AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some other speakers comparable to the HTD lvl 3's. I plan I getting a vtf 2 mk III Hsu sub and I just want the best possible speakers for that price range. About $1300 for the 5 speakers not including the sub.

Any other speakers I find always ends up being $2000-$4000 just for the 2 towers...Im not having any luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those look pretty nice, Bookmarking that page
One thing I might add is, I will be mainly using these for movie viewing. I'd say 90% movies 5% tv and 5 % Music.

Anymore recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
All things being equal, I'd go with conventional dome tweeters over ribbons if I was setting up a 90% movie package. Ribbons and planars do not have a great deal of vertical dispersion and tend to sound best at ear level. That's why I went with Ascend 340s L/C/R. You can put the savings into the sub and upgrade to the HO model. IMO, that's a killer movie set up.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
phantomxc,

What receiver/amp will you be using? What's the approximate width of your HT room? What's the approximate size of your display? And, will everyone be sitting close to the center of your display or more off to the side?

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Movies always incorporate music, and much of it is a very good hi-fidelity variety.

Luscious strings, brilliant piano, exquisite singing, deep thundering drums ... all courtesy of Hollywood.

The main difference is, you often only listen to Movie music once or twice, and that can make it even more special.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
For the price the HTD Level 3 setup is hard to beat plus you get the high quality of the towers that could make you a music fan again (it did that to me). The ribbons have very good horizontal dispersion and the vertical, while more limited, is something I wouldnt be concerned about, in fact, normally you will prefer limited vertical dispersion to minimize ceiling reflections for instance unless you have various levels of sitting height.

Just make sure you sit at ear level or a bit higher.

My Strata Minis are much more sensitive to the vertical plane than my HTD towers. With the minis I HAVE to sit at least at ear level with the tweeter or I could easily tell the difference in the highs.

If you want to buy now, I really say go for it...if you want to wait then Mark from av123 is getting ready some stuff that on paper seems awesome and based on his track record I am sure it wont dissapoint anyone.

Regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My reciever is the Panasonic SA-XR57S. Ive been looking at the Klipsch F-2 more and I think Im going to go listen to them at my local BB. Can't really beat 36 months of no intrest thats going on right now.

I was looking at the specs and I noticed it was 100 watts RMS over 8 ohms...and I really have no idea what that means but my reciever is 100 watts over 6 ohms. So does this mean Im going to need an amp to get the full power out of these speakers. Will they even work with my reciever?

as for the size of my room that Could be changing in the next few months, My screen is 56 inches and the seats will be basically right in front of the tv, Id say 12 feet back. but that may be changing soon as well...soo

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomxc /forum/post/0

My reciever is the Panasonic SA-XR57S. Ive been looking at the Klipsch F-2 more and I think Im going to go listen to them at my local BB. Can't really beat 36 months of no intrest thats going on right now.

I was looking at the specs and I noticed it was 100 watts RMS over 8 ohms...and I really have no idea what that means but my reciever is 100 watts over 6 ohms. So does this mean Im going to need an amp to get the full power out of these speakers. Will they even work with my reciever?

as for the size of my room that Could be changing in the next few months, My screen is 56 inches and the seats will be basically right in front of the tv, Id say 12 feet back. but that may be changing soon as well...soo

It would be best to consider the approximate dimensions of your next HT room before choosing a speaker system. If you have some idea of what this will be, it will help others advise you better. If the room dimensions of your next HT room are not predictable, I suggest holding off on buying speakers until you know.

Your receiver will drive a great many speakers satisfactorily. It's crossover of 80 Hz also will work well with many speakers. First estimate the approximate dimensions of your future HT room.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Swans Diva available from New Egg, The Audio Insider, and OZ Home Theater. 5.1 BC or 6.1 BC mains ($720 or $780), C3 BC Center ($330), and 2.1 BC surrounds ($330) would be hard to beat. Also, Ascend (340s, 340, 170s), Axiom (M50, VP150, M2), and are definitely worth a look as well. AV123 will be releasing the X-SLS floorstanders soon and matched with a X-CLS center and X-LS surrounds you'd have a very nice package under budget, though perhaps 1/2 a step below the other suggestions (which are right at or just over budget).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.