AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone 

I have a question regarding HTIBs and HD audio when using the hdmi input. 

SInce most new HTIB support DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD when playing a blu ray disc for example why it isn't possible to play these formats when they are coming through the hdmi in port ? Are there any HTIB out there that support this ? I've read that HTIBs can only process these formats internally but can't play any HD audio coming from an external source...Is that true? I have searched around and couldn't find a clear answer on this and if is this true why is that since they support HD Audio ?

Thanks in advance 

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
If you are referring to ARC (Audio Return Channel), the best ARC can do is 5.1 (just like an optical cable) because the ARC chipset is not capable of HD audio playback. It's a function of the ARC design, not the HDMI cable for example.

If you have an external source connected to your HTiB that is capable of sending HD audio, then the receiver should be able to decode it.

If you are connecting an external source to your tv, and then sending that to the receiver, the problem is the tv because tv's can't decode the HD formats and pass that along to the receiver for proper playback.

If you are talking about an all-in-one HTiB (integrated blu-ray player) that's a limitation of the design of the integrated system. It's always best to have a separate receiver and blu-ray player.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I was referring to all-in-one HTiB with integrated blu-ray player.  So since it's a design limitation i guess there are no HTiB of this category that support this feature. 

Basically i have a powerful pc which i use as the main source for watching movies(mostly downloadable stuff) .I have a TV connected to the PC and an old Samsung HTiB which i want to replace. So i want to send the video to the TV and i want to have HD Audio send from the PC to the HTiB. I was looking to buy the  SAMSUNG HT-F5500  or  SAMSUNG HT-F55 50 but after some search i realized i won't be able to send & play HD Audio though the HTiB. Is there a workaround for this problem? Or do i have to spend a lot more money on buying a separate receiver ? 

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful 

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I was referring to all-in-one HTiB with integrated blu-ray player.  So since it's a design limitation i guess there are no HTiB of this category that support this feature. 

Basically i have a powerful pc which i use as the main source for watching movies(mostly downloadable stuff) .I have a TV connected to the PC and an old Samsung HTiB which i want to replace. So i want to send the video to the TV and i want to have HD Audio send from the PC to the HTiB. I was looking to buy the SAMSUNG HT-F5500 or SAMSUNG HT-F5550 but after some search i realized i won't be able to send & play HD Audio though the HTiB. Is there a workaround for this problem? Or do i have to spend a lot more money on buying a separate receiver ? 

I guess the ONKYO HT-S4505 can get the job done for me and it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg what do you think?

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful 

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
The Onkyo looks decent for an entry level system. It does have an active sub-woofer so the bass response will be much better than a passive sub-woofer. Most integrated HTiB's (blu-ray player included) have passive sub-woofers which means that the sub derives its power from the blu-ray player. Active sub, otoh, have their own power supply.

If you need/want a blu-ray player you can easily find very nice ones for about $150 that have all of the current a/v formats. I don't know if you want or need 3D so you'll have to make sure that whatever you get is 3D capable.

ARC is a nice feature to have but keep in mind two things. ARC isn't fully standardized so there may be some issues between different mfrs on the implementation of ARC. Also, ARC is only capable of passing 5.1 audio. It cannnot pass HD audio (lossless). The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need to use an optical cable (which is also only capable of 5.1 audio).

You can't really separate the video from the audio on HDMI. It's all encoded as one. There may be HDMI splitters but I think that just splits the HDMI signal to multiple devices keeping the a/v portions intact. So you need to connect HDMI to the receiver and then HDMI to the tv. That way, the receiver decodes the audio portion in what ever format it was sent in and then sends the video to the tv (keeping the tv speakers turned off).

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Good luck. If you buy separates (receiver, blu-ray player, speakers) check out the forums that are specific to those devices. You'll find lots of help and recommendations there. Just post your budget for which ever item you're looking for because that will tailor the help to you specific need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts