AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in this PJ. I see much comment about it here but no discussion as to why NEC would choose to offer a discount at all if it is selling well. It is fairly new, is it not?

Usually rebates are the manufacturer's way of clearing inventory prior to announcing a new product.

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's hard to explain NEC's strategy on this one. They seem to have had some form of rebate on it from the very beginning, when I purchased mine, to the end of September this year. That's almost a whole year's worth.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Often, manufacturers of products have an ambition to capture the lion's share of the market in a particular price range in order to present this 'history' to corporate buyers at retail giants down the road, even to the point of giving up some potential profit sitting on the table today.

I think that may well be InFocus' strategy with the

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Three more points I can think of...

1. Not everyone fills out rebates and gets them mailed off in time. I would wager the submission rate is much higher with a $500 rebate, but still is not 100%. It helps get them sales at the lower price, and they still keep the money for those people who are too busy (not organized enough) to send in the form.

2. The rebate is for either cash or an anamorphic lens. It allows the customer decide which deal to take. IMHO, this ups the participation in teh anamorphic lens, which they may have seen as a plus.

3. It also helps them see how the market plays out for the anamorphic lens. How many chose it over the $ at this price point? The optimorph issues might have obscured this information, though.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Refling
It's hard to explain NEC's strategy on this one. They seem to have had some form of rebate on it from the very beginning, when I purchased mine, to the end of September this year. That's almost a whole year's worth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am very interested in this projector....For those of you that own it, are you happy...have you seen anything out there that is better (for the $$),

Have you had any problems. (Set up, black level, color, bulb life, etc.) Have you compared you unit to the HD-2 Mustang units. I do not want to make a mistake, as there are many other purchases needed in my theater and the price is attractive. (Especially with the rebate). Also, what screen did you pick (Type and size) My room will be 18 deep by 15 wide by 8ft high)

Appreciate any feedback....thanks

Gary (Big-G)

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
My feeling is that since this is NEC first foray into the home theater market, they did everything they could including coming out with a first rate projector to be sucessful. They have had a rebate almost since the projector was introduced and I think this was done as an incentive to buy the projector because of peoples biased against 4x3 projector. The new rebate ($500 or lens) was done in my opinion as a defense against the Infocus 5700 and all of the other Mattehorn chip projectors coming out. Since the new projectors will now bascially have the same resolution as the NEC (in 16x9 mode) and they are 16x9 projectors, NEC needed to give customers a incentive to buy the HT-1000. So if you wanted some really cheap, the $500 would help, if you wanted the ability to use the full resolution of the NEC and in effect turning the projector into a16x9 projector, you get the lens

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think that one reason companies offer rebates is that as soon as you send the rebate in you can no longer return the product. At least that is the rule that I have seen. This means that some people wait to fill out the rebate and then don't get it in on time.

Also, with a rebate that expires on a particular date you can get some people to commit before it expires, even if you are going to start another one a week later (but nobody knows).

As far as how sales are going, I didn't get the impression they were flying off the shelves recently from talking to NEC. In fact, I've gotten the impression that inventories of this projector are fairly high.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I think that NEC was expecting a slew of 4:3 DLPs at Cedia. So in a competitive move, their product marketing people put in the rebate and started lowering pricing. It's a standard marketing move to sell inventory and be more competitive.

But the competitive 4:3 DLP threat did not materialize and so NEC can revert its pricing back to where it was (which they did) and this rebate is a great deal based on this early strategic move by NEC (which is being reversed). They "own" the 4:3 hi-PQ DLP category.

Generally, on anything that approaches a $500 rebate, you should expect very close to 100% redemption... It's typically for the $20 and under rebates that redemption rates are much lower.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gwaehner

I am very interested in this projector....For those of you that own it,

are you happy
yes.

it's a very satisfying upgrade from what i previously owned (NEC LT150- XGA presentation projector)

Quote:
...have you seen anything out there that is better (for the $$),
no.

the options for 'better' in this price range (and under) would seem to be WXGA LCDs.

I prefer dlps over lcds.

i haven't seen the infocus 5700.

i've owned NEC before and had a very positive experience, so i'm a bit biased in their direction.

Quote:
Have you had any problems. (Set up, black level, color, bulb life, etc.)
n/a .

only have about 50 hrs on it so far.

Quote:
Have you compared you unit to the HD-2 Mustang units.
no.

i would expect that the HD2s would present a somewhat finer image at least in terms of smoothness/resolution at a given screensize.

i doubt i would see a significant difference in the other areas (rendering of colors, black levels and shadow detail, etc).

the Sharp and Marantz look attractive to me, but i can't find them for less than twice the end cost of the NEC.

and since i couldn't afford any of them anyway, even the BenQ, the point is moot for me.

Quote:
Also, what screen did you pick (Type and size) My room will be 18 deep by 15 wide by 8ft high)
i'm sitting about 12' from a 72" widescreen and can see pixel structure in some small, bright white details during some scenes.

with an HD2 i probably would have been able to push the screensize to 84"-92" before this occurs.

72" from 12' i find to be a very satisfying size, though.

Still enough room for my eyes to scan different parts of the screen for details, yet not so big that i have to continually dart my eyes from one side to the other just to understand whats going on.

even if i did have the extra pixels of an HD2, i don't think i would be pushing the screen much past 80".

put some pieces of tape on the wall or hang a sheet at various sizes and see what you would be acceptable to you.

screen is a diy job made of low gain blackout fabric stretched on a wooden frame.

cost of materials was about $40.

i've been using it for 2 yrs now and am quite satisfied.

as much as i love mine, i would never claim that the HT1K is the best pj out there.

maybe not even the best for the money, because it really depends on how much money you are comfortable on spending on these things.

compared to everything i've personally seen up till now, it was a great value purchase for my situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.