AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a bit of late night research on the HT1075/W1070+ and stumbled across the TrustedReviews article on the W1070+

Usually I find that this site is a touch more brutal on their grading than a lot of other review sites, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they got a reading of roughly 34ms (the same as the updated reading on the W1070) opposed to Projector Central's reading of roughly 50ms.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/benq-w1070-1-review-3d-sound-and-conclusions-page-3#tr-review-summary

I had to do a double take, and sure enough it is most definitely the W1070+ model they tested, as they did so with and without the optional wireless kit. IMO I find this much more believable than the 50ms that Projector Central measured just because the actual differences between the 1070 and 1070+ are very minimal, and no frame interpolation or other lag-heavy enhancements were added.

So is there anything solid on either of these measurements? Or do we just use whichever helps us sleep at night. :p

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't own either projector, but there is a lot wiggle room in latency measurements based on the particular setup. Are they testing a direct HDMI connection? Is it going through another device and then getting passed through? Do they both have the exact same settings turned on/off in the projectors menu? What methodology are they using to measure the latency? Are they using the same methodology and equipment? Is that equipment calibrated? What the two reviewers are seeing is a difference of 13 ms, whereas a 60 hz frame rate has 16.66 ms between them, thus the measurement difference between the two reviewers is less than a single frame.
I'd also argue that even at 50 ms delay, or roughly 3 frames for 60 hz progressive, a normal person would be unlikely to ever see a difference. "Mean RT for college-age individuals is about 160 milliseconds to detect an auditory stimulus, and approximately 190 milliseconds to detect visual stimulus," in other words, even at 50 ms, our own reaction time to visual stimulus is still multiples more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't own either projector, but there is a lot wiggle room in latency measurements based on the particular setup. Are they testing a direct HDMI connection? Is it going through another device and then getting passed through? Do they both have the exact same settings turned on/off in the projectors menu? What methodology are they using to measure the latency? Are they using the same methodology and equipment? Is that equipment calibrated? What the two reviewers are seeing is a difference of 13 ms, whereas a 60 hz frame rate has 16.66 ms between them, thus the measurement difference between the two reviewers is less than a single frame.
I'd also argue that even at 50 ms delay, or roughly 3 frames for 60 hz progressive, a normal person would be unlikely to ever see a difference. "Mean RT for college-age individuals is about 160 milliseconds to detect an auditory stimulus, and approximately 190 milliseconds to detect visual stimulus," in other words, even at 50 ms, our own reaction time to visual stimulus is still multiples more.
Agreed, I can't feel the difference at all from 30-50. So whether the spec actually matters for the individual boils down to how serious a gamer they are I suppose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a Russian review from the source I trust: BenQ W1070+ review.

Without you going there I can tell you the reviewer measured 47ms on HDMI connection.
This is exactly what I was hoping for, specifically VGA+HDMI testing. Though 45ms is a touch off the Projector Central measurement as well, so given the three different input lag readings I wonder if it is possible to configure a custom set "game" mode. For the grins and giggles it'd be interesting to see somebody turn off noise reduction and any other image enhancements before giving it a go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts