvesare 9.5ish tall

however if i wall mount them i was hoping to find a telescopic or long arm mount for the speaker that will actually sit the front edge of the speaker past the front edge of the left and right entertainment towers. so i would assume that would be best-ish since it would not bounce or reflect off the side kinda like this but a longer arm

i definitely want a nice center horizontal speaker too tho

i just know there something ill be able to do so i don’t want to restrict the speakers i get just for size that matter right now

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've never seen a wall mount that extends as far as you want. Dunno, maybe they exist.

There are some good small speakers that will fit in the cubby; RSL and NHT SuperZero come to mind. Small speakers like those need a high crossover and can sound small...because they are. The Ascend HTM-200 might fit horizontally in the cubby, and it is a sealed design like the NHT models.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, perhaps speakers on top of the shelf towers, angled down.

Good luck, most of us have to make compromises in this hobby.

-

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
If you want a speaker mount that extends out quite a bit, research the articulating mounts used for TVs. They have a VESA mount for perfect connection to a TV, so you may need some sort of conversion bracket (or just drill some other holes) to make a good connection to the speaker, but that should not be too difficult. Some even have extension length options. Something similar to this (just be sure the weight rating is well above the speaker weight (double?), don't want any accidents):

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-BEST-117S-Articulating-Tilting-Monitors/dp/B00IM3AUC0?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IM3AUC0

or this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10464

or this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8097

Just noticed that this one swivels, so you could swivel the bracket that attaches to the TV so that one arm is vertical (cross instead of an X), then just use the hole provided to mount to the mounting hole on the speaker ... doesn't get any easier than that!

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Mtion-Mount-10-30-Monitor/dp/B07C5N6W24/ref=pd_day0_hl_23_4/139-1524869-9504967?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07C5N6W24&pd_rd_r=55a1793d-7f1f-11e9-97ac-510cb5876d74&pd_rd_w=GQBZz&pd_rd_wg=KzJh1&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=16NVZPVX82P5QGFGCK37&psc=1&refRID=16NVZPVX82P5QGFGCK37

DUH! They ALL swivel! At least the ones I linked ... :nerd:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've never seen a wall mount that extends as far as you want. Dunno, maybe they exist.

There are some good small speakers that will fit in the cubby; RSL and NHT SuperZero come to mind. Small speakers like those need a high crossover and can sound small...because they are. The Ascend HTM-200 might fit horizontally in the cubby, and it is a sealed design like the NHT models.

Or, as I mentioned earlier, perhaps speakers on top of the shelf towers, angled down.

Good luck, most of us have to make compromises in this hobby.

-

yeah i’m gonna see what i can figure out for now with mounts, found one that will sit the speaker out 15” and the entertainment center is 19.5 so it’s only 4”
but putting it on the top with a wedge may be what i end up doing for now till i can use stands.

i just don’t want to compromise on the speaker for a temporary thing but i really appreciate all the great advice!

If you want a speaker mount that extends out quite a bit, research the articulating mounts used for TVs. They have a VESA mount for perfect connection to a TV, so you may need some sort of conversion bracket (or just drill some other holes) to make a good connection to the speaker, but that should not be too difficult. Some even have extension length options. Something similar to this (just be sure the weight rating is well above the speaker weight (double?), don't want any accidents):

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-BEST-117S-Articulating-Tilting-Monitors/dp/B00IM3AUC0?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00IM3AUC0

or this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10464

or this:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8097

Just noticed that this one swivels, so you could swivel the bracket that attaches to the TV so that one arm is vertical (cross instead of an X), then just use the hole provided to mount to the mounting hole on the speaker ... doesn't get any easier than that!

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Mtion-Mount-10-30-Monitor/dp/B07C5N6W24/ref=pd_day0_hl_23_4/139-1524869-9504967?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07C5N6W24&pd_rd_r=55a1793d-7f1f-11e9-97ac-510cb5876d74&pd_rd_w=GQBZz&pd_rd_wg=KzJh1&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=16NVZPVX82P5QGFGCK37&psc=1&refRID=16NVZPVX82P5QGFGCK37

DUH! They ALL swivel! At least the ones I linked ... :nerd:

Awesome man!!!
that’s a great idea too, i’m always down for a simple project, that design is actually what i was thinking of for the speaker hoping they made one.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Bear in mind that you only need the face of the speaker to extend past the front of the furniture, not the entire speaker. So, speaker depth needs to be taken into account when choosing the mount depth.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Bear in mind that you only need the face of the speaker to extend past the front of the furniture, not the entire speaker. So, speaker depth needs to be taken into account when choosing the mount depth.

absolutely!
i was just trying to figure that out this morning but i’d have to pick/narrow down the speaker first and have the mount to be exact unless i make one.

when i say i’m 4 inches short that included me mounting the speaker as far farward on the clamps as i think would work without actually having everything needed.

absolutely worse case Ontario i figure out a way to move the kids **** and use stands but i still want it to look goo and not ghetto or cheap

·
Registered
51 Posts
For speakers, IMO, look no further than Ascend Acoustics and NHT. Both have nice speaker packages that you can put together and are both highly regarded in the audiophile world.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you go with RayGuy's TV mount suggestion, you might consider the NHT SuperOne or C3 or Ascend CBM-170 speakers because they already have threaded inserts in the back. You would probably need to drill additional holes in the VESA mount or add a custom plate to match the speaker inserts, but at least you would not have to drill holes in the speakers.

-

Reactions: rbfastback
21 - 40 of 229 Posts