Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I just received my HT1000 and I'm desperate to get it set up correctly.

What picture management settings are you using ?

What is the latest firmware and how can check version?

Can 1:1 mapping (no scaling) be achieved via any input?

I have found these two picture management suggestions:

1)

Choose User 1

Now the Movie setting and gama Natural

The 6500k box will show checked, uncheck it and go to the white balances and put in my numbers.

Brightness R minus 20

Brightness G minus 13

Brightness B minue 15

Contrast R 180

Contrast G 118

Contrast B 126

Make sure you hit ok when exiting to save.

2)

MOVIE

Natural Gamma

Brightness = 0

Contrast = 115

color, hue and sharpness = factory

Leave the color controls set to the factory settings.

Color Temp 6500, 7500, 8500K depending on preference.

SweetVision = Off

Black Detail = Off

Contrast Enhancement = Off

///Magnus

·
Registered
111 Posts
Choice #1 is Guitarman's settings using a Bravo D1 dvd player with the dvi output. I applied these settings last night, and it is nothing short of spectacular! (Thanks once again Tom!). I think choice #2 from your list are settings from yet a different dvd player probably using the component or s-video output.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Those #2 settings were with a Panasonic XP-30 in both the 480i and 480p modes. I found a Panasonic RP-82 benefitted from the same settings.

I used to back off the sharpness wo 10 or even 5, but I found using the menu option for NOISE REDUCTION in the LOW setting does a better job. So I went back to factory sharpness and then apply the LOW Noise Reduction on DVDs with some moderate noise, like Golden Eye which has alot of noise in the whites.

Regarding how to get into the service mode to see the software/firmware...

Use the remote control to enter the following.

Press the HELP button (3) times

Then press ENTER MENU and a password box will pop up.

Then press DOWN ARROW, UP ARROW, RIGHT ARROW, UP ARROW, ENTER

The password box should disappear. Then press MENU again and you will see SERVICE at the top of the menu bar.

To find the software/firmware info in the service menu, go down to HELP, select INFORMATION and then go to page (4). It's all right there.

I think the latest is 1.05/1.10, but anything later than 1.05/1.08 solves all the issue we had with the HT1000 in the US with NTSC sources. I have 1.05/1.08 on my HT1000 and it is performing perfectly.

The service menu offers some interesting option. Perhaps the most usefull one is in the IMAGE OPTIONS, there is a adjustment fot VERTICAL DETAIL. When watching a 480i source, turning the vertical detail OFF helps eliminate some vertical edge detail which can beneficial. This option and many others are not available with a 480p or higher resolution source.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Magnus, here's the quick setups,

Using a progressive scan player.

Setup a user 1 to movie

choose either gamma black detail or Natural, your preference.

Basic picture settings can be left alone here.

Using an interlaced player.

Again basic picture setting can be left alone.

Setup a user say user 1 and choose Movie

In the picture enchancements I liked -

Sweetvision low

Deinterlace on

Black enhancement 3

Contrast enhancement minus 2 or minus 1

The best way to see what these enchancements are doing is to view them full on to full off.

They do have a pretty dramatic effect.

What kind of DVD player are you going to use?

·
Registered
39 Posts
In one review, it said that you could compare two settings side by side on the screen to see their effect. Haven't figured out how to do this, if it can be done -- can it?

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfm
In one review, it said that you could compare two settings side by side on the screen to see their effect. Haven't figured out how to do this, if it can be done -- can it?
When view a 480i source, the SweetVision menu has a Split Screen option, that let's you see one side affected the other side not affected.

I don't know of any other "side by side" comparison.

Flipping between USER MODES gives you a pretty good idea of how various setting compare, but it's best when the user modes to be compared are next to each other.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for not being very clear from the beginning.

I'm using a HTPC with ATI 9600 Pro graphics card.

Setting 1 for the Bravo is close but the colours are off.

I will have to get a calibration DVD...

Thanks for the tips for service menu etc.

I have one question still. How to achieve pixel perfect mapping without scaling?

Can it be done?

I remember seeing a long time ago that it wasn't.

If you have any other good tips keep em coming.

///Magnus

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I got from the service menu.

BIOS: 1.00

FIRMWARE: 1.10

DATA: 1.06

SUB CPU: 0.00

Btw, the projector is not as sharp at the top as the bottom.

And it's not a focus problem.

Anybody else see that?

///Magnus

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
You can have the Bravo D1 do the 1.1 pixel map. You need to download the firmware and get the instuctions from their site. It's under FAQ

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MagnusB
This is what I got from the service menu.

BIOS: 1.00

FIRMWARE: 1.10

DATA: 1.06

SUB CPU: 0.00

Btw, the projector is not as sharp at the top as the bottom.

And it's not a focus problem.

Anybody else see that?

///Magnus
How is your keystone? If your projection offset is such that you need alot of keystone adjustment, you could see a minor focus shift from top to bottom because of the slightly different throw distance.

If you're projecting a nice square image without keystone correction and you still see a focus issue, you may have a problem. Not sure what it could be as the light engine is pretty straight forward settup.

How much a focus difference do you see? If you focus the center of the image, do you see soft focus at the top & bottom?

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Tom(guitarman) or Robert Wood, or Tom Blake, and anyone else that know about caliberation,

I've tried the settings posted, but the picture is too red. Using AVIA, the settings work well for brightness but on contrast I can see both black bars until I turn the RGB contrast up to the 170's. OK, then doing this and putting Gladitor as a reference, i ran my settings and then 6500 and 7800. On 6500 and 7800 I could see details in scenes that I coulldn't see with my AVIA settings, but the picture looks slightly washed out. The picture with AVIA settings looks too dark in comparison.

It seems like the blacks are crushed(I'm not sure I know what this means). When I put up the gray steps on AVIA the last bar blends in with the background of the screen. I'm using a Grayhawk screen.

Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Scott

PS I forgot to say I'm running the Bravo using DVI.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Scott,

Here's the first BravoD1/HT1000 colorfacts settings member Dan got when he calibrated my setup. They were good but the Black level was a little higher than s/b. Anyway it s/b a good start. If black level needs a little tweaking just bring back the RGB-bright levels a click and equally.

User setting to Movie

gamma Correction - black detail

White Balance ---

Brightness R minus 14

Brightness G minus 8

Brightness B minus 8

Contrast R 120

Contrast G 72

Contranst B 68

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bytehoven
Regarding how to get into the service mode to see the software/firmware...

Use the remote control to enter the following.

Press the HELP button (3) times

Then press ENTER MENU and a password box will pop up.

Then press DOWN ARROW, UP ARROW, RIGHT ARROW, UP ARROW, ENTER

The password box should disappear. Then press MENU again and you will see SERVICE at the top of the menu bar.

To find the software/firmware info in the service menu, go down to HELP, select INFORMATION and then go to page (4). It's all right there.

I think the latest is 1.05/1.10, but anything later than 1.05/1.08 solves all the issue we had with the HT1000 in the US with NTSC sources. I have 1.05/1.08 on my HT1000 and it is performing perfectly.

regarding this , i cannot get it to work on my ht1000 , i press the help button 3 times and all it does is bring me to the information and contents page , is there any reason , you all might know why I cant access this service menu as I really want to know what firmware im running

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crumpet
regarding this , i cannot get it to work on my ht1000 , i press the help button 3 times and all it does is bring me to the information and contents page , is there any reason , you all might know why I cant access this service menu as I really want to know what firmware im running
Don't pay attention to that information page, just keep pressing the buttons needed to enter service menu (=help help help enter menu).

And be careful not to mess up anything!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just checked my info last night and is as follows:

bios - ver 1.00

firmware - ver 1.04

data - ver 1.07

sub-cpu - ver 0.00

How do you update all to current versions is it through the compact flash card readrer or do you take it to a NEC service centre?

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htnow
Just checked my info last night and is as follows:

bios - ver 1.00

firmware - ver 1.04

data - ver 1.07

sub-cpu - ver 0.00

How do you update all to current versions is it through the compact flash card readrer or do you take it to a NEC service centre?
Contact NEC tech support and ask if they will email you the files for the upgrade.

NEC is working on a website that will host the files for downloading, but it's not up and running yet. I have not gotten any commitment on the time frame for the download website.

I do believe, 1.04/1.07 might have taken care of all of the NTSC issue. I have 1.05/1.08 and my projector seems perfectly fine. I think I originally had 1.04/1.05 and I had sync issues which were talked about at length on the forum.

GIve NEC a call and see what they will do for you. You could say you heard there is a website coming but you would like to have the update files right away.

Let us know how it works out.

RJ

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
These settings are only for use with a Hoya Multicoat FLD http://thefilterconnection.com/shops...&testcookie=on in front of the machine and the s-video input. They will look pretty awful without that exact same filter in place. With these settings and the filter in place the image looks better than my NEC XG135LC CRT on 90% of scenes. The CRT still wins showing star fields and very dim films like Dark City, but in anything brighter the HT1000 shows greater clarity and imaged depth than my CRT. Definitely worth trying.

The Hoya FLD filter, because it corrects the white point optically, allows the DLP to be set to use a greater portion of its dynamic range than throttling down the DLP to get white balance correct. The result is higher contrast range in the image. A neutral density filter doesn't achieve that effect. I have mine taped in front of the lens but tilted to allow some air flow behind the filter.

Also important is shooting a smaller image size. On a 1.3 gain screen, a very good match for the projector's light output and pixel visibility is 60 inches wide and a viewing distance just over 2x width. I know this is relatively small but it is a very sweet spot for image fidelity from this machine. Iris is set slightly open. I set it by closing it completely and slowly opening it to the point at which there is a jump up in intensity of a bright scene.

Picture ---------------

Brightness -25

Contrast 32

Color 37

Hue 30

Sharpness 11

Setting -----------------

Reference Setting -Movie

Gamma Correction - Natural

Color Correction

Red -2, Green -5, Blue -4, Yellow -3, Magenta -11, cyan -3, color gain 6

White Balance

Brightness Red 1, Green 2, Blue 2

Contrast Red 185, Green 152, Blue 174

The following make a large impact. Use if available but not possible for all inputs.

SweetVision - Low

Deinterlace - On

Black Expansion 3

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Guy,

What filter size did you get?? I know it's not wise to screw on a 72mm because of the possibility of heat build-up, but what size did you find easiest to tape on?

Also, Iris closed or open?? And any DVI settings?

Bill

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.