AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Sim2 HT300 with 2.12 software now, and calibrate with Avia for the interlaced and progressive inputs. Is there some way to calibrate a High Definition picture, coming in at 1080i?

I prefer the interlaced picture for DVD, so that allows me to dedicate the progressive input for HiDef. After calibration, DVD looks great but the HiDef picture seems rather dark, by comparison. I then have to boost brightness and contrast by eye, which leads to a lot of fussing.

My Toshiba HDreceiver only has a 1080i component output. I have two high-quality component cables going to the single input on the RI2 via an Inday switch (which has not affected picture quality vs. swapping cables in and out).

The HDNet picture is fabulous as-is and doesn't need tweaking, but HBO seem to be much darker (both via satellite). CBS (via antenna) also seems to be darker than HDNet or DVD. Anyone else see something like this?

Thanks for your input! (Be back Monday...)

-John6002

·
Registered
106 Posts
John6002,

I have an HD Receiver in addition to regular DirecTV and interlaced DVD. I also see the differences from source to source and even station to station as you have described. I also use an Inday switch for component input switching. I do not believe there is any way to calibrate multiple devices on the same input with the HT300 as there are no user accessible memory settings.

When I had an RPTV, I calibrated it to Avia/VE and never touched my settings no matter what else I watched. With the HT300 though, I tweak as necessary.

But 90% of my tweaking is just the Brightness setting. Once in a while I might bump Contrast up for the darker stations/programs such as HBOHD as you mentioned.

You might want to check your Gamma setting. I leave mine on Video nearly all the time, even though Film mode works well for HDNet and some DVDs. I switch it to Graphics mode for game consoles.

I have an HT300, not plus running 2.13.01 software.

--Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.