AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is it to align the center of the projector lens with the center of the screen in a lateral left to right sense? I have an install situation where I want to mount the projector as far back as possible. To do this I will either have to mount the projector over a double gang box with a mounting plate to cover the box, or mount the projector off center to the screen. If I go the off center route, do I rotate the projector towards the screen and use 3D Reform or horizontal keystone to achieve a square image? Will this degrade the picture quality much? The gang box that is in the way is the box that I intended to use to drop all the signal cables from.

Dennis

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dlipter
How important is it to align the center of the projector lens with the center of the screen in a lateral left to right sense?
It is very important unless projector has optical lens shift.
Quote:
If I go the off center route, do I rotate the projector towards the screen and use 3D Reform or horizontal keystone to achieve a square image?
Yes.
Quote:
Will this degrade the picture quality much?
Yes.

·
Registered
897 Posts
tk,

I suspect you don't own an HT1000 as your answers, although you are espousing the usual wisdom it doesn't really tell the whole truth. The 3D reform features on the HT1000 do not seem to degrade the picture visibly. I suggest that dlipter just try it out before making a permanent mount and see if they are satisfied.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
The controls will allow the necessary corrections. However, there are some degradations in image quality (such a a very slight loss in resolution). It depends on how anal you are. Most will not notice the degradations, they will be very slight for a slightly off center mounting. I doubt whether in an A/B test whether anyone could tell.

However, why not just mount the projector a few inches forward and avoid the issue?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The projector will be mounted along the long wall and I need to maximize distance to screen. I have two double gang boxes to contend with. Moving the mount to clear the gang boxes would shorten the throw distance too much. I think I will cut out a 1/4" plywood plate to mount the projector mount on and mount the plate over the gang boxes and cut a new hole for the wires.

Dennis

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Refling
tk,

I suspect you don't own an HT1000 as your answers, although you are espousing the usual wisdom it doesn't really tell the whole truth. The 3D reform features on the HT1000 do not seem to degrade the picture visibly. I suggest that dlipter just try it out before making a permanent mount and see if they are satisfied.
I own HT1000 and I have tested 3D reform and it does make picture worse even it works better than usually.

·
Registered
695 Posts
What are the conditions of the situation where you can see the 3D reform have an impact? I'm curious because on normal video material with a modest amount of "reforming", I just don't see it. I haven't spent hours analyzing the same scene under both conditions but I've spent time watching the projector with and without reform and I'm skeptical that anyone could actually pick it out under normal viewing conditions.

-Dylan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.