AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been impressed after seeing the HT1000 in an out of the box comparison to the In Focus 5700 and 7200. I am left only wondering how the BenQ 8700 would compare in a controlled enviroment. Could anyone who has seen the HT1000 and BenQ 8700 comment on blacks/contrast and brightness or it may be helpful if someone has seen the 7200 and the BenQ 8700 for the same attributes.

What would help is for example, "I have seen both and the NEC has no/slight/a lot/ enormous more detail and contrast or vice versa; and has no/slight/a lot/enormous more brightness.

What I need to determine is if the BenQ is closer to the NEC or 7200 in brightness or contrast.

--------------

The NEC seems to have an almost cult like acceptance on many threads in this forum and it appeared somewhat deserved after seeing front projection for the first time myself. I only compare it to the HD2 BenQ to evaluate if it is worth the extra money and possibly delay future upgrades longer. The Benq appears to be the low cost of goods entry into HD2. Many thanks!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
This has been coming up a lot lately and there are posts around here that address it.

The BenQ has significantly more resolution than the HT1000 if you're sitting at less than 1.5 x distance to screen. That is, you might start seeing pixels at that short a distance.

The 7200 is the brightest of HD2s commonly used for home theater, at the cost, to some degree, of black level. Andrea Manuti measured the lumen output of the HT1000 at 135 default and 77 calibrated (!), the BenQ roughly 532 per Steve Smallcombe. The BenQ's contrast has been rated around 1800:1 while the HT1000's is higher by most reports, depending on how you measure, with the lowest (best) black level measurement among commonly used HT DLPs.

You are right, the BenQ (I own one) does appear to be the lowest-cost ticket at this moment into HD2 performance, and I can say its price-performance ratio is excellent. After tweaking, the BenQ looks a lot like the HT1000 to me but is brighter and smoother and allows me to have a bigger image without much breakdown in pq or visible pixels at my sitting point.

- Dan

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I'll agree. I have done comparisons with the BenQ and the NEC. Both are excellent projectors, although when setup properly the BenQ argueably gives somewhat smoother performance. If you watch a lot of HDTV, then I'd definitely go with the BenQ as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan, Thanks for your reply. I think you are saying per my question that you find the BenQ was more like the HT1000 for blacks and detail and contrast than the 7200?

I am aware of all the other numbers you mention and have read all the posts I could search out. It was some opinions on how close it was to the HT1000 or 7200 regarding blacks/detail and contrast I was interested in. While some additional brightness would be desired in the HT1000 tp really be primo to my eyes, I would sacrifice it to have the best blacks and contrast. Again, with the BenQ: If it would have as good a black and contast performance then the other benefits of the HD2 pq would be worth the additonal amount to me as it would bound to be at least a little more brighter too. What I don't want is a lot more brighter adn big loss of blacks and contrast.

My screen is 102" and both pj'swould work I believe with my controlled enviroment.; but the blacks/ detail and contrast are most important to me.

Thanks! Tom

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
tcbarb,

First, you should know that contrast and black levels were my primary concern in moving away from the HT1000 as I was making my decision to get a DLP after years with a CRT. I made the move because I could afford the BenQ and thought the HD2 resolution would be better for HD satellite and such coming up. And yes, from what I have seen of the 7200 the BenQ is closer to the HT1000 in contrast and black level performance. You'd might get the 7200 to look closer to the BenQ using a big gray screen or ND filters - maybe.

I don't think the BenQ would measure as low in black level as the HT1000 but that is more than made up for in resolution, and I'm really happy with going for the extra pixels. The extra brightness allows for more tweaking such as turning it down if needed and going with a bigger picture. I use a "gray screen" now (I actually made a DIY 60" x 107") and really like the picture size and quality I've got now.

If your screen is 102" wide you should, IMO, go for the BenQ, not the 7200 if you are really concerned about black levels and contrast. You will otherwise see pixels with the HT1000 at times especially if you're sitting at around 1.6 x screen width or less.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drapp1952 -

Thanks for your observations! Excatly the kind of info I am looking for. My decison is clearly no the HT1000, BenQ 8700, and a more remote possibility in the 7200. All HT I have seen seems to play blacks and contrast against brightness and color. Since I am in the blacks and contrast camp it as ggod the hear you place the BenQ much closer to the HT1000. Thanks again, Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far it seems it will be hard to actually see a BenQ 8700 in the Denver area. Looking at the internal components can anyone comment on the Pixelworks scaler vrs the Fourjoura, (apologize for spelling), I have seen in all other pj's viewed? I can't locate that they have much or any strong experience or a track record in HT before this initially compelling model. Is this a first effort for them and possibly explains the pricing, and limited availability to see? Tom

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
FWIW, the BenQ PE8700 uses Philips 7118 video decoder, Silicon Images Sil504 deinterlacer and Oplus Rembrandt - 1A scaling chip.

Could the AVS video gurus could comment on this combination?

·
Registered
78 Posts
tcbarb,

I got the BenQ and like it a lot. The PJ does everything well. It has no serious shortcomings. The brightness / contrast tradeoff is appropriate for my viewing environment.

That said, if you want the blacks like the HT1000, HD2 resolution and are not too concerned about brightness, you can get a refurbished Sharp Z10000 with full factory warranty for approximately the same money as the BenQ.

Bernie

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Bernie,

I assume the headaches you complained of went away, didn't they? I'm prone to DLP migraine as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Grubert,

Headache are almost gone at this point. The headaches consist of pressure on the frontal portions of my head. My wife had similar symptoms at first and they have gone away. I am unsure if DLP technology or the fact that I am watching a much larger and more engaging picture is the cause. I have been watching a 32 inch TV from almost the same distance (15 ft). The headaches seem to be exacerbated by high action material, a fully darkened room, a larger image and having the projector sharpness, contrast, brightness and/or color settings adjusted to provide a very punchy picture.

During the first three hours with the Benq, I watched Gladiator, Lord of the Rings and Moulin Rouge. I got fairly good headaches. However, I was tweaking things and really scrutinizing the image at that time. During the next hour, I watched the fullscreen version of the Pianist. I got a mild but definitely present headache. On the night I decided to keep the BenQ, I reduced the image to about 85 inches and softened the settings. I watched Undercover Brother with the light on in the back of the room and and then Vertical Limit with the light off in succession and had almost no headache. My wife felt none. Two night ago I watched Biker Boyz. The image size was also about 85 inches. Some scenes, such as those with hand held pans or involving bikes doing donuts gave me a mild headache and sense of vertigo similar to what I may get playing a 3D video game. I turned the light on in the back of room and things got better. Tonight I watched about 48 minutes of Star Wars AOTC and then Risky Business. The projected image for both was about 100 inches wide. There was no ambient light and the contrast and sharpness settings were up. I only feel the slightest amount of pressure on my head.

The minimal amount of strain I am feeling now is very tolerable and I believe the headache issue will likely go away altogether with continued viewing. A possible exception may be very intense action movies.

Bernie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Berni -

Thanks for your earlier comments and reply to my post in this thread.

I hesitate somewhat to speak up for sure, but I recall that consistant bright light bombardment can indeed cause headaches thru vision. Some folks get these driving at night in a big city, and I think this part of vision can be affected in the frontal lobe area. Perhaps an optomitrist/opthomoligist can comment further.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about the fan cycling noise I haver heard about with the BenQ? Is that a problem?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Reduced lighting conditions can also give you headaches if you're not used to it. Brightness, size, lighting they can all come into play. When I focus on what I'm looking at on screen that maybe give me headaches too.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wantin'

I'd consider the cycling fan noise a minor problem. Don't let it prevent you from considering a great pj that just happens to be the lowest priced among the HD2s right now.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.