AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been going through the stages of designing a whole wall cabinet for my HT/TV room, and I just wanted your thoughts, advice and criticisms.

Click to view full size!

Front on

Click to view full size!

Front on - Close

Click to view full size!

Top down

Click to view full size!

Top down from back

Now, a little bit about it and the room.

The room itself is pretty small. it is 4000mm (wide) x 5000mm (long). The large doorway on the left side is open and is where the hallway ends. There is a large set of sliding glass doors on the right side of the room.

The design is so there are drawers all along the wall (drawers are 600mm, where the tv/speakers will sit and 455mm deep on the left/right and 530mm deep on the center), with a bookshelf on either side with doors so it is neat and hidden.

The sub (down firing yamaha unit) is hidden on the left side of the cabinet, in a hollow that is a fair bit bigger than the actual sub is for it to breathe, and will have cover to make it blend in and look flush made out of speaker cloth.

The center speaker is sitting on the shelf just below the tv, with a bracket to make it center with the shelf, and will allow for future upgrades.

Equipment that is going to go into the room:

Sony 46" X Series LCD (early 2008 X3100 model)

Yamaha AV Receiver

2x Yamaha NS series Floor standers and 4x bookshelves and sub

Panasonic DMP-BD30 BluRay Player

Xbox360

Wii

2x black leather cinema recliners

1x 2 seater sofa (will be upgrading to a nicer leather sofa when this all gets built)

Surround speaker placements will change, will be lowered to ear height, which is around ~95cm from the ground. Chair placements will also change. Thinking about making the center cabinet a little wider and the outside drawers narrower, and the size of the side cabinets can change too (are currently 650mm)

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice? Criticisms?

Thanks guys

Edit: Any benefits to wall mounting the lcd? It's going to be sitting pretty much at eye level sitting on the stand anyway....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolicious /forum/post/18188516

Looks nice; how are you planning on constructing the cabinets?

Will probably just go to a cabinet maker, iirc the cabinet maker we used when we renovated the house has experience with AV/HT setups... if not, we'll just find another guy who does

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So does anyone have any thoughts on the design? Any criticisms?

I'm still not sure about the speaker placements, both for the front floorstanders being up on the cabinet (will this be fine?) and for the center speaker underneath the tv (is it too low?)

Also wondering if I should wallmount the LCD.... or just leave it on the stand, it will be at eye height with just the stand. Hrm.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It seems fine to me. Having your center channel there shouldnt affect anything negatively. If my math is right your room is over 16ft long? Why not go with a projector? Thats plenty of room to give you a 100"+ screen. How tall are your ceilings?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax /forum/post/18220119

It seems fine to me. Having your center channel there shouldnt affect anything negatively. If my math is right your room is over 16ft long? Why not go with a projector? Thats plenty of room to give you a 100"+ screen. How tall are your ceilings?

The room is 4m wide (13ft) by 5m long (16.5ft) and the ceilings are 2.45m high (8 feet). We aren't going to go with a projector because, to be honest, I don't think the room is big enough, and because we are just building this with our current equipment, don't really want to spend more money on projectors and screens and stuff like that.

Thanks for the comment tho

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Your room is plenty big enough for a projector.

If you think there's any chance you might want to upgrade somewhat you might be limited with your setup. About 5 years ago I built a cabinet to hold DVDs, hide my center & front speakers, and hold my equipment. Here I am years later with a projector setup and have changed things in my room a handful of times already because I planned on a TV setup and now I have a projector which I didn't think I would ever do.

Another thought, you haven't included a subwoofer. You don't want a subwoofer placed in a cabinet (and certainly not a closed cabinet).

I would also have my equipment in a rack style cabinet (vertically rather than horizontal or under the TV) and off to the corner.

For any shelving I would make sure it's adjustable so you have flexibility.

These are just my opinions of course and every one's tastes are different but I've been one who likes to change things or upgrade and without flexibility it will really limit you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/18225566

Your room is plenty big enough for a projector.

If you think there's any chance you might want to upgrade somewhat you might be limited with your setup. About 5 years ago I built a cabinet to hold DVDs, hide my center & front speakers, and hold my equipment. Here I am years later with a projector setup and have changed things in my room a handful of times already because I planned on a TV setup and now I have a projector which I didn't think I would ever do.

Another thought, you haven't included a subwoofer. You don't want a subwoofer placed in a cabinet (and certainly not a closed cabinet).

I would also have my equipment in a rack style cabinet (vertically rather than horizontal or under the TV) and off to the corner.

For any shelving I would make sure it's adjustable so you have flexibility.

These are just my opinions of course and every one's tastes are different but I've been one who likes to change things or upgrade and without flexibility it will really limit you.

Good luck!

Well, in the case that we do decide to go the projector root, there is 215cm (85 inches) of (horizontal) distance between the speakers in which to fit a screen, which roughly gives a 95inch diagonal screen size, which should be massive in this size room.

There isn't enough depth for an AV cabinet to be put on the corner of the shelves, even if the components are sitting facing sideways and inwards pointing towards the LCD, as opposed to outwards facing the seats... and the plan is to use the side shelves for bookshelves (with a door to hide them). This is why the center section of the cabinet is sticking out a little bit, to give more depth for components.

The design does include a subwoofer, and the only way we could find to put it so that it was out of the way, was to put a hollow section in the corner of the cabinet, put the sub in there and then have this covered with cabinet-coloured speaker cloth so that it is concealed and fits in.

Yea, we have tried to design with flexibility, especially in terms of speaker widths and components and things like that, so that they can be upgraded in the future and easily integrated back in

Thanks for you input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts