AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make a huge breakthrough in the quality of DVD playback on my HT1000.

I had my DVD player setup in the 4:3 leterbox mode. I was seeing excessive alaising and lots wiggles which did not jive with the reports Alan and others had made.

Tonight I tried putting the DVD player into 16:9 mode and then setup the HT1000 zoom to "Cinema" which sqeezes the image on the verticle to a normal aspect ratio.

Much to my surprize, all of the artifacts I was seeing disappeared.

It would appear the DVD player in the 4:3 letterbox mode scales the image in a way that inhibits the faroudja processor from doing it's job.

Perhaps my discovery is common knowledge, but I did not see info in the projector or DVD player literature that would suggest this setup to achieve best results.

Since it's now offically thanksgiving, I'm thankful for this small blessing.

Happy Holiday everyone.

RJ

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep, that is basically correct.

When the DVD player squishes the image, to allow anamorphic material to appear in a 4:3 frame, it is limited to the number of lines available to the analog format.

So for NTSC, this is 480, and PAL, 576. So it must drops lines of resolution to comply with the format, and add black bars top and bottom.

When you set the projector to do this instead (DVD player 16:9, PJ cinema mode), the projector is processing internally in the digital realm, so it is not limited by the contraints of the analog format and loses NO resolution.

This is why you noticed a considerable improvement.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The moral of the story is, regardless of the actual aspect ratio of your display, the DVD player itself should be set for 16:9 output. Otherwise you're not getting the full advantage of anamorphic DVDs.

(This only applies to 4:3 devices which have either a Cinema mode (for digitals) or a "squeeze mode" for CRTs) of course. Certainly any display device likely to be discussed in this forum will have such a mode.

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Hey RJ, do you run your DVD player in progressive or interlaced?? I've had better sucess in progressive but maybe I'm not doing something right, cause I've read others use interlaced. Thanks for your input!!!

Scott

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by scottyb
Hey RJ, do you run your DVD player in progressive or interlaced?? I've had better sucess in progressive but maybe I'm not doing something right, cause I've read others use interlaced. Thanks for your input!!!

Scott
Interlaced... but since finding this little setup change, I will go back and try the progressive output.

I think the Faroudja in the HT1000 is in theory better whatever is being used in my Sony 715p. Also, when feeding a 480p signal to the HT1000, a number of important and useful image setup controls are turned off. So all things being equal, running a 480i signal into the HT1000 is preferred, IMHO.

However, I am now considering the best 480i playback source, so I am going to try the RP-82 with the HT1000.

I tried the Philips 962SA and the video quality was superior to the Sony, but I do not like the Philips in a number of ways. Mainly how you have to remove the DVD from the unit to be able to get into some of the player setup menus. Dumb.

RJ

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
One other quick question for you and all others. My DVD player has the Faroudja chip as does my projector. Is it better to the the DVD player do the interlacing or the projector???

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi Scott,

The only good answer will come from trying each mode, interlaced and progressive, and picking the one you like the best!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.