Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having paralysis by analysis.

After 12 months I have finally finshed my home theater. I am now ready to buy a projector and have narrowed it down to the HT1000+panamorph lens or the Benq 8700.

Prices is pretty close with the NEC+lens combo coming out about $100 more.

My viewing will be satellite TV plus satellite HD, as well as DVD. All this will be running off a HTPC.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I agree with Craig,

I'm sure most of us are using the NEC without an Anamorphic adapter and perhaps would like to try one just for that slight amount of Reso gain, but really don't feel the need anyway because of the already great picture of the HT-1000/1100.

I have often viewed the 8700 & NEC's and for what it is worth I find the following:

If your viewing habits tend toward HDTV, TV dramas and action (incl. sport) shot with "Broadcast Television Cameras" go for the 8700, as it is very kind to this type of material.

Should however you relax in your theatre and sit back to enjoy a good movie, the NEC wins hands down. It is so much more a "movie machine"

and the very marginal loss of high frequency detail you lose will be completely forgotten.

If you are suspicious and want to go Anamorphic Adapter on an NEC, DO IT, cleaning off a bit of extra dust will still be worth the effort!

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Panamorph will let you return their lens if you don't like it, so you can always see what you think with an HT1000. Some people swear by them. I tried 2 different ones and didn't find them worth it. I'm perfectly happy with the HT1000 just the way it is. It isn't perfect, but nothing I can afford is ( and I can think of some quibbles I would have even with a currently available $12,000 machine, so why go there yet, even if i could ).

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You can't really make a bad decision here but I think the choice should be between the HT1000 without the lens and the BenQ. If you already own a Ht1000 adding a lens could be a good thing but if you are starting off fresh and are looking to achieve a true 16:9 projector by either converting a 4:3 projector into a 16:9 or by buying a 16:9 projector I think it makes more sense just to buy a true 16:9 projector and meet your goals with an out of the box solution.

·
Premium Member
24,628 Posts
"sit back to enjoy a good movie, the NEC wins hands down. It is so much more a "movie machine""

What is this statement based on? From what I've read they're pretty equivalent in PQ, with it basically coming down to whether you wanted to spend the extra money for the Benq's extra res.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fishhooks,

No offense, but if you ever have a chance to compare the DVD PQ between 8700 and your ht1000. I am about to buy one myself and have the same dilemma as jorgel. Since I can't see both in person, I have to make my decision based on information here. Thanks for your help.

Naris

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sorry Noah,

I just can't retract 39 years in an occupation of purely assessing and controlling telecine & live camera pictures.

Nor can I fully explain the subtle differences I see in these pictures.

I guess it is in my 'blood' and when I post an opinion, it is more-or-less exactly what I see.

In passing on this opinion, of course I could be wrong in others eyes, but after all it is only an "opinion"

jorgel asked for an "opinion" and that's exactly what he received from me!

Naris,

I find the resolution of the NEC's "spot-on" and am still to see them with an Anamorphic lens, so according to all reports, I would probably be impressed further, if that is possible.

I am basing my comments on primarily DVD's which I cannot imagine looking better.

However given the 720P of the BenQ and seeing it produce live television pictures from the latest generation Sony HDTV Cameras, this projector more equates to this medium. The pictures on a 8700 in-a-way maintain the "crispness" and live feeling of TV pictures.

I do not find this necessary for DVD Movies!

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Id go 8700 no question... I havent seen both side by side but Ive been more impressed with my 8700 demo than my HT1000 demo plus the non-widescreen really hurt it IMO since I do almost no regualr TV viewing anymore (not to mention my screen is 16x9 so it wouldnt work right in 4x3 anyways)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I own a HT1000 and it's a great projector. However, I now tend to crave more resolution as the pixel structure is just visible to me and I feel a higher resolution would improve smoothness greatly. I'm using a HTPC as I have never been satisfied with the image processing of the HT1000, despite what the fans are saying. :) If I was buying now I would not get an XGA projector, I'd get at least a 720p projector. I also feel that I would prefer a constant height screen over a constant width.

I plan to make a new anamorphic lens as soon as I have the time.

Even though I crave more resolution I'm not going to upgrade for a long while. It's still a great projector and the resolution issue is the only issue I have with it, and it isn't a big problem. :)

BTW, I have never experienced a proper demo of a 720p projector.

Regards,

Tor Arne

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.