Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will order another projector and I am hesitating between HT1000 and Screenplay 7200... any comments? pros & cons ?

I am really looking for best blacks & vibrant colors mostly to watch DVDs.

Also, will I get some improvement if I replace my 16:9 Grayhawk material for Firehawk?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
What is your screen size and viewing distance? The extra resolution of the 7200 can be an advantage depending on your screen size and viewing distance, and an even bigger advantage if you plan to watch a fair amount of 720p (especially) or 1080i HDTV.

Also I wouldn't necessarily rule our a 1.3 white screen with either of these pjs, especially if you have very good ambient light control.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 110" diag 16:9 Grayhawk with total light control.

Seating distance is about 12.5'.

Why would you consider a white 1.3 gain screen?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Ricky with all the pj's and other equipment that pass your door why don't you add a HiPower screen to your inventory ? Just give it a try and add it to your arsenal. You may be surprised with the results when comparing screens and the strong preference of viewers if given the opportunity.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I am also considering these two pjs. Any comparisions would be appreciated. Luckily for me there is a dealer in town that carries both. Unfortunately he doesn't have them in stock yet.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Yeah, but there aren't many dealers by me. I'm in Central WI. I feel fortunate that we have a dealer that carries, projectors, much less the two brands I'm looking at.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jimmy,

I am about to get a Firehawk so I will be able to make comparison with the Grayhawk.

If anyone saw both projectors in action, please give us some feedback.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
We have seen both projectors in action. They each have their pros and cons. If you are mostly watching DVD and other non-HD sources, or if you are going with a smaller screen, then the HT1000 is a good bet. If you plan to watch a lot of HDTV or a large screen, you might want to consider the 7200. One thing that I noticed on the 7200 is the brightness. It is one of the brightest, if not the brightest, HT DLP projectors I've seen. Very impressed with that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky D
I have a 110" diag 16:9 Grayhawk with total light control.

Seating distance is about 12.5'.

Why would you consider a white 1.3 gain screen?
Most folks here will recommend the Firehawk with either of these two pjs.

I have seen the difference in whites between the Firehawk and a 1.0 gain white screen. For my personal tastes, I feel the colors and white in particular are a bit more natural looking on the white screen.

There are two main reasons to consider a Firehawk: 1) increased CR/blacks, and 2) helping control ambient light. Regarding #1, I don't see that as completely necessary with these pjs given their relatively higher CR. Its a tradeoff - better blacks, while losing a tone in the whites.

I haven't spent enough time with the 7200 to make a determination on which screen type to go with. If I feel the blacks are quite good on a white screen, I will go with white. If I feel the blacks are a bit lacking, then I'll go with the Firehawk. I'll be spending more time with this pj soon, and I will be comparing screens to try and determine whether in my opinion a grey screen will benefit the 7200. More to come...

As for reason #2 - if you need some help getting better ambient light control, the the Firehawk is a no brainer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Turk
If you plan to watch a lot of HDTV or a large screen, you might want to consider the 7200
Thanks Jason... BTW, what do you consider a big screen?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well that is subjective. Assuming 16:9, I would say if you want to go 110" diag. or larger, the Infocus would likely be a better bet. Keep in mind that the HT1000 is only a 1024x768 chip, so for 16:9 you have only 1024x576 or thereabouts. That might be a bit noticeable on a larger such screen. Of course, this is also assuming a "regular" viewing distance. You could put the HT1000 on a 12' wide screen and be 25' away, and the pixel structure would probably not be an issue. Generally this is not common.

I was overall very impressed with both projectors, and I think that most people would be happy with either. My personal preference is the Infocus. I liked the bright punchy image, I thought that the blacks were very good, and the internal scaling (Faroudja FLI2300) is a bonus, especially for those on a budget or who are like me and want it simple if possible (well, my wife really!).

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd
As for reason #2 - if you need some help getting better ambient light control, the the Firehawk is a no brainer.
I'm not sure that the Firehawk is a no brainer over the Da-Lite Hi-Power. Especially considering the prices. From what I've read I don't know why the HT1000 would need much help with black level and the Hi-Power does a good job of rejecting ambient light, although it depends on where it is coming from, as it is retroreflective. Another advantage of the Hi-Power is that they are priced low enough to not be much risk if you decide to get rid of it later. Even though I've heard the Firehawks hold their value well, you still would lose a lot more selling something that starts out at least 5 times higher in price.

Some of this depends on your projector placement. I've read that the Firehawk is recommended for longer throw projectors and the HT1000 is a fairly short throw compared to most on this forum. Also, with ceiling mount the image offset of the HT1000 might be a negative on the Hi-Power, but you would still get the ambient light rejection.

--Darin

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hi Power is an excellent material for certain situations, as is the Firehawk for others. I really don't think, and a lot of people do it, that they should be compared. Both really have their pros and cons for different situations. I definitely agree with darinp that Firehawk is not always the best material.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
I'm not sure that the Firehawk is a no brainer over the Da-Lite Hi-Power. Especially considering the prices. From what I've read I don't know why the HT1000 would need much help with black level and the Hi-Power does a good job of rejecting ambient light, although it depends on where it is coming from, as it is retroreflective. Another advantage of the Hi-Power is that they are priced low enough to not be much risk if you decide to get rid of it later. Even though I've heard the Firehawks hold their value well, you still would lose a lot more selling something that starts out at least 5 times higher in price.

Some of this depends on your projector placement. I've read that the Firehawk is recommended for longer throw projectors and the HT1000 is a fairly short throw compared to most on this forum. Also, with ceiling mount the image offset of the HT1000 might be a negative on the Hi-Power, but you would still get the ambient light rejection.

--Darin
Good point Darin. By "no-brainer" I was referring to the Firehawk over a white screen, but I also agree that could mean a HighPower over a white screen too.

I would go for a HighPower but because of its retro-reflective nature and my viewing angles (relatively high screen position), it would mean that I'd only pick up around 1.3 gain or so. At that point I figure I might as well go with the 1.3 or 1.5 gain white. BUT of course I will not pick up any of the screens cross-reflection reducing properties. Bummer. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.