AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

A few months back I thought I had determined exactly what I was going to do to replace my old HTiaB... however it just didn't work out the way I hoped and I was forced to scrap my plans, so I'm starting fresh.

Situation:

My old 5.1 philips HTiB broke down. It's likely repairable for (estimated) 80 bucks, but before I waste my money, I'd like to view my options. The speakers are all decent for HTiB speakers, but they're 3 ohms, so they wont work with almost any new "real" receiver.

Budget:

I would prefer to spend around $300 now, and more later... however I would be willing to go up to $600 now (and more later) if it's worth it.

I realize my budget is very small, but my goal is to start purchasing equipment with the hopes of eventually replacing some aspects with better units. I originally had my eye on the Yamaha RXV-671 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QR56SE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= ).... however once I discovered my current speakers would not work with it, I had to shy away from it.

System will be used for:

HTPC movies and music

X-box gaming

Internet radio (either through HTPC or built in)

Eventually, I would like my system to:
  • 5.1 Surround
  • Have reasonably quality sound for movies and music at "immersive volumes" (for lack of a better description... basically, I'd like to be able to crank it a bit on not have distortion)
  • Have a firm base punch
  • Offer upscaling from composit(?) (whatever the red, yellow, and white connection is called)
  • Hopefully optical audio out, though this isn't a deal breaker - I have a surround sound gaming headset that would benefit from optical audio out

From the start, my system should:
  • Offer multiple HDMI connections
  • Run independent of the TV (in other words, I'd like to be able to have music playing from my HTPC without having the TV on)

I wouldn't complain if it had:
  • Phone app control
  • Built in internet radio

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do? Is there a cheap HTiaB that has speakers I could use with a new receiver later? Or perhaps includes a decent receiver I could upgrade the speakers to? Is there a cheap set of speakers I should just get with the receiver I really want, and upgrade the speakers later?

Thank you so, so much!

·
Premium Member
90,397 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That unit looks pretty sweet, and I certainly can't be upset with a Denon. Thank you for your help!

Any other thoughts or opinions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts