AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this here rather than in the "above 5k" forum because it is truly way under US$5k here in Australia.

I just saw the HT1000 is action and I found that every good thing said abt it is true. The dealer also had a Marantz VPS12 in the other room. Regardless of the price difference, I felt that the overall picture quality from the NEC was better because I am a sucker for brilliant blacks.

Yes. The HT1000 had the best blacks I have ever seen from a digital projector. Not quite as good as Russ's CRT but nevertheless very very solid. There was an absence of grey mist which plaque many digital projectors in darker scenes.

I found every component of the image quality to be excellent to downright brilliant. There was no visible pixelisation from 5 feet from the screen. The image was very smooth with deep perceived depth of field.

We watched the first few dark scenes from the Gladiator and the shadow detail on the uniforms in the tents were very clear. Processing was also almost faultless not quite as good as my DVI via HTPC but nevertheless it was something I could easily live with.

Skin tones and blacks stood out the most. If I was going to buy another projector, I would buy this fella because it is unlikely that you'll need a better machine to watch a DVD.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Did you see any tearing of the picture or any rainbow effects?

I was geared up to purchase the LT240 here in Adelaide but I saw a few rainbows in some scene's.

Apparently it tears the picture in half horizontally did you see any of that?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Your title is somewhat misleading. When I clicked on it, I thought you had something that was a HT1000 Killer. You mean to say that NEC HT1000 Projector IS Killer :)

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
yeah, your title is funky. It implies you are talking about a projector that kills the ht1000.

it should be called this NEC HT1000: Projector Killer

whatver the case, thanks for the feedback. The pj does sound like one damn kick ass performer.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
There are also rumors of a price drop just after the beginning of the year. I'm not sure if that will put it under $4k street in the US or not. I'm still hoping they come out with a 1280x720 version of that thing. That would be a great projector, but as you say Lyndonlim, it probably isn't necessary for DVDs. It does depend on screen size/viewing distance, though. I think a 16x9 version would be pretty popular on the other forum. I'll be looking and hoping at CES the 2nd week of January.

--Darin

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the misleading title I was at work so i was rushing my post through after viewing it.

If I was a newbie I would forget about the Piano, Z90, X1, and all the others out there. I wished I was a newbie and that I haven't sunk all my money into trial up and coming technology.

The HT1000's image particularly the blacks is very close to that of the CRT. We played it in "film" gamma mode and shrunk the aperture...fantastic image.

Its a brain dead decision for that sort of price, I would not even bother having a look at competitors' offering. The biggest joke is jokers like Yamaha DPX-1, Optoma H55, Infocus LS110, and Sony VPW12 are still priced around AUD$9999.00. Not to mention my own Plus Piano at AUD$7k.

(its perfectly excusable if you see rainbows thus choosing the Sony 12HT)

Can you believe it...the DPX-1 is still in the market.....unbelievable...and the LS110 (the "multi award" winning projector)...even funnier !

You've got to be short of some serious IQ if you choose these fellas over the HT1000 when something like the HT1000 exists. Sorry guys, I know this may sound pretty insulting but I am still kicking myself for not waiting another 2 months for this fella to come out before I took the plunge with my Piano.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I saw the 12HT and HS10 sony LCD's side by sideall I can say is the HS10 at nearly half the price.

Did you see any tearing on the HT1000?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are there any places in Silicon Valley or San Francisco Bay Area where one could audition the HT1000?

I'm close to purchasing a LS110 (I liked it better than the Sharp 9000, even with the light spill issues) and would consider other PJs, however am not willing to purchase sight unseen. It has been very time consuming to find dealers/HT stores that demo the PJs that I've had on my short list...

thx

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was no evidence of tearing on the PAL The Gladiator which I saw. It was the first battle scene so there was a lot of paning movement in the dark....where the horses are ridding along the trees charging down the hill.

The LT249 and LT260 are a different beast all together because of their inferior RGBW in contrast to the 1000's RGBRGB color wheel. You are always going to have rainbow and perceived color instability problems with RGBW wheels.

Based on NEC's reputation and the fanatical reviews, I would buy the HT1000 without seeing one. The features are out of this world, the fan noise in Eco mode is whisper quiet....its a brain dead decision guys...if you buy it and regret the decision (based on picture quality)...I will give you permission to harrass me over the forum for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
i would advise again the LS110: plagued with problems, grey blacks, light spill, flashes of colors.

much cheaper and far better is the new SHARP Z90. the SHARP 9000 has also seen its price almost cut in half if you can still find some.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Quote:
We played it in "film" gamma mode and shrunk the aperture...fantastic image. [/b]

Hi...

You said "film gamma" mode. Did you mean setting #2 on the Picture setting window called "Movie"?

I ask because the HT1000 does have gamma modes that are available under the Picture "User" modes 1 thru 4, and the gamma options are labled Dymanic, Normal & Black Detail.

I agree the HT1000 is a great projector, today. ;-)

There are many features to explore, so operational tips on the HT1000 should be coming as folks get more experience with the projector.

RJ

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm waiting on the price drop to get an HT1000. I'm assuming it will be $150-200, since that appears to be the drop on the rest of the NEC line. That plus the $150 MIR through the end of Feb. make it look sweet. Definately going to be playing in the high $3k's after rebate.

However I haven't seen any mention of the price drop on the LT240/260, in fact the prices I've seen have gone -up-. Strange. Hopefully we won't have to wait for the old higher priced stock to move before being able to pick up a newer lower-priced one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
DirkAngle:

I purchased the NEC LT-150 sight unseen a year and a half ago during Dell 's great price foul-up. Everything this forum had posted re the LT150 proved true. I've seen the LS10 and the Sharp 9000 you mention. The Lt150 PQ beats them both hands down. I can only assume that with all the positive input re the HT1000 that NEC has come up with an even better pj.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll be so irate from the lack of contrast that you'll probably turn off the projector and just listen to the amp, : )

Visual effect has a larger influence on us when compared to sound. I find you can go for a cheapie surround sound amp and a great PQ and you'll still have fun but if you have the best sound and mediocre PQ, you are likely to be distracted because sight is the stronger stimulus.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lyndonlim

Visual effect has a larger influence on us when compared to sound. I find you can go for a cheapie surround sound amp and a great PQ and you'll still have fun but if you have the best sound and mediocre PQ, you are likely to be distracted because sight is the stronger stimulus.
in 5 yrs, any pj bought today be a dinosaur... but a cinema grand signature bought today will still be the cornerstone in a vast majority of their owner's systems for a lot longer than 5 yrs. :rolleyes:

"Sound is 50 percent of the motion picture experience. If you don't have a good sound system, you cut the experience dramatically."

--George Lucas

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think they have fixed the PAL tearing in a software upgrade. That is what is said on a Swedish HT forum. Both a user and a shop is reporting that after the firmware upgrade, they havn't been able to spot any tearing at all.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hello,

I saw the HT 1000 a few days ago and agree that the picture is outstanding but...please be aware that RC2 HTPC users have a stutter issue. The HT 1000 works inetranlly only with 60 Hz. For PAL you have to use 50 or 75 Hz.

But, in spite of this, a great picture.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Isn't there any way of getting a stutter free R2 PAL image from HTPC? :(

Or is NTSC the only real option for this machine?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there anyone who can confirm the firmware upgrade from a source other than the Swedish forum?

Is the firmware upgradeable (flashable)?

Can you do the upgrades yourself?

I'm still considering buying the HT1000, but it is still not completely clear to me whether or not it will play my pal disc properly.

It is also still unclear to me if it will display PAL discs with stuttering Pans, because the PJ converts all signals (including the 50hz Pal) to 60hz.

Because of the Pal problem on the NEC, I'm also considering the Sharp XV-Z9000E. In Europe the sharp is about $6200 (discounted from $13000 !) and the NEC $5200.

In my opinion the Sharp picture was very nice. Moreover the E- version of the projector is optimized for PAL sources, has a faster colorwheel, optical lens shift and a higher resolution.

On the other hand the NEC's contrast ratio is currently top notch at this pricepoint.

What should I do? :confused: The waiting is driving me insane :eek: .

Cheers,

Thijs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.