AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took delivery of my new NEC projector this weekend and thought I would share my experience so far. I have been using an NEC LT150 for the past couple of years but decided to upgrade to get the improved contrast, zoom, lower fan noise etc. So I am saying goodbye to my beloved little LT150.

In addition to the HT1000 I considered the Optoma H56. They both use the same DDR chip, similar color wheel, 2000+ contrast, good internal scaling / deinterlacing. The Optoma is somewhat less expensive up here in Canada. Both units look great, but in the end, the HT1000 short throw distance worked and the Optoma long throw didn't.

Within a couple of minutes of taking my HT1000 out of the box, I saw what I had almost been expecting after reading other posts on this forum - a dead pixel. I had one on my LT150 as well and was hoping for better luck this time. None of the dozen or so Optoma H56's that my dealer has sold in the last few weeks had any dead pixels. Does NEC get a good deal on DLP chips with stuck mirrors? Oh well. At least it is outside the 16:9 area. Unless I go to a panamorph I will be ok.

Once I got over that, the next issue was completely unexpected. When the projector was in standby, relays would click and the status light would come on whenever I used my remote to control my tuner, cd player or processor. Fortunately I figured out an easy solution. I clicked the box that causes the projector to go into idle mode instead of standby. No more false response to infra-red signals.

The biggest positive surprise was the noise level. I used it in regular mode for a while and thought it was a nice reduction from the noisier LT150. But then I put it into econo mode and couldn't believe how quiet it became! I muted the audio several times just to check that the fans were still turning. This alone made it worth the extra money over the H56.

I did a quick calibration with Avia. I then went through and turned off most of the video processing features like Sweetvision and black expansion. I thought they added too many artifacts. I like a clean picture. Overscan was set to zero since using this caused a significant degradation in picture quality. To clean up TV edges I think I will use the blanking feature and turn off a couple of rows of pixels. This was one of the many features that this machine has that the Optoma didn't. Another is the ability to move the 16:9 image up and down.

HD looked pretty good, but analog TV was only ok. I've been spoiled by using an Iscan Pro to clean up analog TV channels. I sold it recently though in an effort to simplify my AV system. But I can live with the NEC as a TV, especially as more digital and HD channels become available in Vancouver (five HD channels currently).

The first dvd will be watched tonight so I can't really comment in detail on the picture. I watched a few minutes of Fifth Element and Shakespeare in Love and thought the picture was great. However, it did was somewhat too red. My dealer ran Colorfacts on the unit and confirmed that red was way too high at the low end. Is this something that will correct itself after I put some hours on the unit? Everyone else seemed to get good color right out of the box, so I was surprised by this. I think I will wait a couple of weeks before adjusting white balance though. Have some of you HT1000 owner lowered the red contrast?

This post is getting a little long so I'll stop and go program the NEC commands into my Marantz remote and finish going through the manual. I think this is a projector my wife and I will be happy with for the next few years. I really don't want to upgrade again until 1080 DLP chip projectors are made, and I don't expect that will be for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
24,986 Posts
Tim,

"I've been spoiled by using an Iscan Pro to clean up analog TV channels."

Are you saying the iscan did a better job than the DCDi? I thought the consensus was that they were pretty close, with the edge going to DCDi. Are there other variables that could explain it?

IIRC the bulbs lose proportionately more red early (50-100 hr) in their life, so waiting to calibrate makes sense.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for the info. Where did you buy the HT1000? I'd like to see how it looks. And are you thinking of selling the LT150 anytime soon?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noah,

I think the DCDi and the Sil 504 chips both do a great job of deinterlacing. My guess is that the Iscan Pro contains other circuitry before the deinterlacing chip that cleans up poor quality video sources like analog TV.

I think I'll do colorfacts again after some burn-in. Hopefully, the decrease in red output is exponential and a lot of it occurs in the first few hours.

Tino, I purchased my HT1000 from the Soundroom on Broadway. They are actually Optoma dealers so they don't have an NEC to view. I plan on selling my LT150 now that the new unit has arrived. If you are interested, please send me a private message.

Tim

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i'll be following your future posts with great interest since i also have a LT150 and i'm finally starting to become aware of what is available (and should be more in my price range in 1-2 yrs). i still have about 100 hrs to go on the original bulb, and a fresh one ready to go after that, so it probably won't be anytime soon.

i really want to hear what you think of the picture w/ dvds, as thats all i use mine for right now.

i was watching Serpico and Femme Fatale last night and once again i was suprised at just how satisfying a picture i get out of a sub $2000 pj and a $250 dvd player.

the quieter fan, econo-mode and better scaler are all improvements that i will be looking forward to though.

i wonder if dell would ever carry these?

being aimed at the HT market, i'm guessing not...oh well.

maybe they still might hit the $3-4K mark eventually?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Interesting post, Tim. What color temp setting were you using ? In the Widescreen Review take on the HT1000, Bill Cushman said the unit he was reviewing that the 6500k setting had close to D65 temperature but had too much green. In your case it sounds more like too much red.

I hope to be receiving my HT1000 before the week is out. In the meantime I will be reading any further posts by you with much interest.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some more viewing last night it seems that the excess redness is settling down. I did wonder about one other phenomenon though. The bottom and top edges of the picture are a little lighter than the rest of the image - just the first few rows of pixels. I didn't notice this on the Optoma H56. What causes this?

ckolchak,

This projector is better on dvd, most notably in the area of contrast. But this comes at a high price. I do have to wonder about my fiscal sanity. Our LT150 / Iscan Pro combo produced results we were happy with. A friend of mine who upgraded from Plus Piano to Optoma H56 kept talking to me about these new projectors and wore me down. My original plan was to keep the LT150 until the better units came down in price like you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
George,

I have the HT1000 set to 6500k. After I have some hours on the unit I plan on bringing it in to the dealer and running Colorfacts again. Then I will calibrate it properly.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tim:

Two questions please: 1) How did you check for dead pixels?; and 2) How would you gauge the general performance on DVDs and HDTV compared to the LT150? Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don,

The first thing I did after turning the HT1000 on initially was to play the Avia DVD and look at the light gray screens in the test patterns with the screen set to 4:3. The dark dot near the top was immediately obvious. I then set the screen to 16:9 and have pretty much forgotten about it. For all I know maybe the pixel became unstuck and everything is fine. I should check tonight.

The performance on DVD is definitely a step up from the LT150. The image looks more detailed, focused and has more depth, thanks to the higher contrast. Color is also better, especially the reds.

I'll know more in a few days. We've been watching with an inexpensive 30' Mogami S-Video cable. The Wireworld component cable arrives tomorrow so we will get a better idea of what this projector can do. I also want to calibrate it soon. The initial redness has disappeared and has been replaced by a little too much green, especially in the dark scenes.

HDTV also looks good, but I thought the LT150 did a surprisingly good job on HD, so my wife and I are noticing the improvement more with DVD so far.

The projector is a winner. The greatest improvement over the LT150 is the fan noise level. In eco-mode it is incredibly quiet. With the LT150 watching movies could become a little fatiguing just because of the noise. The LT150 was such a great deal though, and I love it's compact size. I was a little sorry to see it go.

Tim

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes they are (except for the fact that they are a little on the green side).

The unused area above and below the 16:9 image is also darker and less noticeable, presumably because of the 12 degree mirrors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.