Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean really WOW.

It was $10/month to upgrade my Comcast cable to HDTV which supports 1080i over YUV connection.

I just watched about a half hour of Castaway in 1080i HD. The 480i version was playing on the next channel, so I was able to switch back and forth. No contest, the 1080i signal was truely awesome.

The quality of the 1080i image on the HT1000 is easily as good or better than the Marantz 12S2 playibg back a DVD source. Which might not be a true contest, but I was wondering if the HT1000 could ever look as good as the S2, and it does with a 1080i signal. Beautiful.

Now that I am positive the HT1000 is capable of this level of quality, the question is how to get a DVD source up to that level? The S2 can do it with it's combination of Sage and Pixel Works.

I only have 4 HD channels, NBC, ABC, WHYY-PBS & HBO. Sure wish Sci-Fi channel was HD. ;-)

I still can't believe this baby looks so good. HD rules!

RJ

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Keep in mind the 1080i content was likely upconverted - not truly 1080i content. Remember the HT1000 is only capable of showing 525 (or so) horitonal lines of resolution, compared to the 720 from a native 720 panel like the one found in the S2. I think with a true 1080i source the difference in resolution between these two pjs will be noticable. That's not to say however it still wouldn't look outstanding on the HT1000!

BTW, is there any reason you choose digital cable over DirecTv? With DirecTv you'd pick up more HD content like the super high quality HD feeds from HDnet, plus you could go OTA for local HD programming. I'll be making this decision soon so I'm curious why you went with cable. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
RJ - have you tried displaying 1080i HD as 540p (960x540)?. That should look better than 1024x576, which is what 16:9 defaults to on an xga panel. The sweetspots for scaling are integer multiples - double, half, etc. The amazing crispness of "half-HD" (540p) is one of the major appeals of such LCD projectors as the AE-x00 and PLV-Z1.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
RJ - have you tried displaying 1080i HD as 540p (960x540)?. That should look better than 1024x576, which is what 16:9 defaults to on an xga panel. The sweetspots for scaling are integer multiples - double, half, etc. The amazing crispness of "half-HD" (540p) is one of the major appeals of such LCD projectors as the AE-x00 and PLV-Z1.
The Comcast HD tuner, a Motorola, only has 1080i, 720P, 480P and 480i as the output settings.

I don't have an external scaler to map the 1080i output to 540P.

An interesting suggestion and I would to try it to see how much better than a great image I can go. ;-)

Thanks for the tip.

RJ

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
BTW, is there any reason you choose digital cable over DirecTv? With DirecTv you'd pick up more HD content like the super high quality HD feeds from HDnet, plus you could go OTA for local HD programming. I'll be making this decision soon so I'm curious why you went with cable. Thanks. [/b]
I get a package discount because I also use their high-speed cable modem service. And I simply couldn't refuse a short term HD solution for an extra $10/month.

Direct TV has certainly some very interesting features and maybe it's something I too will consider in the future.

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

RJ

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
The thing I'm looking forward to the most from DirecTv HD is their HDNet channel. Many here have stated that this is by far the highest quality HD feed compared to anything else on cable/sat. and HDNet seems to have interesting programming - lots of sports, etc.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i have both directv and digital cable; i get broadband from cable, plus HD CBS, FOX, PBS, HBO and NBC, but not HDNet.

with directv, I also get the HD HBO and HDNet, but cannot get the OTA stations like HD CBS, PBS etc. Lovingdvd, I am amazed by the quality of HDNet offerings, the next best is HDPBS,; not far behind is HDCBS and HDHBO, depending on specific programming.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Why can't you get the OTA stations?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.