AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’ve pretty much narrowed my LCR front stage down to the HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers and a HTD Level 3 center or three CG-25 speakers from RSL.

A little history....

I own the RSL speed woofer 10 and really enjoy it very much for music and movies.

I also own the HTD speaker stands and I think they are very good speaker stands and are of high quality.

For movies I enjoy clear dialogue and a speaker that can play loud.

For music I like a slight forward live fun sounding speaker.

I believe both of these speakers check all of these boxes.

The RSL seems to have a higher quality crossover that will provide many years of quality sound. I’m not sure of the crossover quality in the HTD speakers.

The HTD price for the LCR setup is half the cost of the RSL LCR setup.

HTD come in at $650 and the RSL’s come in at $1,250.

Both seem to have a nice build quality for the price.

HTD sound demo:
https://youtu.be/U0VvhTJtFQ0

RSL CG-23 sound demo “I couldn’t find any sound demos for the bigger CG-25’s”
https://youtu.be/M56716vvOdY

Also three CG-23’s would be about the same cost of the HTD Level 3 speakers for a fairer cost comparison.

Three CG-23’s come in at $600

Has anyone auditioned both of the RSL or the HTD Level 3 speakers.

We watch and listen to about 50/50 music and movies.

Room size is 15x13x8’ ceilings

Subwoofer is a RSL Speedwoofer 10.

Many thanks for your time....!!!!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Hello all,

I’ve pretty much narrowed my LCR front stage down to the HTD Level 3 bookshelf speakers and a HTD Level 3 center or three CG-25 speakers from RSL.

A little history....

I own the RSL speed woofer 10 and really enjoy it very much for music and movies.

I also own the HTD speaker stands and I think they are very good speaker stands and are of high quality.

For movies I enjoy clear dialogue and a speaker that can play loud.

For music I like a slight forward live fun sounding speaker.

I believe both of these speakers check all of these boxes.

The RSL seems to have a higher quality crossover that will provide many years of quality sound. I’m not sure of the crossover quality in the HTD speakers.

Both seem to have a nice build quality for the price.

HTD sound demo:
https://youtu.be/U0VvhTJtFQ0

RSL CG-23 sound demo “I couldn’t find any sound demos for the bigger CG-25’s”
https://youtu.be/M56716vvOdY

Also three CG-23’s would be about the same cost of the HTD Level 3 speakers for a fairer cost comparison.

Three CG-23’s come in at $600

Has anyone auditioned both of the RSL or the HTD Level 3 speakers.

Many thanks for your time....!!!!
I think rsl has "b" stock ... The cg 25 i think are the best , but not knowing your taste in speakers it's just a guess.. My point about b stock is that the cg 25 would be a much greater value at just a bit lower price..

·
Registered
19,886 Posts

Also three CG-23’s would be about the same cost of the HTD Level 3 speakers for a fairer cost comparison. Three CG-23’s come in at $600.

CG23 have 4" woofers, so they'd do poorly against the other 2. I'd remove them from consideration.

Since both HTD and RSL provide free return shipping, obvious thing to do is home demo both.

There are a number of other MTM options like Chane A2.4, Ascend 340SE, and Hsu HC-1 but none of them come with free return shipping.

Personally, if your budget extends all the way up to $1250, I'd do 3 x Ascend Sierra 1 if you're set on bookshelves over towers.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have never owned a RSL product, I hear their products are great. I have owned some level three and was extremely impressed with the build quality. In the end I sent the HTD back for some chane speakers.

I would strongly recommend chane A2.4 or their newer 700 series that will drop soon.

I'd also recommend some 340se

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zorba....

Thanks for the recommendations of the Chane A2.4.
I just listened to the A1.5 sound demo and they are impressive.

I sold my JBL studio 230 to my buddy. They were nice but a little muddy in the mid range. I’m sure I could have kept them and upgraded the crossover or added some more sound panels but I wanted to try something new.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
but I wanted to try something new.
Well, if you're able to do towers, Emotiva T-Z or T1+ with C2+ center would run you just $800-1100 (maybe a little less, somebody on another thread found an online discount code on the C2) and would likely trounce all of these 3 x MTM options.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Your going sideways from the 530s
Well, the CG25 have TWO 5.25" woofers vs a single 5.25" on the 530s ... so at the very least he's assured of getting more headroom than with the 530s and esp. with the 520C.

If his focus is on HT/TV/gaming not music and he likes things on the loud side, it might be a good idea.

Especially if WAF is a factor at all...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I fully expected to love the 530s, but... I don’t. They sound fine, just not special in any way. Their looks are a big negative, though. I like the looks of my speakers without grilles, and the 530s look terrible without their grilles. Hopefully the RSLs sound good to my ears and I’ll be happy with them, but if not, they can go back just like the JBLs are going to.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, the CG25 have TWO 5.25" woofers vs a single 5.25" on the 530s ... so at the very least he's assured of getting more headroom than with the 530s and esp. with the 520C.

If his focus is on HT/TV/gaming not music and he likes things on the loud side, it might be a good idea.

95% TV and Movies, usually running quite loud (for movies, at least) and WAF is definitely a factor. I mentioned elsewhere on this site that when I told my wife I was going to return the JBLs, she revealed to me that she was glad since to her they look like female anatomy. :LOL:

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your going sideways from the 530s
Would you feel the same way if I was looking at SVS Ultra Bookshelves/Center for my LCR? I’m not sure if I’d step all the way down to the Prime Satellites for the rears, or just the Prime Bookshelves. I love my SVS sub and was initially planning to go this route, but found several reviews indicating the Ultras were not all that special.

Then I found RSL and realized they are like 10 minutes from my house. Read up on their history a bit, and really started leaning their way. Especially after the founder’s son responded to my e-mail inquiries and continued a conversation over e-mail that told me all I need to know about their level of service.

Reactions: jaybo666

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
95% TV and Movies, usually running quite loud (for movies, at least) and WAF is definitely a factor. I mentioned elsewhere on this site that when I told my wife I was going to return the JBLs, she revealed to me that she was glad since to her they look like female anatomy. :LOL:
I'd look at the JBL Stage speakers sold at Crutchfield, esp. if you can do towers. They look much less controversial than the Studio series and I'd expect them to be of comparable HT performance as the RSL speakers for less money.

Reactions: luvnhateSony

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd look at the JBL Stage speakers sold at Crutchfield, esp. if you can do towers. They look much less controversial than the Studio series and I'd expect them to be of comparable HT performance as the RSL speakers for less money.
Can’t do towers, this is my master bedroom system.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh, and I’m getting a great deal on the RSLs due to their blemish sale. They marked down an entire shipment due to a few flaws they found on inspection. I’ve been assured they’re very minor and most won’t notice them. Still returnable, though, if I find otherwise. The three CG25s and two CG5s will run me right around $1500 delivered.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
You're far from the first to mention that...

·
Registered
425 Posts

Yes. Having experienced both the RSL CG25/5s and the 530s there’s NOTHING sideways about this move in my view. RSLs are both excellent for Music and Movies and I personally enjoyed them more than the 530. The RSLs definitely Imaged better and were easier to drive providing to your point, added headroom. The CG25/5s are Beautifully balanced and engaging speakers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes. Having experienced both the RSL CG25/5s and the 530s there’s NOTHING sideways about this move in my view. RSLs are both excellent for Music and Movies and I personally enjoyed them more than the 530. The RSLs definitely Imaged better and were easier to drive providing to your point, added headroom. The CG25/5s are Beautifully balanced and engaging speakers.
Thank you for this response! Really glad to hear a positive direct comparison.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts