AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

I'm doing a small theater room in the basement of my house (approximately 12x25) and am looking for a nice, solid HTIB that will process HDMI audio. My budget is between $500-$600. I've looked at the following units:

Panasonic SC-BT730

Sony BDV-E770W

It doesn't seem like either one of these will pass through HDMI audio but if it isn't too complicated and I won't lose audio quality I don't think running Optical is out of the question. I don't want anything that is going to shake the house off the foundation but I do want to have a nice surround sound without breaking the bank.

Also, I'm not going to be running ANY other devices, just the Blu-Ray.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
These are complete systems that come with a blu ray player. They decode HD audio internally already. You said you're not running any other devices so what are you worried about?

What would you be passing HDMI audio to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because the Blu-Ray player/receiver that comes in each of these systems will NOT decode HDMI audio according to the specs and reviews. You have to run a seperate optical audio cable from the Blu-Ray player/receiver to the television because the receivers won't process HDMI audio.

That is what I'm worried about.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
HDMI is just a transport cable. What you want is the ability to decode lossless audio from Blu-rays, which both of them do.

The Panasonic:

Quote:
Dolby® Digital Decoder Yes (Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus, Dolby® Digital)

DTS™ Decoder Yes (DTS™-HD Master Audio Essential, DTS™-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS™)

The Sony:

Quote:
Experience sound closer to the way it was captured with LPCM, Dolby® TrueHD and dts®-HD master audio codecs.11

So both systems will do the highest audio Blu-ray has to offer.

Quote:
You have to run a seperate optical audio cable from the Blu-Ray player/receiver to the television because the receivers won't process HDMI audio.

Why would you need to pass lossless audio to the TV? The TV can't do any better than stereo.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
That was my point! All you need to send to the TV is video. the blu ray/receiver will handle the audio including DTS-MA and TrueHD.

What literature were you reading that said it doesnt?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.