AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to install a Seleco SIM2 HT200 DLP projector in my home -- then I read about all the complaints of really bad rainbowing effects with it. I'm rethinking my approach, and I could really use your help!

Background: I have to mount this projector on the back wall of my living room, 18 feet from the 85'x48' screen. I'm mostly be using it for NTSC television and S-Video connections from video games, with occasional DVD movie watching. I've wired up the projector location with an S-Video connection, nothing more.

I've decided to avoid the expense of wiring for a component connection at this time, and I'm not interested in HDTV compatibility at this point -- a lot can change by the time when HDTV is in widespread use, and most likely I'll take advantage of the opportunity to upgrade a lot more than just my projector when that time comes.

(1) I've never actually seen a DLP projector in operation (no dealer I've contacted has one), so I have no idea how bad the rainbowing problem is. I live in Orlando, Florida. Does anyone know of a dealer or a homeowner in this area who has one and wouldn't mind showing it off?

(2) What new DLP projectors are coming out soon in the sub-$10,000 price range which might offer good quality and less rainbows?

(3) Given that my requirements right now are fairly meager, are there other good-quality projectors for much less price I should consider? I want a good, bright, colorful image, but I've been living with a 35" TV set for years and just about anything will be an upgrade from that! I know Seleco is offering a HT200DM model which further reduces (but still doesn't eliminate) rainbows, but that jumps the price from $8,000 to $11,000 and I probably won't make use of its additional features.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Brian, from all indications, the HT200DM pretty much eliminates rainbow artifact. You can also look at the new Sharp 9000 and Seleco apparently will debut the HT300 at Cedia. Both of the last two are native 16:9. If Seleco stays in form, the lens on the HT300 will be pretty long throw which, as John pointed out, is a major consideration for your set up.

You are right to stay away from the older generation of DLP if rainbow artifact is a major concern. The single RGB wheel in those is very prone to rainbow, which made it necessary for me to give up on that as well.

The only problem I can see is you'll have some difficulty staying under $10K with either of these, though I would expect the Sharp to be discounted to around $10K. You might check with AVS and find out what their price is going to be on the HT300.

Hope this helps!

Dan

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Brian,

You should check with the fine AVS crew about the HT200DM pricing as you may be surprised.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Brian,

You MUST see a DLP projector before making a purchase. MUST! MUST! MUST!

A small percentage of the population suffers from the "Rainbow Effect," and there is no way of telling if you will be plaqued by these anomalies unless you spend some time viewing a DLP. I understand that a Runco VX-101c is a great candidate for this test--but don't spend too much time with it, you may go blind! Only kidding!

From what I've read about your needs, I think a nice LCD would fit nicely into your plans. You should ask a few LCD owners on this board for some input.

Good luck,

Peter

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You should never buy any projector you have not seen. All projectors have their good and bad points and in my view none are perfect.

between black level,artifacts,screendoor,rainbow,noise,bulb cost and many other things it takes some planning. Then you need to worry about throw distance,mounting,light output etc.

This is a great forum but it goes hot and cold on all projectors (at some stage) so it depends on who is doing the talking and what is the latest and greatest with the highest spec. One day something is hotter than hell and the next week it is a waste of space. Do not get me wrong its good to take opinions but in the end let your eyes tell you what is right or wrong.

I have a Crt and a Dlp and I know the goods and bad things about them. I was spending 13K on a Dlp early this year and my wife and I flew to Vegas to make sure I was happy with my purchace.

I guess my wife and I are lucky in that we do not see the rainbow effect on our Dlp but as we know others on this forum do and you also may see it on 1 chip units.

10K is not chump change so look at all your options before spending the green on a wrong choice.

DavidW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.