AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ted in service at Sim2SelecoUS took an ht200dm and measured the actual screen width for 226" throw for me. In 16/9, image was 76" wide with a 2" "glow" on both sides. In 4/3,image was 71.5" wide with 2" of "black" (turned off pixels) on both sides.

For 4:3 screen I think I would recommend odd size of 76"x53.6" with a 2" black border. This is height for 71.5"x53.6" (4:3)and width for 76" widescreen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Randy, it sounds like you want to use the HT200DM on a 4:3 ratio screen... is that right?

I think most people with this projector will prefer a 16:9 ratio screen, where 4:3 video is formatted by the projector to sit in the center, with black bars on the edges. Aside from the natural match to DVD movies and HDTV with a 16:9 ratio screen, the other reason is refresh rate. The DLP chip runs at a slower refresh rate in 4:3 (800 x 600) mode, compared to 16:9 (848 x 480) where some of the mirrors are shut down. The faster refresh rate in 16:9 mode means slightly better performance, and fewer image artifacts.

So, in theory, you'll get a better 4:3 image with this projector if you use a 16:9 ratio screen, and keep the projector in 16:9 mode full-time, with your 4:3 material formatted in black bars.

I know that some people prefer to run 4:3 video on a big 4:3 screen, with 16:9 "letterboxed" in the middle. It's nice for computer games and old movies. I just thought I'd mention the performance trade-offs when running this particular projector in the full 800 x 600 mode. It's a subtle effect, you may not notice the difference… but I think I can see a smoother image in the 848 x 480 mode.

I don't know if this helps or not. Let me know if there's any other info I can give you. I just got one of these projectors recently and I've been fooling around with it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. Are you sure 4:3 in middle of screen doesn't look better because it's smaller? I don't see why one wouldn't want 848x480 for DVD and 800x600 for TV shows. That should be best of both dual mode worlds. Only wish there was room for variable masking both directions.

Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.