AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm currently upgrading my system and have a BIC F12 and HTD! Level 2 center in place. I'm looking for a set of front speakers and I'm kind of lost at the moment.

I originally thought of getting the HTD Level 2 tower speakers but have heard others say if you have a sub, you could get more bang for your buck with some bookshelfs (I understand it's best to match your front array, but my mind immediately went to Ascend 170SE).

Could I get some input or suggestions here?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need/should mate the center with the l/r fronts

You can look at the HTD Level Two bookshelf speakers
I understand, but I can always count the level 2 center ($150) as a "loss" and replace it down the road to build an overall better system.

I just don't want to get the level 2s and be disappointed :/. Not hearing a lot about them, kind of making me second guess

·
Registered
19,804 Posts
I just don't want to get the level 2s and be disappointed :/. Not hearing a lot about them, kind of making me second guess
They have been mentioned many times on the forum

I have also owned the Level Two speakers

They are one of the better options at their price compared to retail

However nothing wrong with exploring other options - what is the real budget?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have been mentioned many times on the forum

I have also owned the Level Two speakers

They are one of the better options at their price compared to retail

However nothing wrong with exploring other options - what is the real budget?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOYrdpkHQGo
Thanks for the replies by the way!

Budget is around or below $500. I believe my sub will be able to cover the entire low frequency range, so would I be wasting money if I got the (or any) towers as opposed to bookshelf speakers?

·
Registered
19,804 Posts
Thanks for the replies by the way!

Budget is around or below $500. I believe my sub will be able to cover the entire low frequency range, so would I be wasting money if I got the (or any) towers as opposed to bookshelf speakers?
I would put the money towards bookshelves and a center,
even if you stay with HTD, and if you change brands.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I really have enjoyed my HTD Level 3s.

I actually am making a deal with HTD that you couldn't have with a retail company. I am trading my Level 3s for Level 2 towers.

I'm upgrading my front stage and will use the Level 2 towers as surrounds replacing my Pioneer FS52 towers which I will sell.

I will probably always have some HTD product in my set-up because of their customer service (which is really good once you get ahold of them). Easy to talk to and knowledgeable about their products.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really have enjoyed my HTD Level 3s.

I actually am making a deal with HTD that you couldn't have with a retail company. I am trading my Level 3s for Level 2 towers.

I'm upgrading my front stage and will use the Level 2 towers as surrounds replacing my Pioneer FS52 towers which I will sell.

I will probably always have some HTD product in my set-up because of their customer service (which is really good once you get ahold of them). Easy to talk to and knowledgeable about their products.
Thanks for that! Now I'm debating between the level 2 towers/bookshelf and level 3 bookshelf!

How do they compare in your opinion?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I've never heard the level 2s. Only read about them. If you have a sub, I would suggest the level 3s. But that means you will also need a new center.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Why is it you're trading your level 3's for level 2 towers?
I am upgrading my front stage, which is where my Level 3s are.

I will get a "store credit" when I send back my currents which I will use to get the Level 2 towers which will be used as surrounds. Then I will closet my current surrounds, the Pioneer FS52s, or sell them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I tried the level two towers and compared them to the Ascend CMT-340's. The Ascends sounded a lot better. I thought the HTD sounded good but when the Ascends arrived and I was able to compare them to each other it was obvious the Ascends were a better sounding speaker. I ended up returning the HTD speakers. I haven't heard the CMB-170's though. Here's the link to my review. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1848962-ascend-cmt-340se-htd-level-2-towers.html

·
Registered
19,804 Posts
For a tight budget I would still look at bookshelf speakers

Wharfedale Diamond is on sale
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15476-wharfedale-diamond-101-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15500-wharfedale-diamond-10cs-center-channel-speaker-ea.aspx

NHT SuperOne 2.1 - 3 across the front for under $500 - look at second picture
http://www.nhthifi.com/

Ascend is still a good option - if you want to buy the center later

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody! You're all such a huge help!

I've thought about the Ascends and kind of put them to the side because of my budget, but now I'm wondering how they would stack up against some HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers.. Seems like comparing them to Level 2 towers is a little apple to orangey.

Does anybody know if the Ascends would provide much more sound quality (with possible personal preference aside) than the Level 3 bookshelf speakers?

Though, maybe getting Level 3 bookshelf speakers up front could provide an opportunity to upgrade later, swapping them to the rear in favor of some Level 3 towers.. So many possibilities! And I find myself thinking more in this thread than in my head haha

·
Registered
19,804 Posts
Does anybody know if the Ascends would provide much more sound quality (with possible personal preference aside) than the Level 3 bookshelf speakers?

Though, maybe getting Level 3 bookshelf speakers up front could provide an opportunity to upgrade later,
No one can guarantee you anything - as no one can speak for your ears.
You can always check the Level Three bookshelf out - if you do not like
them, then send them back.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No one can guarantee you anything - as no one can speak for your ears.
You can always check the Level Three bookshelf out - if you do not like
them, then send them back.
Never was looking for a guarantee, just a general opinion of the sound quality (like I said, with personal preferences aside) difference between the two sets.
I may just order the level 3 bookshelf set and forgo any further hassle - thanks for the replies everybody!

·
Registered
788 Posts
The best thing I did was order both the HTD and the Ascends. At first I ordered just the HTD speakers to compare to my Yamaha's. I then started to wonder about the Ascend's and how they would compare to the others. I'm glad I did because that was the only true way to tell which was better. If you order HTD and it's your first time ordering from them if you don't like them they will pay for the return shipping unless you order the towers. If I were you I would order both the HTD Level 3 bookshelf and the Ascend 170's and compare them in your listening environment. Which ever you don't like you can send back.

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody! You're all such a huge help!

I've thought about the Ascends and kind of put them to the side because of my budget, but now I'm wondering how they would stack up against some HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers.. Seems like comparing them to Level 2 towers is a little apple to orangey.

Though, maybe getting Level 3 bookshelf speakers up front could provide an opportunity to upgrade later, swapping them to the rear in favor of some Level 3 towers.. So many possibilities! And I find myself thinking more in this thread than in my head haha
Though no one can answer the bolded question, you will find your answer quickly if you are able to grab a bookshelf pair of both to test out side by side.

The ribbon on the Level 3 is very neutral and clear, but that maybe just the way I'm portraying it. The clarity is great with music, especially at it's price range. I feel like the dome tweeters I have listened to are a little more dynamic, which I prefer for movies and specific genres of music.

The driver on the Level 3 is very relaxed and clean. By my research and reading, the drivers of the CMTs are a little more present and punchy, but that was also with the CMT 340s, which poses dual drivers.

Overall I feel the Level 3s are a musical dream for the price they are listed at. If I didn't listen to as much music as I do, I probably would own different speakers (Ascends or EMPTeks)

·
Registered
788 Posts
bgtighe23,
Were you able to compare the Ascend's to the HTD Level Three's? I would think the Level Two towers would be a step backwards from the Level Three bookshelf speakers in terms of sq.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
If you can still return the Level 2 center, I would do so and buy the Level 3 bookshelves and center.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.