AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a home demonstration of the HT1000 and thought it was glorious.

Has anybody seen both-and is able to comment whether the additional £1500 for the NEC is worth it?

I realise that this query straddles both forums.

I will be sitting 8ft from the screen and hope to limit screen width to 5ft.

Babyjazz.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Panny 300 may have screendoor issue at 8 feet from screen even with "smooth-screen" technology due to LCD technology and lower resolution. IMHO, HT1000 is worth the extra money: better contrast, better video scaler (DCDi or Faroudja), better resolution, better brightness, adjustable iris (adjust contrast and brightness quickly depending on movie tittle), better HD support due to higher resolution, HDCP compliant (important for future compatibility), 1/3 less dead pixels and dust blobs (LCD has 3 panels vs. DLP's one), sealed optics (less risk for dust blobs), more tweakability.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've seen them both though not side by side. I seriously considered buying the Panny 300 as well as the Sony HS10 but I decided to buy the HT1000 so obviously I felt it justified it's added cost. I don't regret my decision.

I would be concerned with a seating distance of 1.6x screen width and any LCD projector. It's not so much screen door because the Panny's smooth screen feature really does work. What I found distracting with LCDs were the scanline artifacts and fixed pattern noise. I personally wouldn't want to sit closer then 1.75x as a minimum with 2x probably being what I would choose.

For me, the brightness would also be an issue with the Panny but on a 5 foot screen it should be fine. On an 8 foot screen the Panny wouldn't have an tolerance for ambiant light. You might actually find the NEC too bright on a 5 foot screen. Are you sensitive to rainbows? I believe the brighter image will exacerbate rainbow issues.

Edit: It occurred to me that you can always use a ND filter if the image is too bright so that shouldn't be a concern.

-Dylan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It looks like it is the NEC.

Brightness was not an issue in economy mode and neither are rainbows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.