AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It occurrs to me that the price of the HT200 having been recently lowered to an MSRP of $6995 (hence, an even lower street price), a potent and affordable package could be assembled which combines this projector with a panamorph.

Think about it. The HT200 has great color and contrast but utilizes the older 600x800 4x3 chip. But with the panamorph doing the heavy lifting optically for the anamorphic squeeze, who needs a 16x9 chip or a fancy scaler? These two pieces ought to work great together, and I bet the package could be had for $8K or less. If DVD is one's primary source and rainbow isn't a factor, This could be the ticket.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

Because if DVD is the primary source, the scaling in the HT200 is adequate, and for anamorphic DVD's, the projector can be left in "normal" (4x3), allowing the panamorph to squeeze optically rather than relying on the HT200 to do it electrically.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have seen a Panamorph on a SVGA DLP from Plus and I thought it made a great improvement. The pixels where nice and close, and the overall look was much improved by this fill factor.

The Panamorph should go very well with any Seleco. Seleco shoot on axis and have a mech lens shift so no drama with off axis. I have been very happy with the Panny on my XGA.

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Pete:

Ok, I see what you're saying. I don't think, though, that the HT200 has to do any less scaling with the Panamorph in place. Since it's already higher resolution than a DVD, I don't think it has to squeeze anything - it just has to expand the source less in the vertical direction than in the horzontal. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Your point is taken, though, that an HT200 with a Panamorph would be an awesome combination! I just don't think the Panamorph is a factor in the decision to get a scaler.

- Dave

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dave T/Pete/David,

I own a HT200 with a 96" wide Grayhawk screen. I am using it primarily with DVD(Toshiba 9100 progressive scan). My viewing distance is approximately 16'.

I am interested in making the next step and spending 1k-2k. What would you reccomend first, a scaler or the panamorph lens and why?

Thanks,

CGM

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
CGM:

It all depends on what you see as the limitation in your setup.

If you are seeing jaggies, or other scaler related artifacts, you may want a scaler. However, since you're already using a progressive DVD player, I'd bet you're all set in this department.

The Panny, on the other hand, will give you:

1) Reduced screen door

2) A 30% brighter picture

3) Reduced halo, and no halo for 16x9 sources.

But, from reports on this forum (I've yet to get mine), the Panny can be a pain to set up, and you'd need to figure out a way to locate it that was ascetically acceptable.

However, I'd like to suggest a third way to spend your dough: an HTPC! It would give you:

1) A better picture than all but the most expensive scalers could produce.

2) A way to organize and play all your CD's, using any of an number of free MP3 jukebox programs.

3) Surfing the web on a mondo screen!

4) If you have a digital camera, you can easily do great slide shows (I do this all the time, using Ofoto's free software.)

5) Playing computer games on the big screen.

6) It's fun!

Number 6 is definately debatable - if you're a techie, you'll find it a blast. If not, it may be a hassle. Up to you!

- Dave

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
> "...I don't think it has to squeeze anytining...

Dave,

If the DVD is an anamorphic transcription and the HT200 is left in "normal" (i.e. 4x3), the picture would be stretched

vertically -- people would be tall and skinny. The Panamorph would "squeeze" the picture optically back down to the widescreen format. At least this is what I witnessed at CEDIA. The results were stunning. I'd buy the Panamorph

before investing in a Native Rate. As for HTPC's, too much

futzing and fiddeling for me.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Pete:

That's because when it's set to 4x3, the scaler in the HT200 is stretching the image the same vertically and horizontally. If it is set to 16x9, or whatever they call the setting, it is just stretching the image less vertically than horizontally. Mathematically, this is trivial. A "real" scaler couldn't do this any better than the scaler in the projector, I would think. The real work of the scaler is to deinterlace. Since CGM already has a progressive DVD player already, my comment was that a "real" scaler wouldn't buy you much.

In any case, I still don't think having the Panamorph makes you need a scaler any more or any less, but I would agree that it could be money better spent (esp. if you already have a progressive DVD player.)

When you say that the HT200 with the Panamorph was stunning, were you able to do a side by side comparison? Was the improvement due to something else than the reduced screen door, reduced halo, or increased brightness that I mentioned?

- Dave

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The screen door type look of the Plus was very obvious, yet with the Panamorph it was about the 4ft area before you could see the structure a little. The light spill area was also almost eliminated from around the screen and this light now appeared in the picture area. No doubt the overall light coming from the screen was visiably improved.

You can put it in front then take it away and switch to 16:9 and you could clearly compare. The Panamorph is simple to use as a table top mount. Its when you get into ceiling and hush boxes it is a little more involved.

I would not swap having the Panamorph especially now that I have owned and used one, thats for sure.

DavidW

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dave/David,

My Ht200 is ceiling mounted. How much of a pain is it to ceiling mount the Panny? Can I leave it installed all of the time or do I need to remove it to watch certain source material(ie.4x3)

Thanks,

CGM

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
CGM

No its pretty simple really. The only thing that you must remember is that the Panamorph will project the image down from the ceiling further than standard. The total amount will depend on your throw distance. Lets say you have a 200" Throw distance your projector will mount 16.2" higher (toward ceiling). If it was 100" Throw the it would mount 8.1" higher.

Its 0.081 x your throw distance.

I hope this helps.

DavidW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.