AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I apologize in advance for my complete n00b-ishness. I recently purchased an SLS QS1000 system:

http://www.slsloudspeakers.com/content/view/40/53/

To go with my Sony Grand Wega KDS-60A2020 HDTV:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=20004511

Being that the TV has a much nicer input selection than the receiver, I bought an optical cable to connect them. So I got this all set up tonight, and the short version is that I get no sound from the speakers, specifically when trying to use my 360 connected to my TV's component input. The optical indicator on my receiver is blinking, which according to the manual means that there is no input signal. Well crap. I checked the connection, and the optical cable is plugged in properly on both the TV and the receiver, and I can't find any option on my TV that says "Turn optical output on". Everything seems to imply that it should happen automagically.

So what am I doing wrong? I really want this to work, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Do you mean you have only the optical from the TV to the receiver for sound? Usually the optical out from the TV will only let you hear broadcast TV and nothing else – at least that’s how mine works. I don’t know what kind of connections the 360 has, but you’d have to connect the component to the TV for video and optical, coaxial, or composite (red & white) to the receiver for audio.

Put simply, all of your different components like TV, DVD, 360, etc…need to have each of their audio outputs connected to the receiver’s audio inputs for sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bah, lame! The optical cable sounded like the simple solution. Didn't think it would be that complicated for the TV to send the audio through there. I don't have cable, so I can't test if it works with broadcast, but I don't have any reason to doubt you. Oh well. It looks like the TV also has a red/white output, so it's not a total lose. Glad that optical cable only cost me 4 bucks :p

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
By broadcast TV I mean stations you pick up with rabbit ears or some type of antenna. If you had a cable box you would connect the 'audio out' from the cable box to the receiver 'audio in'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts