Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Nec HT1000 do 2:2 pulldown (PAL)?

If so there is no need for PAL progressive scan DVD-player or HTPC (or difference is very subtle), right?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Well, depending on your preferences, htpc can produce a sharper image, and some people have seen slight improvements over interlaced via NTSC progressive scan. The image produces slightly more detail.

I don't believe this has anything to do with 3:2 or 2:2 pull down, but because the processing is done closer to the source.

I actualy prefer the image a standalond DVD player produces over htpc because there's less mosquito noise and blocking artefacts in dark colours etc. That's why I've mothballed my htpc and bought a half decent Toshiba player - the SD520E, which gives a very pleasing solid image via component.

Gary.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Lightfoot

I actualy prefer the image a standalond DVD player produces over htpc because there's less mosquito noise and blocking artefacts in dark colours etc. That's why I've mothballed my htpc and bought a half decent Toshiba player - the SD520E, which gives a very pleasing solid image via component.
Is your Toshiba interlaced DVD-player? If yes HT1000 sounds very promising to me. Does is work ok with interlaced PAL also?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi tk,

Yes, the SD520e is an interlaced player, though it also does NTSC progressive scan.

The Pro Scan does look a bit better over interlaced, with richer colours, but the HT1000 does an excellent job with an ordinary interlaced input, and I think you'll be more than happy with it.

I watch PAL in interlaced because that's the only option, and it is a very good picture in my opinion. The colours with this combination are very good, and skin tones appear very accurate. A lot of this is down to the HT1000s internal processing though.

I have tried the HT1000 with an aging Samsung 709 via s-video, and that was surprisingly good.

I then bought a Philips 963 which did produce a sharp image, but it had problems with the progresive output and other issues, so I returned it for a refund.

I then tried the Toshiba via component, which was equaly the best image alongside the Pioneer player I'd seen it demo'd with. Unfortunately, there was a slight green misalignment with the Tosh, so I returned it to be replaced with another.

They didn't have another in stock, but they loaned me a Limit 9900SE which has both PAL and NTSC progresive scan. It's a good player, but even it's progressive scan isn't as good as the SD520e via interlaced. The Tosh is able to resolve more detail and provides a creamier image.

Progressive scan may give you a slight improvement (depending on the player), but it's not something you definately need with the HT1000. It will give you a great picture regardless of PAL or NTSC with no stuttering and great colours.

HTH

Gary.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to seek information about HT1000's 2:2 pulldown but no avail. Anyone? Does HT1000 do 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown?

What does menu item deinterlace on / off actually do? Can you see difference whether it is in use or not?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Lightfoot
The deinterlace on/off does just that - if you use Avias resolution tests, you can see the flicker when deinterlacing is of. It's not there when on.

Gary.
Did you test PAL also?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just found following information from http://www.dcdi-video.com/technology...-overview.html

I hope that NEC didn't want to save few bucks.

"The FLI2200 has a couple of implementation choices. There is optional external memory that can be used, which does of course raise the cost. All current FLI2200 implementations as of this writing use the optional memory. If the memory is not used, then film mode detection is disabled and all deinterlacing is video mode. You would never want this in a DVD player, but it would be just fine in a display device (a projection TV). A display device must deal with all kinds of sources, a large portion of it being video. A TV manufacture is always trying to get the costs down because as consumers we like to spend as little as possible. It would be perfectly acceptable to have the FLI2200 in a display running in video mode only. You could then use a progressive DVD player for all of your movies. Of course, this would mean other sources like laserdisc (LD) and VHS would not look as good, but LD and VHS are going the way of the Dodo."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.