AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what type of connections I try I cant get output from the sub. I sent PMs back and forth with a few guys on here and appreciate their time and advice but still have not found a solution. Wired the HT18D2 to 4 ohm load and want to run the inuke3000dsp in bridged mode with a limiter of around 1100W. Inside the box I have the sub connected to the +1 and +2 terminals on the speakon connector which are of course marked. On the speakon cable itself, there are no markings on either end so I really don't know how to know what configuration I'm in. I was under the impression that I wanted both ends of that cable to also be +1 and +2. I've tried every possible series of configurations and I can't get any output from the sub. What should I try next?

The inuke3000dsp is set to bridged mode.

I used a 9V battery and tested the end of the speakon cable that goes into the amp and when the + and - terminals of the battery are hooked up the subs cone moves in the correct direction. I did this test to rule out the possibility that a wire came loose inside the box and to ensure polarity was correct.

Which direction should I move in next fellas?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Their are markings on speakon cable. Marked 1 and 2 plus and minus. Both ends have to be correct for it to work. Stocksetting is 1plus and 1 minus.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Their are markings on speakon cable. Marked 1 and 2 plus and minus. Both ends have to be correct for it to work. Stocksetting is 1plus and 1 minus.
Found the markings finally, tough to see. So I've got them hooked up to +1 and +2 across the board and still nothing. What to look at next to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
I don't see any markings anywhere on either end of the cable...
It's on the black plastic inner piece and on the sides of the blue piece.

If you're trying to run bridged, the amp side 1+ and 2+ are the poles you want to use. Make sure the amp is configured for bridged operation. You can match to whatever your terminal is hooked up to on the sub side.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
Found the markings finally, tough to see. So I've got them hooked up to +1 and +2 across the board and still nothing. What to look at next to troubleshoot?
Make sure the amp is configured for bridged operation. Hook up everything up, then pull the screw on cap off the speakon connector on the sub and put a volt meter on 1+ and 2+ and make sure you have voltage there.

Also, if you want to save the dsp file and upload it so we can check your config, i'll take a look.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you hook your inuke up to your computer, does the gauge move at all? If not, the problem lies in your input.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yep... been there...Your wiring looks good from the amp out... and the drivers look good... so... look more closely at the wiring into the amp.... what are you using for an AVR ? and how is it connected to the amp?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you hook your inuke up to your computer, does the gauge move at all? If not, the problem lies in your input.
No movement on the gauge at all. So it's an input problem... how should I troubleshoot that? If a plug a regular male/male RCA from the AVR to a commercial sub the sub works so I know the subwoofer preout works on the AVR. I would think the chances of having a "bad" RCA/XLR 3ft cable out of the bag is pretty slim. I've heard of people not getting enough voltage out of their AVR to inukes, but most say you at least get SOME sound it's just diminished and I'm getting zero. What next gentlemen?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would check the cablw with an ohm meter.....sounds like a bad cable to me. Denon should have plenty of output...mine does Also try changing channels on the inuke input.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would check the cablw with an ohm meter.....sounds like a bad cable to me. Denon should have plenty of output...mine does Also try changing channels on the inuke input.
I can try another cable but it will take some time to get another. In the meantime I could try the other channel... but can I use Channel B for input if I'm using bridged mode (Channel A) output?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I can try another cable but it will take some time to get another. In the meantime I could try the other channel... but can I use Channel B for input if I'm using bridged mode (Channel A) output?
That's the same RCA -> XLR cable I am using. I have heard mixed reviews on them, I got lucky with mine but it seems you were not so lucky :(

Channel A is the only active channel when in bridged mode. Have you tried in dual mode? A small PITA to rewire, but would help in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Do you have a radio shack nearby?
I used an RCA cable to a "Y" cable from there.
I was going to buy an RCA-1/4" Mono adapter, but that was like $9, right next to the adapter was a RCA- Y with (2) 1/4" plugs for like $5- I just use 1 of the 1/4" plugs, and saved $4.
Going to this arrangement I also got rid of a small HUM i had with just an XLR adapter, where they tied in the extra pin....totally unbalanced now, and no hum.

My Denon 988 has plenty of output voltage to drive my 3K.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the same RCA -> XLR cable I am using. I have heard mixed reviews on them, I got lucky with mine but it seems you were not so lucky :(

Channel A is the only active channel when in bridged mode. Have you tried in dual mode? A small PITA to rewire, but would help in troubleshooting.
I have not tried dual mode. Is there a way using a meter or something to test if a RCA/XLR cable is "bad" or not?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have a radio shack nearby?
I used an RCA cable to a "Y" cable from there.
I was going to buy an RCA-1/4" Mono adapter, but that was like $9, right next to the adapter was a RCA- Y with (2) 1/4" plugs for like $5- I just use 1 of the 1/4" plugs, and saved $4.
Going to this arrangement I also got rid of a small HUM i had with just an XLR adapter, where they tied in the extra pin....totally unbalanced now, and no hum.

My Denon 988 has plenty of output voltage to drive my 3K.
Yeah I've heard of very few if any people having lack of voltage from Denon AVRs so I wouldn't think that's the problem. There is a Radio Shack close by but I think it's closed for the holiday. I'd like to be able to identify the RCA/XLR cable as the problem first though if possible through a test if there is one.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts