AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Samsung LN46A750 LCD TV with a PVR and PS3. I do not have a sound system, yet, for this setup. I have 4 HDMI input on my TV and I have the PVR and PS3 going into that and the sound is currently coming out my TV. My question is, the TV has an optical out if I were to get a HTIB would it have an optical in and would i be getting true surround sound from it if I ran the optical out from the TV to the HTIB? I have been looking at HTIB and I see that most only have 1 HDMI in and to get more, which I would need, I need to get an actual receiver or HDMI splitter. Anyone got any ideas about this? I would like to avoid getting an expensive receiver and speakers if possible.

·
Registered
28,802 Posts

Quote:
My question is, the TV has an optical out if I were to get a HTIB would it have an optical in and would i be getting true surround sound from it if I ran the optical out from the TV to the HTIB?

No, you would not. Your Samsung LCD only puts out stereo sound when outputting from the optical output from other sources. A cheap HTIB can matrix that sound into 5.1 but it would not be Dolby Digital or DTS quality. Its okay, but not nearly what you could get buy purchasing a real receiver.

Quote:
I would like to avoid getting an expensive receiver and speakers if possible.

What do you consider expensive? The Onkyo 606 receiver cost around $400 and has 4 HDMI inputs. Then you can buy a satellite/subwoofer speaker system like the Polk 6750 for $199 plus shipping from Fry's.
http://shop2.frys.com/product/4185043

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks this is what I was looking for. I have not looked too much into HTIB / Receiver as I just got my TV last week but it is something that I want to look into further in the near future. I guess if I go the receiver route, because it has multiple HDMI in's, I connect all my sources PVR and PS3 to the receiver using jsut HDMI and the receiver outputs the sound. Then do I run another HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV for video? Is that the best way to have everything hooked up?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, a single HDMI cable to the TV would work fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know that most NTIB only have an HDMI out to go to the TV which is why I would like to stay away from them now that I see you cannot run the optical out from the TV to the HTIB without loosing anything.

Is that the best way to hook everything up? PS3 and PVR connected to a Receiver using HDMI's and then from the receiver to the TV using a HDMI? Would I be missing anything?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arell12 /forum/post/14218653

Is that the best way to hook everything up? PS3 and PVR connected to a Receiver using HDMI's and then from the receiver to the TV using a HDMI? Would I be missing anything?

I'd also like to know the answer to this question. I've got the Samsung LN37A450 and a PS3, but I still have a regular Dish TV box with the standard coaxial (I believe) connection. Would I be able to get audio and video from everything at the same time or how would I go about switching my input mode on my TV to play the PS3? Also very new to all this so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
28,802 Posts

Quote:

Yes, it would be the best way and also very inexpensive. You'd only need 3HDMI cables. One for each device to the receiver and one from the receiver to the TV.

Three 6 foot HDMI cables from monoprice.com are less than $4 each.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Just make sure you buy the proper receiver. The Onkyo 606 (4 HDMI inputs), Yamaha 663 (2 HDMI inputs) can be found around $400 or less.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Would I be able to get audio and video from everything at the same time or how would I go about switching my input mode on my TV to play the PS3? Just change the source or input on the receiver. Since you have only one HDMI going to the TV that is all you need to do. As afrogt indicated this is the best way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice. And the coaxial coming in from my cable box can also still go straight to the tv or do receivers have input for them as well?

Thank you for the time as well.

·
Registered
28,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo4x4 /forum/post/14219954

Very nice. And the coaxial coming in from my cable box can also still go straight to the tv or do receivers have input for them as well?

Thank you for the time as well.

I'm betting your Dish box has more than just a coax jack. It probably has red and white audio outputs plus a yellow composite video output. Might even have s-video or component outputs. Take a look at it and see what else is available.

If all it has is coax in/out then just leave it as is. Receivers don't have RF inputs to connect a coax from the wall or cable box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts