AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was really the first time I watched HDTV with my HT1000 since I got my Comcast HD cable box. WOW - what a picture watching Monday Night Football! Projected a 92" x 53" picture of perfect clarity and color. Just goes to show what this pj is capable of - its a source limitation problem now.

Also, since the game started at 6pm my time I had quite a bit of ambient light. I'm amazed at how great the picture looked on my HCCV screen. I know some here have been less than pleased with this material, but with my ceiling mounted HT1000 it's perfect. And the picture looks excellent at just 10' back! This puppy just keeps getting better and better!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Glad you enjoy your HT1000 as much as I do,... its very clear what a great projector this is for a truly great price considering.

:)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Craig - I'm Jealous!

I FINALLY got my whole theater hooked up yesterday to my HD/DirecTV box (HT1000 to Vutek Screen) and was really pumped for MNFB. Alas, a sad story I couldn't seem to get my OTA HD tuner to work so I watched the game with SD - I have to say that SD material blown up that big looks terrible - however I switched over to HBO HD at half and watched part of Harry Potter in HD and it was awesome.

Hopefully by next Monday I can get all the kinks out.

Enjoy your setup.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Okay, but has anyone out there with an HT1000 seen HD on it versus an HD2 PJ? Any objective comments on how the resolution difference plays into things? I think HDTV on just about anything would look better than a standard TV, especially if it is a brand new PJ, but the question is, can it look even better (i.e., at the resolution of the HT1000, are you still missing out on something)?

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
" I think HDTV on just about anything would look better than a standard TV " -

I wasn't comparing it to standard tv. HD TV looks better than the best Superbit DVD on my HT1000 overall. I'm sure it would look even better on an HD2 machine, but for 2 - 3 times the price it is not worth it to me ( and not financially do-able anyway). But if you can spend 2 or 3 times the cost of the HT1000, I'm sure you'll see increased resolution.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I've seen HD on a Sim2 Domino 20 and 300link, and and the image is simply stunning. Both do a good job with DVD, but the difference in quality is so noticable it really highlights the fact that DVD as a source is already looking like VHS did when DVD first came out.

I didn't get to see the HT1000 with HD, but I'm looking forward to getting something better than DVD on it to see what it looks like. If WM9 brings out some more titles like T2 extreme, then that'll be a start, but here in the UK we're a bit behind as far as getting HD - it'll be time to upgrade the pj before that happens I think - proabably 2 or 3 years down the line.

Gary.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I thought the MNF didn't look particularly good compared to sports on HDNET or even Sunday Night Football on ESPN. Of course its impressive if you haven't seen Hi Def before, but the picture was subpar enough that I wondered if they might be switching to 720p from 1080i (though i understand 720p can look stunning as well in the right hands).

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
Okay, but has anyone out there with an HT1000 seen HD on it versus an HD2 PJ? Any objective comments on how the resolution difference plays into things? I think HDTV on just about anything would look better than a standard TV, especially if it is a brand new PJ, but the question is, can it look even better (i.e., at the resolution of the HT1000, are you still missing out on something)?
I have made a comparison of ...

... a HT1000 running HBO-HD fitted with the Panamorph PSO lens, so the projector uses all of the vertical pixels.

... a Marantz 12S2 running the same HBO-HD source.

IMHO, the only difference was absolute resolution. The HT1000 is good, the HT1000/Panamorph is better and the Marantz was best. But at a given distance, they each looked great. But you could get a little closer to the HT1000/Panamorph before you notice screen door, and just a little closer still to the HD2 Marantz.

Adding the Panamorph to the HT1000 was an easy choice to make. Spending the extra cabbage to move up to the Marantz is a lot tougher sell for me.

Maybe if we were talking about scaling a HD 2.35 movie source, and then comparing a HT1000/Panamorph to a HD2 projector/Panamorp combination, the HD2 or HD2+ would be a clear winner for the cost differnce. But IMHO, double or triple the cost of a HT1000/Panamorph is a hard sell for me.

The HT1000 is a unique beast, in that it's projected image esthetic aside from resolution, is just so darn tasty.

Of course I have not covered the issues of rainbows, better contrast and gamma curves, 10 bit green contributions to grayscale, etc...

In my mind there are good reasons to aspire to own a beautiful HD2 or HD2+ projector.

Cue the music... "If I were a rich man, deedle doodle fiddle deedle do..."

;-)

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
MNF did look stunning on the HT1000 and close to HDnet in quality. Close up shots of commentary and players were very 3D-like.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I've since watched a couple of downloaded HD clips from the web, and WOW definately an accurate choice of word. :)

Gary.

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Peer
My neighbors came over and watched Monday Night Football on HDTV last night. Their first front pj experience and their first HDTV experience. It blew them away. They liked it so much, they want to move in with us now!!
I also watched a little of ABC HD football.

We have a couple of new HD channels here on Comcast. INHD and INHD2. INHD has some excellent programming and much of it seems to be top quality. INHD2 will be showing an HD version of Full Metal Jacket Wed Night at 8:00pm EST and it repeats at various time the rest of the week.

I watched a little of Jay Leno in HD as well.

HBO-HD is also excellent. Almost all of the movies surpass their DVD versions I own. Although I look forward to comparing a DVI feed DVD version to an HOB_HD broadcast.

If anyone has made the comparison of an HD broadcast to a DVI-DVD source of the same program, I would love to hear your comments.

RJ

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I use dvi from htpc, and dvd transfers like Attack of the Clones are a sight to see, though I still think Hi Def is well ahead in the quality stakes - judging from the small clips I've seen so far any way.

I'll be interested in hearing your views though as you have far more Hi Def choice and therefore a much better comparison range.

Gary,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.