AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the V880 and DVI, I've tried several sets of recommended color settings. I still prefer the picture I get when I start with "movie", change the temp to the stock 7800 setting and turn black detail on.

Once I get around to putting Colorfacts on it I imagine I'll probably want to make some changes from that. But right now I'm very happy.

DVI and RGB (Theater Tek) to my eyes appear about equally free of noise and artifacts. There might be some very slight difference in sharpness but for me that difference is not enough to matter.

So even though I would like to ditch the PC, why have I about decided to go back to RGB? It's because all DVD's are not made the same. A few are a little hotter than other's. You'll know it immediately because they light up the letterbox bars. A quick tweak of the brightness and/or contrast settings would easily rectify that.

That is if we had brightness and contrast adjustment. But we don't.

For some idiotic reason, they disabled this control with DVI. It's like if they built a Ferrari with an automatic transmission, and then decided not to let the driver manually select a gear. How stupid!

Since we have several user memories, I guess theoretically we could set up more than one memory for DVD. And try to address this with different settings in all the individual color adjusments. But why have to go through all of that?

Bob

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Since we have several user memories, I guess theoretically we could set up more than one memory for DVD. And try to address this with different settings in all the individual color adjusments. But why have to go through all of that?
oh, it's not that bad.

i got as far as i could with one one of the user settings and then i copied everything into the other 3 and just tweaked a couple of values to compensate for those different transfers-

a little higher contrast in one, 6500K temp in the other,

a change from natural to dynamic gamma in the next, and so on.

i generally like the appearance of 7800K better than 6500K, but reds are a bit of pain to dial in over 6500K. the higher i go, the more they start to become magent-ish/flourescant.

after about 30 hrs of just watching the same clips over and over and the test patterns, and pulling up the menus every ten minutes, it was worth the effort to get 4 similar but different settings programed in.

now i'm going to limit myself to just switching betwen user settings if i feel i need to tweak the picture.

i feel like i have a pretty solid range now to accomodate just about any transfer i run into.

watched about 6 films in their entirity so far.

i'm liking this pj better with each one.

in fact, i think i may be forming an unnatural attachment to it.

it's probably good that we're going to be apart for awhile.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder why I'm the only one (and you to a lesser extent) who has any complaint about this (not having the adjustments)? To me it's not just

an insignificant thing. It's major. If I had the adjustment I could tame the hot crushed whites present in some transfers. I could turn off the glow in the letterbox bars seen in some others.

They could so easily turn these adjustments on with a firmware change. But if I'm the only one who cares why should they bother?

Is this oddity present in all displays when DVI is selected? Or is it just peculiar to the HT?

Also, the color is so much better to me at 7800 than 6500 that I'm puzzled why it's only me (and again you to a lesser extent) who see's that differently too. I'm wondering if Tom's having almost 1000 hours on the lamp is helping to explain that. He would have probably lost some red output by now and maybe the 6500 setting is compensating for it. Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Have you tried "blanking" for covering up the letterbox bars? As far as the rest goes I can't really say. I'll chime in once I get my Momitsu.

You really shouldn't have to play with the settings for every other movie, maybe Grant (DejaVu) or Guitarman will add their comments...

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish they would. Otherwise I'm going to start feeling very peculiar. :)

I might have given the wrong impression. Most transfers are comparable.

It's just the occasional one that benefits from this tweaking. But that still makes it annoying. When that could so easily be remedied by never having turned off those adjustments to start with. I don't even understand the rationale for that.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I'm sure they will. You should also find out as much info about the DVI settings on the Momitsu from the DVD forum.

So... did you try the blanking?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tell you what (as Hank Hill would say). There's one thing about this thing that's pretty darn remarkable.

Up until now I would never have dreamed I would be wanting to detentuate color saturation with a DLP. Not enough color was always the norm. But with the HT1000/DVI combo I actually got to seeing too much color and a while ago I nudged the master color gain control down two clicks.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even if blanking would mask the light to the bars it's just smoke and mirrors. Because if the brightness needs to be taken down then low IRE in the image is suffering too. So unfortunately that's not a good substitute for gaining control.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
yeah,

that's another reason i haven't felt compelled to hook the samsung back up after my initial looksee the other night (i still haven't gotten around to hauling it back yet though).

i'm using component/rgb not dvi.

on the whole i'm thrilled with the picture.

enough so, that i'm not going to be giving dvi much thought until some other heavy hitters show up with their versions.

i really was immediately wowed after dialing in the settings Tom gave me, but after a few minutes i was thinking the contrast was a little too harsh and would have liked to have toned that down a little.

But i think this is not just a quirk of the HT.

have you played with your white balances?

i would think RGB contrasts would be worth investigating.

but i know you know that if the lbx bars are the primary thing that are annoying you, you can do better than tweaking the settings if you just get some kind of masking system up.

the black levels i'm seeing are very impressive, very deep, very inky (and i'm seeing wonderful detail in these shadow areas that i was clearly missing/straining to see with the LT150), but i personally, still crave that hard edged, pure black cutoff.

i may only be fooling myself, but i believe having the absolute black frame gives more punch to the colors and the contrast.

it also benefits the composition as the lbx bars aren't being read, subconciously, as part of the picture.

this worked with my crt rp, and it makes an even bigger difference with a digital fp.

not a minor tweak in terms of impact.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
But with the HT1000/DVI combo I actually got to seeing too much color and a while ago I nudged the master color gain control down two clicks.
yup.

same here.

stock is too saturated for me.

i'm also using sRGB(as opposed to movie) for most(all?) of my user settings.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm satisfied too. So much so that the CRT will finally be coming down. I want to get the projector on the ceiling and now the CRT is just something in my way. :)

For someone who's accustomed to CRT, I would be lieing to myself to say that the dark stuff is still very lacking with DLP. But that now takes a back seat to all the rest. Everything else is plenty good and some things are better. And that's not even taking into account the convenience factor.

p.s. I have a new problem though. I'm now addicted to wanting to use this with the High Power screen. And now I loose that when I put the projector on the ceiling. It's always something.

Bob

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
OK - That got my attention. Could not find reference to the hard drive though. This thing certainly is worth watching to see how it shakes out !

Hmm, I think you are on to something there - HTBC not PC ! Of course attache is more upscale than BriefCase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.